“Hospitality 101 courses @ the Tolland Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Tolland Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tolland
The Tolland Inn
You added The Tolland Inn to your Saves list
63 Tolland Green, Tolland, CT 06084   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Tolland B&B and Inns
Athens, Greece
“Hospitality 101 courses @ the Tolland Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2015

A chain of consecutive stays in big hotels was soon about to break during a business trip to Storrs. The accommodation choices around UCONN are famously limited, so we left the arrangement to local friends, all of which praised the Tolland Inn.

Arriving in the heart of Northeastern US winter translated into subzero Fahrenheit readings in the thermometer, but stepping in immediately felt like entering a shelter of cosiness and warmth. It quickly became apparent that our stay would be special. The room was oozing with character, as was anything in this multi-hundred-year building, which was refurbished from scratch by the current owners.

Ten mornings later, I was waiting for my colleague to load the packed luggage and leave. And while looking out the window, a feeling of sweet melancholy captivated me. This feeling was the epitome of the hoteliers' efforts. It was something that neither homemade furniture nor excellent decoration alone could ignite. It took numerous morning analyses with Susan. Stephen preparing delicious waffles and commenting from the kitchen. It required making your guests feeling like they've visited family. It's been a couple of decades since I last felt that way and I believed it was a hotelier art that was lost along the way. Thankfully, the Beechings have been secretly preserving it as carefully as the building itself.

Thank you for everything, Stephen & Susan.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

The owners, Susan and Steve are so warm and welcoming! The inn is beautiful with amazing hand crafted furniture from the owner himself. Not only is the treehouse suite gorgeous, but you are then amazed with a delicious breakfast at an outstanding dining table also handcrafted by Steve. The grounds are lovely during any season but especially I. The summer when the fish are visible in the hand built pond, also by Steve! Susan is delightful and a fire can usually be found in the tea room along with other guests and good company.
I would recommend this inn to anyone, at any time! Absolutely beautiful!!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2015

I stayed for 10 days for my business trip to UConn. The owners, Steve and Susan, were delightful and are very caring. The breakfast was always very fresh, carefully prepared by Steve -- fresh pancakes, light waffles, stuffed french toasts and eggs. The room was clean and cozy, and filled with paintings and hand-crafted furniture made by Steve. I was snowed-in one day but Susan invited me to lunch and dinner which was really nice.
If you are in eastern Connecticut, or near UConn, stay there, you will feel like home.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Hanover, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

We have stayed at the inn three times now and all have been wonderful experiences. This time it was for a family holiday gathering. Stephen and Susan did their usual excellent job! We love the classic old inn style and Stephen's wood creations are so impressive. This time we played name that tune on the piano by room 1 with another inn guest. The food, from the muffins to the waffles were superb! As alway!!! We shall return again and again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

I stayed at the Tolland Inn for two nights while on business at UConn. What a treat! Stephen and Susan are gracious and engaging hosts. The rooms are beautifully appointed, including Stephen's fine, hand-crafted furniture. Susan was kind enough to give me a tour of the unoccupied guest rooms--each unique. Breakfasts were simply overwhelming in taste, creativity, and options. When I returned home I hesitated to tell my wife what a great time I had while "working".

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

My wife and I traveled to New England and began our stay At the Tolland Inn and ended it there 14 days later. What a terrific way to start and finish!!! The rooms were clean and tastefully decorated--the original oil paintings by Steve were an added bonus. The breakfasts were excellent with different foods each morning--all wonderfully prepared by the multi-talented Steve. Susan is a warm and attentive hostess who will sit and listen/talk to her guests. Beds were comfy and provided a good nights sleep in quiet rooms. The location was good with easy access to I-84 and local roads to UConn and amazing local apple orchards. (Yes, we picked our own!!!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a hot tub -- nice experience-- especially after two weeks of travel.