“Great Hotel, slots very bad.” 3 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Mohegan Sun Boulevard, Uncasville, CT 06382   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Uncasville
Waterbury, Connecticut
“Great Hotel, slots very bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

So this is a wonderful hotel. I would recommend it to anyone.

With that said if you got to the hotel, do not play the slots, unless you want to loose all your money.

Stick to real card playing and avoid the machines.

First I believe this statement is true for all casinos. If you regularly play the slots you will eventually never be up in winnings. At Mohegan Sun if you regularly play slots you will loose all your money most likely faster than any other casino in the US. In fact I have to wonder if the casino might be bribing folks on the Connecticut gaming commission.

The casino has some very entertaining slot machines. That I have to admit. Further if you play long enough and very your betting your likely to find a slot that pays out some. However, it is a numbers game. The likelihood that you find a slot that pays something before you loose a lot of cash is very very very low.

Now if you use your players card, the casino will comp you rooms, and give you free slot play etc. However at the end of the day, this does not really make up for all the cash that you are loosing.

You can have much more fun playing blackjack at a 5 dollar tables, however there are very few 5 dollar tables.

So if you play the slots you have to have the attitude that you are not going to win. Further, the lowest paying slots are the old quarter machines. The old 5 dollar machines are looser, but your dropping 5 a pop.

The newest electronic machines are very entertaining. Often you can play them the longest because they will give you back more at a higher rate than the older machines.

In general for all the machines if you look at the jackpot payout relative to the bet you have to make to have a chance of winning, the payouts even for the jackpots are very very bad.

The older machines 20 years ago were much looser.

So thats what I know. The hotel is great, and the slots completely suck. Does that mean that nobody wins? No. Some people do win, but relative to the number of people that play, the payouts are some of the lowest I have ever experienced. I have now stopped going even with the free rooms etc.

For slots, Twin rivers casino is also very very bad: Played many times
For slots Prairie Meadows in Iowa is very good: Played many times.
For slots Cliff Castle Casino in Arizona is very good.
For slots Ho-Chunk in Wisconsin Dells is very bad. Played many tijmes.
For slots the river boat Casino in Elgin IL is fair. Played a few times.
For slots the Casino in Black River Falls Wisconsin is fair. Played a few times.
For slots the River Boat Casinos in St Lois and Kansas City are fair.
For slots the casino outside of Minneapolis is fair. Played many times
For slots Circus Circus in Los Vegas is very bad.
For slots the casino outside of Phoenix AZ is fair.
For slots the casino in Miami is bad.

Room Tip: Don't play the machines unless you want to loose money, most likely.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

852 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great room, great bathroom Clean and spacious but not worth 350 a night. Nothing spectacular except location. Service great all ladies given a red rose as they entered lobby for Valentines day. Nice touch.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hopewell Junction, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Our stay at Mohegan Sun was delightful. The rooms are all modern, extremely clean and well kept. The room has free water and coffee with a stocked bar for purchases. We enjoyed the casino, shops and restaurants. There is a great selection of restaurants for all budgets. We even earned some comps which we used for breakfast. It is a great place for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MoheganSunCT, Manager at Mohegan Sun, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave us this great review! We hope you'll join us again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

During our luxurious stay the Mohegan Sun casino not only did we win BIG but our savings thanks to Netrate was exceptional. After a $400 slot win my girl got a straight flush on LET IT RIDE and won over $1400....Big win, BIG SAVINGS. Thanks NETRATE. Great service and great price. Should we thank you for the winning cards too?????

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
It sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope we see you again soon!
Pennington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I met up with our 24-year old daughter for a weekend here. The hotel is top-notch and the restaurants are abundant-you will have no problem finding something to suit your taste.

This weekend was a nice winter get-away for us, since Mohegan Sun is about halfway between where we live and the city our daughter lives in. We aren't big gamblers, but we did have some fun playing slots!

For us, this was a terrific winter destination... plenty to do, all indoors! We had a few really enjoyable meals and had a great experience at the spa. There is shopping, too. Good option, since the weather outside was cold and snowy!

Room Tip: We had a river view room on a high floor... very nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
MoheganSunCT, Manager at Mohegan Sun, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thanks for this great review! We're happy we could be the setting for your family get-together. Hope you'll all join us again soon!
Yardley, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was having a great time at the resort until I asked for a late checkout. I was at there as an ice storm was coming in later that night. I checked out a day early (no problem) but then asked for a late checkout. My train was not coming until 3PM so I asked about 2PM. He said no problem. The resort was empty. I had lunch and spent about 45 minutes in the room until I checked out at 2PM. The guy I had talked to wasn't there and the checkout person told me that I was not told 2PM, as their policy is Noon. So now I'm a liar. We argued for some time and the manager came over and reiterated what was said. They did say if I hadn't used the room that they could take off the charge. I said I sat in a chair and wtached TV from 1:15 to 2. She said, "so you did use it." Ugh. I might have still given it a 2 or 3 rating except that I sent an email through their website and still haven't recieved a response a week later. This is no way to treat guests. Even if somehow I had misinterpreted something, was it worth it for $82.50 (they wound up offering me a half day rate). BTW, I wasn't even paying for the room, it was a convention and my company paid.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

I'm currently here as we speak with my boyfriend. The aura of this hotel and casino is so relaxed, clean, and beautiful. Hotel room is very clean! Plenty of towels, linens, pillows provided. We just tried Michael Jordan's Steakhouse..great food and service! Casino is spacious..divided into three casinos (Earth, Wind and Sky). Plenty of staff on site and they have been rather helpful and are quite friendly. Great overall!

• Stayed February 2014
Thanks for sharing your experience with us! We appreciate the kind words and hope that you'll join us again soon!

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!