“Clean but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Uncasville
East Hartford, Connecticut
“Clean but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

While the room was one of the cleanest I've ever been in, the noise level woke us twice at midnite and two a.m. We were there for a Christmas party and went up at 11:00. Way too expensive for a room for sure, but it was a once in a life time treat for us. For a non-smoking floor the hallway trash barrels had ashes on them and we saw two matches on the floor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I quite enjoyed my stay. The rooms were very nice with free wifi and a good tv selection. The bathroom was spacious with a separate enclosure for the toilet. In similar layouts I've seen a soaker tub and a separate shower but this had a bath/shower which was clean and adequate. I found the bed to be comfortable and I slept well my entire stay. The small desk was suitable for work and I had a great view of the river. They had smoking and non-smoking rooms.

Maid service did a good job and staff members were all helpful and polite. I had no more than a one minute wait at check in and check out. All parking is by valet at no charge (other than tip). The ticket system is efficient and although checkout was fairly busy we departed in shorft order.

I stayed at a discounted rate as a conference attendee. The regular rates were significantly higher and there is an additional $15 resort fee per night. If you are budget-minded and there to gamble there are some cheaper hotels nearby with shuttle service. Saying that, I certainly would pay more for the comfort and convenience of being on site.

In addition to the casino there are a slew of restaurants (some fantastic fare) and shops. There were concerts playing when I was there which resulted in some longer lineups at times. This was an enjoyable visit and I am already planning a return trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel is part of Mohegan Sun casino. The only reason you would really want to stay here is if you're coming to gamble or attend an event at the Mohegan Sun Arena (concert, sports event, etc.). The hotel also has an Elemis Spa, so perhaps people may also visit for this.

What I liked:
-Free valet parking.
-Staff attitude was excellent (valets, bell staff, front desk staff, everyone!) Very impressed!
-Size and layout of the room was excellent.
-The bed/mattress is very comfortable and I slept very well.
-Free wifi (in the room and public spaces) and wired internet in the room.
-Location! Dozens of restaurants, shopping and the casinos just off the hotel lobby.
-The toilet was separate from the main bathroom/vanity/shower area. Nice and practical!

What I didn't like:
-Value was not good. It was Thanksgiving and the room rate was nearly double the normal rate.
-The shower was a bathtub/shower combo with a shower curtain. Many more modern and upscale hotels have a separate stall shower and many people (including me) prefer this.

Overall, the stay was excellent. I can not say enough about how friendly and helpful all of the staff that I had contact with were.
I would give an overall excellent rating and also rate the service excellent, if it had not been for 1 incident that really spoiled it. After returning to the room at 3:00am (from a concert in the Mohegan Sun Arena) I found that my room key/card didn't work. I went down to the lobby and there were 8 people queued up at the front desk waiting, with only 2 staff behind the desk. To say that things were moving slowly would be an understatement. I waited nearly 30 minutes to get my new key/card. This is an annoyance at any time, but especially at 3:00am. Everyone online was impatient and complaining (the woman behind me was a Mohegan Sun Player's Club member and called them several times to complain and ask that more help be sent, while we were waiting. No help ever came). The entire time we were waiting, it seems only 1 of the 2 staff were handling a guest at any one time. There continually seemed to be some kind of problem that prevented them from helping the next guest. A supervisor eventually appeared, but was just standing behind the counter talking to staff and made no attempt to assist guests or even offer an apology for the wait. When I was finally helped the staff did apologize for the wait, but it was really too late at that point. Sadly, although the entire rest of the stay was excellent this is really what sticks in my mind.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here while the power was out from Hurricane Sandy, but have stayed on multiple other occasions. The rooms are nice, bathrooms are new, rooms are clean, especially since the smoking rooms are separated from the non-smoking. Keurig coffee machines in the room is always a plus!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Even if you are not a gambler, this was a great place to stay for the weekend. I would liken it most to a cruise-ship experience without the water. Everything is interconnected from the hotel to 25 places to eat and drink to the casinos and entertainment.

I was in the property from Friday trough Sunday but never felt like I had been there for that long. There was plenty to do and see. The arena is also a great place to see basketball.

Food catered by the hotel was outstanding. Some of the best I've had anywhere in a catered buffet setting.

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Having stayed at Mohegan Sun Hotel many times over the past 3 or more years I regret that I sense a decline in many aspects over this period.I do gamble when there, I am not a "high roller" by any stretch of the imagination, but I did get offers of reduced rates for most nights but Fri/Sat, and some minor comps and an occasional free night. Also, the selection of eateries was substantial. These perks have been reduced a lot, particularly in the last 6 months. Many of the eateries are closed or changed unfavorably in my opinion. Or the menu selections changed and prices raised. Also the room care and service seems to have gotten worse, again my opinion. I believe increased availability nearby of other venues has caused this to occur due to less income.
I think this is the opposite of what they should be doing to keep/attract customers.

Room Tip: All rooms are still pretty good. A lot depends on who you get next door or across from you. And as...
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went for one night for a little mental health day healing from surgery. We booked a package that included $100.00 at Bobby's Flays steakhouse , a cookbook and $20.00 free play. We have not stayed here since they opened, Room big modern and clean,Check in very pleasant. Hotel complex is very attractive. My wife enjoyed the shopping. Casinos are big and up to date.
The night was a good deal. Would stay again. I am not a big meat eater. We had Lobster and Steak @BF. Some of the best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MoheganSunCT, Dave J. - Social Media Specialist at Mohegan Sun, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thanks for this great review! We're happy we could be a part of your recovery. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon!

Been to Mohegan Sun? Share your experiences!