“Amazing Resort!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Uncasville
landing, nj
“Amazing Resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I must start off by saying how much I loved everything about Mohegan Sun! If you have ever been to Atlantic City, you already know how disgusting the casino's are and the quality of the type of people it attracts. You will not deal with any of that at Mohegan Sun!! The hotel is located away from everything with a beautiful lakeside view. When you first walk in to Mohegan Sun, your just wow'd from the start, absolutely gorgeous!! Check in was very quick and I was very surprised with how clean the hotel hallways and elevators were; everything smelled fresh and clean. My sister and I had a room with 2 bed and I must say the room was super clean and modernly decorated. We order room service for a late night dessert and breakfast and the food arrived in less than 30 minutes and was delicous. The staff was also very pleasant. We had the opportunity to eat at Ballo (Italian Restaurant), I wasn't impressed with the food there, but everyone has their own preference. However, I did love the food at Michael Jordan's Steak House. This was our first trip to the casino and I must say we had a great time. We even had a chance to play at the "girls only" tables in the back, which was pretty cool. Also lots of great shops to choose from. There were even lots of families there that weekend who seemed to be enjoying themselves. I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

759 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The last time we were at Mohegan was years ago. We drove ourselves down for a day of entertainment.

We visited Mohegan Sun again, as "day-trippers" with a bus group this past Monday (3/11/13).

The location of Mohegan is pretty convenient, and as they say in their brochure, it's an "easy ride from just about anywhere" (including Mystic, NYC, Boston, Hartford, Providence).

Buses arrive at a "bus lobby" at the "Autumn Entrance", which makes meeting up with your group easy when the time comes to depart. Provided you read the next paragraph ;>)

You MUST orient yourself to where you are in the Casino, or you risk getting lost forever. The entire Casino, which is HUGE, looks exactly alike, no matter what section you are in. So get yourself a map when you arrive, and pay attention to the signs above your head. You can get a map at various "stations" on the walls, or from the Players Club booths.

The service at the Players Club booth was good, if a little slow. You need to do this when you arrive, in order to get your Player's card, which keeps track of your bets, etc. You can just go in and play if you want, but you'll miss out on some special offers if you don't sign up for the Players Club (it's free).

The slots at Mohegan no longer take coins. Bills are needed, $5,$10, $20, etc. When you are finished playing, you either cash out or collect a voucher to use in your next slot/game.

The problem we had with the gaming, was the lack of slot attendants. They were few and far between, so it was difficult to ask questions, get change, etc., and if you had a problem with your machine, I think you'd wait a long time for service.

As for food, we chose to eat at one of the smaller, fast food type places, Johnny Rockets, which is a burger joint. The burgers were reasonably priced (anywhere from $4.65 UP), tasty, and very large. The fries and onion rings were nothing special, and not especially tasty, even though they looked "homemade", rather than frozen.

All in all, Mohegan offers a fun day trip destination. You can do it inexpensively if you plan ahead on how much you want to spend for gambling.

Scarborough, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

the wise guys in las vegas wished they never ever made casinos family friendly...it was the end of the elegance....the dress code....the respect each had for one another in the gambling world....now it's like going to the mall when you're at a resort/casino.....I have 4 children and 5 grandchildren and love them dearly....but when gramps wants a vaca at a resort/casino...the last thing I want... is to get off the (winter garage)elevator as I did sunday afternoon ...and walk thur a daycare center with a dozen or so rug rats running around the hall screaming as their parents watched...to have the wannabee teenager/beautiful kids roaming the shopping arena and the aisles of the gambling as far as they can poising for pictures...with 1000's of hotel/resort/theme/parks why people bring the kids to not only Mohegan but all the rest across the usa is a mystery to me....if the bean counters truly did their homework I believe the investment in a family friendly resort was a necessary evil....but is it really necessary...we had a great time but this stood out this time.....so many kids....I know it's profiling...but more often than not it works.....looking at the parents with the rugs rats and wannabees ...I saw not very much gambling revenue.....from them......

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We decided to stay overnight for the first time. It is a very nice place to stay in colder weather, since the many great shops and diverse restaurants are all within the hotel. The room was very clean and nicely furnished. All the employees are very accommodating and friendly. The casino is enormous, and a person could easily get lost here. I would recommend the buffet, as the food is much better than usual buffets, and there is a very nice variety, at a reasonable price.
I would give this hotel 5 stars, except for the fact that it is very smokey. There is really nowhere in the casino that is smoke free, except for one little alcove, and it is smokey also. I came home with my clothes reaching of smoke, so do not stay here if that bothers you. Otherwise, excellent!

Room Tip: All rooms equivalent, except suites. We had a standard room, and it was beautiful!
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel is connected to 40+ restaurants of all types, great shops & three casinos. The lobby and pool area are lovely. Valet parking is free. They attract are big name concerts, for example, Maroon 5, Eric Clapton & Bob Seeger were/will be there in February & March.

The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable & well appointed.

We tried a new restaurant called Hash House A Go Go. The name was not appealing & from the outside it looked empty, however, when we entered, it was nearly full on a Tuesday for lunch. The meals were plentiful, high quality & delicious!

I will certainly return to the restaurant and hotel.

Room Tip: My mother is in a wheelchair & it was great that they offered roll in showers.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lawrenceville, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Worst service you could ever imagine. We stayed for a few days for a business meeting. The hotel and facilities were beautiful, very clean and modern. But the people who worked there were unbelievably rude. Customer dis-service is their norm.
When I checked-in, the people behind the desk behaved as if they could not be bothered. They talked to each other, did not make eye contact, refused to answer questions, when I pressed is there water in the rooms, I got a curt "it's fine. it's in there" really? so sorry to bother you. I was very glad I bought a large bottle of water at the shop.

A co-worker and I both called separately about our rooms being in unsafe locations (next to elevators or stairs) and they refused to change our rooms. They claimed the hotel was full to capacity. Even tho the entire facility was empty, and the hotel was clearly not full.

The rooms where we had our meetings were nice and clean but the service was again abominable. They charged for every little thing - a phone line, water for the conf rooms, any small request was extra. and they were angry about being asked. Worst experience possible. They removed the food before people were finished or before some folks had a chance to eat at all. When we asked them to leave the food, they refused. unbelievable.

If you have a problem with your bill, there is no recourse. I waited on hold for 45 minutes and sent four emails with no response.

How do these folks stay in business?
go anywhere but here

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MoheganSunCT, Dave J. - Social Media Specialist at Mohegan Sun, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and apologize that we did not live up to your expectations. I would encourage you to call our Guest Relations department at 866.707.3317 so we can discuss this situation further. Thank you.
meriden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

housekeeping should be more observant, when we first walked in we noticed crumbs on the floor by the bed also hair in shower walls, .we stayed two nights, the next day when our room was "cleaned" they didn't check the coffee pot it was still filled with coffee from the morning .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!