“LOVELY HOTEL, BUT TIGHT SLOTS!” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Mohegan Sun Boulevard, Uncasville, CT 06382   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Voorhees, New Jersey
“LOVELY HOTEL, BUT TIGHT SLOTS!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We stayed just one night at Mohegan Sun at the end of June. The room was on the 32nd floor and had a great view of the lake. The 'de luxe' room we were allocated, early, at 1pm was modern and well appointed. In particular the bathroom was beautiful. However the $420 per night rate seemed excessive for anything less than a suite. All the hotel and restaurant staff provided good service and we enjoyed our meals.

The casino slots were tight throughout our stay and we did not see many people around us winning. I guess something has to pay for all the developments on this site. Comps and payouts in this and previous visits always seem much poorer than in Atlantic City or other casinos we have been to.

Bottom line is: come for the hotel, if you can make a day when the rates are lower, but stay out of the casino!

Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

This was our second single-night stay in a year. If you're visiting the casino, or like us, come for the shopping or events, the hotel has the advantage of allowing you to enjoy a late night out (indoors) and a walk "home". Like the rest of the complex the hotel looks gorgeous. The style is uniquely modern and earthy at the same time making the casino seem almost wholesome. The textures and colors of nature in all their diversity are present - wood, stone, animal, vegetable. The hotel tower itself looks like an icy crystal.
You get a choice of a smoking or non-smoking floor. View of the nearby Thames River from many rooms on upper floors from large window (entire outer wall). Our room had a kingsize bed (not oversized). Mattress felt new but not overly firm. Furniture and lamps had nice long lines. Scrupulously clean, which means a lot to me. Every surface scrubbed. Bathroom generous in size and well-lighted with multicolored mosaic tiles on the wide black marble vanity. A phone in W.C. Unfortunately the tubs should be redesigned. They are too large, slope too much, and have drainage problems. I slipped once but was lucky. Handicapped and older people come to casino, I wonder how they cope with tubs.
Staff is very friendly and try to be efficient. Valet parking is mandatory but no one makes you feel that you have to tip lavishly for this or other things. Diverse people enjoy coming here. Breakfast not included - no restaurant in the hotel (not sure about room service). Instead there is a nice buffet brunch area near the casino and lots of other tempting eating places to try. That's part of the fun.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2006

Rudest dealers i've ever encountered, dealers were actually laughing when we lost our bets !!
We were constantly being nagged for tips by the dealers. Also, when playing craps we were told we couldn't set the dice the way we wanted to throw them !! The hotel was totallly beat.
Our room wasn't even cleaned when we got to it !! We had to wait 2 hours before we finally got our room !! Food was terrible in the food court where we ate.

• Stayed February 2004
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

When they notified us 8am Saturday , the morning *after* our check in, (via a note in front of our door in the middle of the night ) that they had closed the pool & jacuzzi for our entire stay, we questioned the staff on the situation and each person we spoke to was ruder than the next.

The hotel manager was unbelievably insulting & looked up the price we paid for our room for 3 nights (I believe $200 per night) and told us: "For the price you paid you shouldn’t expect ANYTHING as far as amenities-no pool, no casino, nothing". Wow.

They then opened the pool either Saturday night or Sunday Morning but they never told anyone- lest they leave the casino to go for a dip.

We vowed to not drop a dime in their casino and didn’t, though we did have several nice meals (all around 100$) we stayed away from the ones that were directly owned by the casino.

So next time- I'll take my $600 (hotel) and (food) about $300 and approx. $600 (spa treatments) to the other casino in Connecticut – you know the one with the catchy theme song-“For the wonder of it all……Foxwoods.”

• Stayed April 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

What a place!! Me, my daughter, my friend and her daughter came to Mohegan Sun on February 16, 2006 for the INXS concert. The concert was excellent. Mohegan Sun is an amazing place..loved the architecture and the overall design of the building. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean (we were especially impressed by how shiny the lobby floors were) and the room was very nice. We had a quick dinner at Johnny Rockets before the concert and we went to Fidelias the next morning for breakfast. The food and service in both restaurants was very good. We will definately be going back. My husband and I have tickets for the April 30 Cirque Dreams show..looking forward to it.

• Stayed February 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

I just wanted to say that my husaband and I have stayed at the Sun numerous times. We have always had a great time. We,ve even brought our daughter along because she loves to go there since we live close by. It,s what you make of it! There,s so much to do. I can,t wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2004
Hoboken, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Sun 3/27-3/30. I had really low expectations. I live in NJ, so part of me thought it was silly to take a vacation in Connecticut. I was wrong. We had a fabulous time! Feel free to email me with any questions.

The hotel: Better than I expected. We had reserved a room back in January for this month, but were not able to get in on any deals. We were told we'd have a nice room with a view on a high floor, however. Last week, I discovered that there was going to be a special for at least one night we were there, and when my friend called, the hotel did give us the deal. The only glitch was that when we arrived, they gave us a room on a lower floor, but when we discussed it with the desk clerk she put us back on a high floor (27). However, when we got to the room, which was supposed to be nonsmoking, the room reeked of smoke and we discovered hidden cigarrette ashes. We called the front desk immediately and were offered an air filter, but when we pressed they did change our room to one just down the hall. This room was fine. It was very clean and had an even better view of the river. (My pictures do not lie. It really looks like that.)

My only other complaint about the hotel is that I had taken the train and the bus to get there, and when I arrived there was no one at the bus to take my bags or lead me to the hotel, so I had to traipse through the casino with my bags in search of the hotel. Mind you, the two casinos they have are HUGE.

Also, when we finally did check in, no one offered to bring our bags to the room. We had a feeling they were not as fully staffed during the week as they are on the weekend. Nor did they give us an orientation for our room, which became an important issue because they don't have the standard "Do not disturb/please make up the room" door hanging--there's a lightswitch instead which turns on and off an indicator in the hallway. This became a crucial issue when we went for almost an entire day without having our room cleaned.

BUT, that said, staying during the week is the way to go. We practically had the place to ourselves. The pool, which is small but very nice, was hardly used. And the hot tub was lovely. There's a nice little bar in the pool area with the friendliest bartender who makes yummy frozen drinks. Also, she walks around and offers everyone free bottles of water.

The restaurants: FABULOUS. Each night got progressively better. The first night we ate at Tuscany, inside the waterfall. I have certain dietary restrictions, and when we discovered that there was very little on the menu that I could eat, the waitress, rather than let me walk out of there and go to another restaurant, went out of her way to offer me alternatives. The chef modified one of the delicious entrees to suit my needs, and it turned out to be such an enjoyable meal. (Also, they have the best bread with bean dip.)

The second night we ate at Longhouse and had delicious steaks. The chocolate dessert was amazing. Again, we were treated so kindly.

The last night we ate at Rain. Rain is gorgeous, with plush seating and a beautiful glass wall of water. The service was outstanding. The food was...well, I can't even describe it, it was so good. Eat there. Trust me.

Avoid the buffet. The food ---, at least for lunch. Two good lunch options are the Cove, which has a sampling from the menus of Longhouse, Pompeii and Caesar, and Bamboo Forest, and Fidelia's, which has good regular food--very good breakfasts. We couldn't even finish, they gave us so much food.

For drinks, go to Leffingwell's. We didn't discover this until the last night, but we went twice--once before and once later that night, it was so good. It's built into the marble mountain in Casino of the Sky and it affords a 360 view of the casino. There are plush, overstuffed chairs throughout, and little intimate nooks to cozy up to your date, if you have one. The martinis are excellent.

The gambling: Mohegan Sun does not have a poker room. Pai Gow is huge there, and we didn't see too many regular blackjack tables. Something called Spanish 21 seems popular instead. There are a decent number of craps and roulette tables (beware the roulette wheel, however--I got hit in the mouth by the roulette ball and was offered no compensation). And of course, there are slot machines galore.

Shopping: The stores are so-so, but there are better shopping options off-site. Do check out Odyssey, however, for the built-in fish tanks.

We did take a little detour to Foxwoods one afternoon and while it certainly is enormous, I would not stay over there. It didn't seem as nice as Mohegan Sun. MS is definitely for the older crowd and it seemed that there were way more young people at Foxwoods, so if that's a factor for you, that's what you should know.

Most everyone who worked there was very friendly to us, and although the casino is a bit confusing to navigate, anyone we asked for help always gave it to us.

One more note: Mohegan Sun was very clean. The restrooms in the casinos were large and clean, and except for one snafu with the cleaning staff, our room was very clean.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!