“Excellent Hotel To Complement The Full Experience” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Mohegan Sun Boulevard, Uncasville, CT 06382   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Roseland, New Jersey
“Excellent Hotel To Complement The Full Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We visited Mohegan Sun last year for the first time, staying off premises, and wanted to come back and stay at the hotel for the full experience. We were very happy we did. We had a beautiful River Suite which was truly one of the best rooms we have stayed in, and we have stayed in a lot of places. The suite was huge, with a walk-in area, separate toilet for the living room, which had all to wall windows overlooking the casino and river on two sides; and the bedroom was the same. Wow, what a view! The bathroom was great. Both a walk-in shower and a bathtub, that had a full view of the river next to it with a huge window, including a shade that came down with a push of a button. (went well with the Lush store selling bath bars in the shopping area downstairs). No turndown service, but they give you plenty of towels for the day and night. Free WiFi and free morning paper. The staff was accommodating and friendly. Take the elevator down, and you are in the main shopping and restaurant areas, which we also like. For food, a lot of options running from Krispy Kreme/Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts and more for breakfast; Jasper White's Summer Shack, Michael Jordan's Steakhouse, Ballo, Tuscany, Margaritaville and more. Good shopping: Tommy Bahama's, Lush, Coach, a place that sold Alex and Ani things, and more. The pool and deck area were a little bit of a minus. Relatively small pool for a place this size, inside with windows that open to a deck. Hot tub with the usual sign that says no one under the age of 18 to use it, and a mother with two 3-6 year olds in it....so what else is new? Fairly large deck with rather stiff lounge chairs to sit outside. That area could use some improvements. Nice flat screen TVs in the suite. We have stayed in a lot of the places in Atlantic City, The Sands in Bethlehem, and have been to Las Vegas to a variety of places like Bellagio, Caesar's and the two Wynn ops. We think the ambiance of Mohegan Sun is the best of the bunch.

Room Tip: River views were really nice. The higher the better.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
MoheganSunCT, Manager at Mohegan Sun, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy that you had a great stay and enjoyed the view of the river! Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Dirty Smokey Rude....Mohegan has gone downhill....The Earth Casino is so smokey that I started to get a panic attack. The machines are dirty and I saw a woman wiping them down with a dirty gray rag. I remember the day they actually had spray cleaner-no more

When you spot smokers in the non-smoking casinos employees are reluctant to tell them to stop. They pretend that they don't understand what you are saying.

I saw a cockroach in the hall of tribes area and the employee there told me that you find cockroaches in all the good hotels no way to stop them people bring them in.

No place for children....
The grounds are beautiful but the real Indians of long ago wouldn't be caught dead in the casinos

Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We have been to Mohegan Sun a few times. The hotel is beautiful and clean. The rooms are nice. Unfortunately this time the bed in our room was extremely uncomfortable. They needed to turn the mattress. However we enjoyed the restaurants and shopping area. Gambling was fun. We were there on a Sunday and Monday. The hotel was a little quiet. The pool was nice and we got to relax in the sun We would come back but prices are out of control for weekends. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet ( huge). Bobby Flays Bar American was awesome. Great drinks at the pool. Nice getaway for a few days. Take the ferry from Long Island. It's such a nice way to travel there.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad to hear that you had a nice getaway and got to enjoy Bar Americain! Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!
Boynton Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This Mohegan culture-themed hotel is in the middle of nowhere. The hotel is very large and very imposing. The public areas are extrs spacious. But the room, itself, though nicely appointed, was small compared to rooms at its affiliated Resorts Hotel in Atlantic City.
The doors to the bathroom and the toilet are "barn" doors, which are hung on tracks/rollers mounted on the wall. The space is too small to have normal, hinged doors.
Wifi is free (a definite plus), but there are no convenient outlets in which to plug a charger.
Valet parking is free and convenient.
The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable, but lighting in the bathroom area was on the dim side.
A unique convenience is a door bell the size of a light switch, which has a red-lighted "do not disturb" and a green-lighted "make up room" signs, which are operated from a switch just inside the door.
There is a minibar, but beware! We were warned at the front desk that it is weight sensitive and lifting an item will immediately result in that item being charged to your room.
The minibar will not accomodate any guest items. We like to bring bottled water, but were unable to chill it in the minibar.
The hotel also has a nice outdoor/indoor pool
The view overlooked the vast casino roof, although we could see the river and the woods and hills beyond.
All-in-all, it was a nice stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Booked an overnight package at the Mohegan Sun through Travelzoo for our Anniversary celebration. The hotel was breathtaking. There were indoor waterfalls and spectacular decor everywhere you looked. Check in was fast and the staff very helpful and courteous. Our room #3109 was spotless and spacious with a view of the water and mountains. The bed was very comfortable. The stores in the hotel were set up as if you were in a huge Mall. There were various priced restaurants throughout the hotel to accommodate anyone's budget. We ate in the SolToro Tequila Grill. The restaurant was spotless and the food delicious and fairly priced. The casino was huge. Would have liked the hotel/casino to be a non smoking one but we stayed away, as best we could, from the smoking areas in the casino. When we went to the promotions booth for our card we were asked if we also had a card from any another casino. We didn't have any with us - why would we if we were going to the Mohegan Sun? We were told that if we had one to show them we would have received a $100 credit each on our card! That was disappointing as no where on their web site did I read anything like that. So be aware of that unknown perk. The free show at the Wolf Den was impossible to get in to even though we waited on line over an hour and others were waiting for two hours. The Wolf Den isn't that big and they should have a cut off on the line when they know that they couldn't accommodate any more people. You were able to hear the performers throughout the casino though and if you were in the right spot outside of the Wolf Den, you could see them too. Aside from the few negatives as stated above, all in all, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor overlooking the water. Our Room #3109 was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed SolToro Tequila Grill! Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have been to Mohegan Sun several times over the years but have never stayed on property due to the high price for rooms on weekends. I noticed they had very reasonable prices for rooms for midweek so I decided to take advantage of it and bring my parents along for a night out at the Casino. We arrived shortly after 1PM to be immediately greeted by a friendly valet who warmly welcomed us to the resort and directed us inside. Once inside we waited in a fairly long line to check-in. When it was our time to proceed to check-in, we inquired about changing our room type from a king suite to a 2 queen suite.The agent merely said she could change our reservation if we wanted her to, but there were no 2 queen suites offered but she would be happy to have someone come up in the evening to make up the sofa bed while we were out. We agreed to keep the room and to have someone make the bed up for us. She informed us that our room was not ready but they would call us the minute it was ready.

After dropping our bags off to be stored with the bellmen, we proceeded downstairs to the casino to try our luck and eventually grabbed some lunch. Having not heard anything for nearly 3 hours we decided to head back up to the counter to check the status of our room. Once we were waved over by an agent, we were told that our room had been ready and we should have received a call, but had not because our keys were still in the "to be called" pile. We received our keys and headed to our room.

The "King Cove Suite" was very nice and quite spacious. With a large 1/2 bath off the entry way and a gorgeous bathroom off the master bedroom and lots of closet space, it was definitely large enough to accommodate 3 people. The room was clean and for the most part in good working order, although the TV in the bedroom had been unplugged and 2 light switches in the bedroom did not turn on lights.

I was excited to head to the pool for a little bit of relaxation but once I saw the pool area, I knew that would not happen. The pool was filled with a large amount of kids and there were kids running around the pool area. Since the weather was not great to sit outside in the outside patio, I decided to just go back to the room and unwind before going back to the casino. While I understand kids are welcome and they deserve a place to have fun, I was disappointed that there was not a separate area/pool for families with kids and an "adult" pool,so to speak, for those who pay not want to dodge beach balls or cannon balls in the pool.

After a few hours of exploring the rest of the hotel and relaxing we headed back down to the casino to gamble, catch the show in the Wolf Den and have a nice dinner. We returned to the room around 11PM to find that the sofa bed was not made up for us. I thought maybe there was an oversight so I attempted to call down to the front desk, but was immediately put on a "momentary" hold. I hung up after being on hold for 5 minutes and made the bed up myself. At this time it occurred to me that the room was lacking pillows, only 2 on the king bed and 1 for the sofa bed. Far from a "resort" type expectation with lots of pillows available.While the sofa bed mattress was not the most comfortable, I was able to get a pretty good night sleep.

It definitely felt like service was lacking. While friendly enough, the 3 desk agents(2 at check-in,1 at check-out) did not personalize the experience at all. In fact, it felt more like they were just running through a script in the same type of voice and not really doing anything extra to make us feel special. I work in the industry and understand that each property has standards of service and the "do"s and "don't"s but I got the impression the voice and the dialog is the same from person to person. Surely I wasn't expecting to be treated like I was the headlining band at the arena or I was a dignitary, but it would have been nice to have a little more personal of a check-in/check-out experience where the agent took time to interact with us. Maybe they do with regular's and not first timer's, I don't know.

While nothing about the experience was "bad" it certainly did not meet my expectations. While we did not pay the usual $500+ a night for the suite and got a decent mid-week deal, there was no incentive to thank us for choosing to stay on site. Whether it's some credits to use at the casino or to not be charged to drink the Coke or eat the Snickers that were in the fridge, offering an incentive to those who stay on site would be nice. I more than payed for the Snickers and the can of Coke downstairs at the slots. Add the lack of personalized service I received at the desk and spending $500+ a night just doesn't seem ideal to me.

Even though I do live in Florida now and don't get to Mohegan often anymore, when I visit I will continue to go to gamble, but if I stay overnight I will likely choose an off site property to stay at as they seem to be a much better value.

Sorry Mohegan, love you as a casino but as a hotel you let me down...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stayed overnight with my mother and sister. We enjoyed a relaxing time by the pool. We were luck, it was a beautiful day. Pool service was excellent. It felt like we were away a couple of days rather than one night.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad that you had a nice stay and enjoyed the pool! Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!