“House of the rising SUN” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Mohegan Sun Boulevard, Uncasville, CT 06382   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“House of the rising SUN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

One of the best times you could possibly have anywhere. The Mohegan Sun brand has become an industry standard and this facility lives up to it daily.
The complex is 2nd in the world size wise yet it remains spotless clean,service is stellar. The layout is smart, the circular design makes it an easy and enjoyable journey.
After 12 years the hotel rooms still smell new, nice decor, suites are top rate. Casino remains ahead of the curve in terms of games and service. Restaurants are cool, try the new buffet, Tuscany, or Lansdowne. I really like the stores, real stores for real people. Parking access is easy enough.
I would like to see the long promised hotel and retail expansion. More rooms and stores are really needed.
In New England hotel/gaming circles Mohegan Sun is the one hands down. Its a break from the hustle &bustle of everyday. Kick back and let the Sun-shine in.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
www.2soaringhearts.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Overall our stay was very enjoyable. The rooms are clean, very nicely appointed and comfortable. The staff is well trained, courteous to a fault and seem to constantly work at making your visit enjoyable. The casino itself is modern and pleasant, although the nonsmoking areas overlap a little too much with the smoking areas which by far are much larger. On the gaming floor, it is nearly impossible to be anywhere without the acrid stink of cigarettes. By the end of an evening, whether gaming or taking in a show, I had a sore throat and my clothes and hair reeked. The shopping areas were wonderful. There are more upscale shops and restaurants than many malls. The restaurants are designed and operated under the names of renowned chefs. I don't mean to imply that the famous chefs are on sight but the restaurants are their visions and are very nicely executed. My biggest complaint is the variation between midweek rates and weekend rates. The price went up by 300% on Friday. In fact it was so outrageously high, we checked out and went to another hotel nearby. So this is a mixed review. There is much to commend the Mohegan Sun but there are a few flaws that detract from the overall experience. My recommendation: Do what we did. Take advantage of the in-week rates and move to a nearby hotel for the weekends.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms overlooking the water are quiet and that view is incredible.
Chicopee,Ma.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We love the hotel at Mohegan Sun. Such a friendly staff. This place is neat as a pin. Check in is always smooth. If the room is not ready we go to the pool for 3 or 4 hours where we have lunch. The bathroom areas are immaculate in the pool area and have showers and lockers. When we get to our room we rest a bit, in our lovely, clean, room. The only thing is those annoying, loud toilets....LOL, and off to dinner at one of the many restaurants to choose from. A few hours of gambling( you knew that was coming) and back to the comfy bed and a little tv or free wifi,(nothing is for free,I'm sure it's in the facility fees) and off to sleep. Great Job Mohegan Sun Hotel and Casino!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MoheganSunCT, Dave J. - Social Media Specialist at Mohegan Sun, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
I think you just described the perfect day! Thanks for this great review - hope to see you again soon!
Troy, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was staying at the Mohegan sun for work while attending a fashion/jewelry conference. I went up to my room to drop off my things at the end of the day before meeting my coworkers and clients down on the floor and the do not disturb sign was illuminated next to the door and my room key no longer worked.
I went down to the front desk to find out what was wrong and they told me "You checked out via the express check out and the room was given to another guest." I had NOT checked out and the express check out card that was left in the box was from the previous guest dated the day before.
The protocol for when someone checks out and their room still has belongings in it is for security to clear out the room and hold them in case the guest returns for them. Security did not have my belongings. The front office supervisor Johanna Wertz informed me that the guest who my room was currently given to had been contacted and that he had not entered the room yet. He got his room key and went straight to the floor. So, Johanna and security went up to the room and retrieved my belongings.
When they brought everything down to the front desk. I knew not all of my belongings were accounted for. I had things in the drawers. So, they allowed me to retrieve the remainder of my things. When I entered the (non-smoking) room, I immediately smelled smoke and also saw that the coffee pot had been recently used. The other guest HAD been in the room.
I got my clothes from the drawer (which appeared to have been tossed and among the items in the dresser was my checkbook) and all of my clothes smelled like smoke. They set me up in a new hotel suite which was very nice, I'm just sad I was too upset to enjoy it properly.
Sherice was the manager working at 4:30 am when I woke up because I couldn't sleep, she handled the purchase of a shirt for me to wear the next day since my clothes smelled like smoke and dry cleaning of my own clothes could not be arranged in time.
The daytime manager, Mandi, followed up with me before I checked out and seemed well informed of the situation. She ensured that there would be no charge for either of my two night stay and asked if there was anything else she could do. My coworker and I enjoyed a nice lunch before we left and my husband and I will try staying there again in the future for a compensated stay.
I had to close my existing and open a new checking account as well as alter all of the accounts linked to it. But I feel like the Mohegan sun staff did everything they could possibly do to accommodate me after the incident occurred. Mistakes happen and while you can't change the past, you have all the control in the world over how you deal with them. I think Mohegan Sun handled the situation as well as they could have.
I also recently received a nice letter from the front office manager Mary Wren:
"Several of my staff were kind enough to fill me in on what transpired during your stay, and I would like to sincerely apologize for what must have been a very upsetting situation. Please rest assured that I will check into the issue so that something like what you experienced will not happen to another guest."
I appreciate that they are making an effort to ensure that this does not happen in the future to another guest! I would give Mohegan Sun Hotel another chance in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed one night with my wife for a conference. We got a king room with some view of the lake (reservoir?) which was nice. The room was of average size but worked well for us - clean comfortable bed, digital in-room safe, complimentary bottled water and good supply of bathroom amenities. Wifi internet was included in the resort fee which I had to pay no matter. The resort featured a casino and a large convention center and had a few restaurants/bars to choose from inlcuding a Michael Jordan Steakhouse. The pool area was pretty nice too but it was spring break so lots of kids running around. If driving just use the valet as it was very convenient. Overall an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: High floor facing the lake
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Encino
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I booked the Mohegan Sun rather than staying at Foxwoods MGM due to cost and location. We were very pleased with the accommodations they provided and were amazed at the immense size of this hotel and casino.

The hotel is very clean with nice size rooms. We could not fault them in any way. However I did ask for a corner room and was told we were getting one. Once we arrived outside our room, I knew this was not the case. However the room was very inviting, so I did not make a fuss. The king bed was very comfortable and they provided a desk with two chairs and a comfortable lounging chair with ottoman.

If you are looking for a place with (it seemed like) 50,000 slots and hundreds of gaming tables, then this is certainly your place. Unfortunately the machines were not good to me, but that's where the expression....try, try again, came from.

There were a good number of restaurants in this place, so you will never want for food. I tried one place (for breakfast) that offered a flap jack for about $6.00 and tried it. Have you ever seen a pancake with a diameter of about 1 1/2 feet. I was able to eat about an eighth of it. Couldn't believe they would have a stove/griddle large enough to make it.

This was our first time going to the Mohegan and hopefully we will be able to make it back in the future. It was very different from Las Vegas, in a nice way.

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are very nice. They are very comfortable and a great value for the money...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

When tickets for Muse at Mohegan Sun went on sale, all the goods seats were gone really fast so we didn't get tickets. A few weeks before the show, I noticed a room and ticket package, that included premium seats for the show. Seeing that Muse rarely plays in Connecticut we decided to splurge on the package. We started the night at Bobby Flay's Burger Bar, the food was excellent. Then over to the Arena for the concert. Then Pepe's pizza, the decor looked just like the iconic New Haven location. The pizza was excellent. Then drinks at a few of the bars around the casino. The room was large with a beautiful view of the river. Room service for breakfast was really great. Overall great experience, and worth the price since the concert tickets were included in the package. Highly recommended worth staying overnight to avoid the long drive home late at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view of the river.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!