“Top Notch Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Staten Island, New York
“Top Notch Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Booked an overnight package at the Mohegan Sun through Travelzoo for our Anniversary celebration. The hotel was breathtaking. There were indoor waterfalls and spectacular decor everywhere you looked. Check in was fast and the staff very helpful and courteous. Our room #3109 was spotless and spacious with a view of the water and mountains. The bed was very comfortable. The stores in the hotel were set up as if you were in a huge Mall. There were various priced restaurants throughout the hotel to accommodate anyone's budget. We ate in the SolToro Tequila Grill. The restaurant was spotless and the food delicious and fairly priced. The casino was huge. Would have liked the hotel/casino to be a non smoking one but we stayed away, as best we could, from the smoking areas in the casino. When we went to the promotions booth for our card we were asked if we also had a card from any another casino. We didn't have any with us - why would we if we were going to the Mohegan Sun? We were told that if we had one to show them we would have received a $100 credit each on our card! That was disappointing as no where on their web site did I read anything like that. So be aware of that unknown perk. The free show at the Wolf Den was impossible to get in to even though we waited on line over an hour and others were waiting for two hours. The Wolf Den isn't that big and they should have a cut off on the line when they know that they couldn't accommodate any more people. You were able to hear the performers throughout the casino though and if you were in the right spot outside of the Wolf Den, you could see them too. Aside from the few negatives as stated above, all in all, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor overlooking the water. Our Room #3109 was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
MoheganSunCT, Manager at Mohegan Sun, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed SolToro Tequila Grill! Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have been to Mohegan Sun several times over the years but have never stayed on property due to the high price for rooms on weekends. I noticed they had very reasonable prices for rooms for midweek so I decided to take advantage of it and bring my parents along for a night out at the Casino. We arrived shortly after 1PM to be immediately greeted by a friendly valet who warmly welcomed us to the resort and directed us inside. Once inside we waited in a fairly long line to check-in. When it was our time to proceed to check-in, we inquired about changing our room type from a king suite to a 2 queen suite.The agent merely said she could change our reservation if we wanted her to, but there were no 2 queen suites offered but she would be happy to have someone come up in the evening to make up the sofa bed while we were out. We agreed to keep the room and to have someone make the bed up for us. She informed us that our room was not ready but they would call us the minute it was ready.

After dropping our bags off to be stored with the bellmen, we proceeded downstairs to the casino to try our luck and eventually grabbed some lunch. Having not heard anything for nearly 3 hours we decided to head back up to the counter to check the status of our room. Once we were waved over by an agent, we were told that our room had been ready and we should have received a call, but had not because our keys were still in the "to be called" pile. We received our keys and headed to our room.

The "King Cove Suite" was very nice and quite spacious. With a large 1/2 bath off the entry way and a gorgeous bathroom off the master bedroom and lots of closet space, it was definitely large enough to accommodate 3 people. The room was clean and for the most part in good working order, although the TV in the bedroom had been unplugged and 2 light switches in the bedroom did not turn on lights.

I was excited to head to the pool for a little bit of relaxation but once I saw the pool area, I knew that would not happen. The pool was filled with a large amount of kids and there were kids running around the pool area. Since the weather was not great to sit outside in the outside patio, I decided to just go back to the room and unwind before going back to the casino. While I understand kids are welcome and they deserve a place to have fun, I was disappointed that there was not a separate area/pool for families with kids and an "adult" pool,so to speak, for those who pay not want to dodge beach balls or cannon balls in the pool.

After a few hours of exploring the rest of the hotel and relaxing we headed back down to the casino to gamble, catch the show in the Wolf Den and have a nice dinner. We returned to the room around 11PM to find that the sofa bed was not made up for us. I thought maybe there was an oversight so I attempted to call down to the front desk, but was immediately put on a "momentary" hold. I hung up after being on hold for 5 minutes and made the bed up myself. At this time it occurred to me that the room was lacking pillows, only 2 on the king bed and 1 for the sofa bed. Far from a "resort" type expectation with lots of pillows available.While the sofa bed mattress was not the most comfortable, I was able to get a pretty good night sleep.

It definitely felt like service was lacking. While friendly enough, the 3 desk agents(2 at check-in,1 at check-out) did not personalize the experience at all. In fact, it felt more like they were just running through a script in the same type of voice and not really doing anything extra to make us feel special. I work in the industry and understand that each property has standards of service and the "do"s and "don't"s but I got the impression the voice and the dialog is the same from person to person. Surely I wasn't expecting to be treated like I was the headlining band at the arena or I was a dignitary, but it would have been nice to have a little more personal of a check-in/check-out experience where the agent took time to interact with us. Maybe they do with regular's and not first timer's, I don't know.

While nothing about the experience was "bad" it certainly did not meet my expectations. While we did not pay the usual $500+ a night for the suite and got a decent mid-week deal, there was no incentive to thank us for choosing to stay on site. Whether it's some credits to use at the casino or to not be charged to drink the Coke or eat the Snickers that were in the fridge, offering an incentive to those who stay on site would be nice. I more than payed for the Snickers and the can of Coke downstairs at the slots. Add the lack of personalized service I received at the desk and spending $500+ a night just doesn't seem ideal to me.

Even though I do live in Florida now and don't get to Mohegan often anymore, when I visit I will continue to go to gamble, but if I stay overnight I will likely choose an off site property to stay at as they seem to be a much better value.

Sorry Mohegan, love you as a casino but as a hotel you let me down...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stayed overnight with my mother and sister. We enjoyed a relaxing time by the pool. We were luck, it was a beautiful day. Pool service was excellent. It felt like we were away a couple of days rather than one night.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad that you had a nice stay and enjoyed the pool! Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

The hotel itself was very nice. Rooms were beautiful and beds were very comfy. I wasn't crazy about valet parking but if you do not partake in this, you have to walk super far to get to other lots. I don't mind walking but you inhale so much smoke by going through the halls and casinos that it defeats the healthy aspect of the walking. We only went for late night wings at the Bow and Arrow sports bar. It was super smokey there because it is open to everything else. Didn't use the $50 credit to Tuscany's because again smokers are everywhere. I could believe the amount of kids even though they couldn't go on the casino floor, they were everywhere (inhaling smoke!) The pool was packed with kids and it is all of 3 feet deep. Beautiful grounds but I wouldn't recommend this place if you don't want to feel like a chain smoker. Even the non smoking areas in the casinos were open to the smoking areas. It doesn't make sense. I think Canadians are ahead of the game when it comes to no smoking in public areas. .

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here! Check in was very easy unlike other casino hotels. The front desk was very friendly & told us about the restaurants.The rooms were very clean & the beds were comfortable.
We enjoyed the stores that are in the mall area which is all part of Hotel. A huge step up from the AC boardwalk!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Donna, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Happy Birthday and we hope to see you again soon!
Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I love this place. The bells and lights really make me feel great....that and all the oxygen the pump into the air. The suites are always spotless and have fantastic river views. This is my happy place.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice view of the river on a higher floor.
Mexico, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

There was a lot to do while at Mohegan Sun, we went there on a Saturday evening at dinner time. The lines for the buffets were lengthy but the upstairs restaurants didn't appear to have long lines. The casino floor was very bright, the dealers were very friendly (craps and blackjack).

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!