“Fabulous hosts, comfortable beds, best breakfast ever.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spencer On Main

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Suffield
Spencer On Main
You added Spencer On Main to your Saves list
264 South Main Street, Suffield, CT 06078   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Suffield B&B and Inns
Chicago and DC
“Fabulous hosts, comfortable beds, best breakfast ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

Etienne and Caroline are wonderful hosts. I've stayed at Spencer on Main several times over the past couple of years. From the very first stay, I felt comfortable and so welcome. The furnishings are gorgeous, bathrooms spotless, and beds super comfortable. I always sleep so well at this place.

In the morning, breakfast is a delight. Etienne has made his Belgian specialties and all kinds of goodies. I never need to eat lunch!

The main floor of the B&B has beautiful large rooms you can relax in, as well as wireless internet and whatever you need. E and C have also provided driving route recommendations, restaurant info, and lots of great stories about Suffield (and the surrounding area).

I have traveled extensively, and I highly recommend Spencer on Main.

• Liked — Hosts are fantastic, super breakfast.
  • Disliked — Internet access could be faster & cover more of the space.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary by spending a weekend at Spencer on Main. We absolutely loved it--from making the reservation through check out, everything was just perfect.

The house is gorgeous, beautifully restored and decorated, and spotlessly clean. We stayed in the Bird in the Nest Suite, which had an extremely comfortable king-size bed and an enormous bathroom, complete with dressing table and large modern shower. The bedroom was spacious, bright and beautiful PLUS there was a separate sitting room/library, which had a loveseat that I think opened into a bed. The suite was luxurious, quiet and very private.

Breakfast was superb--eggs Benedict one day, Belgian waffles the next, with fresh fruit, warm bread, rolls and croissants. Upon returning to the inn in the evening, we even found an assortment of wine, liqueurs, etc. so that we could have a nightcap.

Best of all, though, were the innkeepers, Etienne and Caroline. They were so helpful, providing us with suggestions for restaurants, museums, daytrips--they even gave us maps. They are absolutely charming & do everything to make sure that guests are well taken care of.

This is a wonderful place. We hated to leave and we will surely be back.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

As this was a second marriage for my fiancee and I, we choose to elope and decided on Connecticut for the destination. In our internet search fate guided us to Spencer on Main. Our original plan was to simply find the Town Hall and a Justice of the Peace, however when speaking with our host, Etienne, when he learned of our plans he graciously took over for us. Not only did he suggest we do the ceremony at the bed and breakfast, but he located the Justice of the Peace, a flower shop, and picked us up at the airport! When we arrived he gave us the choice of any room in the beautiful victorian home for the ceremony and rearranged it to meet our needs.

The wedding ceremony and location were beautiful, and our one night stay could not have been better. The room was so comfortable and filled with period furnishings. Our private bathroom was up-to-date, roomy, and included amenities you would find in a modern hotel. Our morning breakfast was served on our time schedule and could not have been more delicious, perfectly created by our hostess, Caroline. To top everything off Etienne drove us to the train station to reach our honeymoon destination of Mystic, Ct. then picked us up on our return several days later to get us to the airport. Our entire experience was a delight.

• Liked — Hosts and very comfortable room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

At the end of our holidays, we were passing through Connecticut on our way to Europe via JFK. We had planned an overnight stay somewhere within a couple hours to the airport. We opted for a B&B as a less sterile option to a Hilton/Marriot styled chain.

Words cannot describe the hospitality and the beauty of the Spencer on Main property. The house (which is one of the most impressive structures in the gorgeous Suffield area) is essentially a time piece of New England history containing numerous works of art, furniture and books ranging from the 1700s through to today.

As B&Bs go, this is absolutely the best I have seen in the United States, Canada and England. A better caterorization would be to compare it to an upscale boutique hotel which has the markings of its very courteous owners, Etienne and Caroline, throughout. Very tasteful and elegant.

Extremely comfortable. The haute-touches in overall decor, the European crepe breakfast and the bedroom details made our stay even more exceptional. Our room was large with high Victorian ceilings. Connected to the bedroom was a stately parlour with a large desk, couch and numerous book shelves containing books from every imaginable topic (especially American and world history).

Our only regret was that we could not have stayed additional time to enjoy the outdoor pool and the relaxation of the covered Victorian patio.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

I stayed at Spencer on Main on a weekend when Caroline was in California. That left my wife and I as the only guests and Etienne as our very gracious host. The house itself is lovely - as described below - but what truly made our stay memorable was Etienne's hospitality. As soon as we arrived and got acquainted, he made an effort to understand what we wanted out of the weekend, and worked with us to make everything go perfectly - from giving us directions, to recommending spas and shopping venues, and making dinner reservations for at two wonderful restaurants - one of which was very last minute.

Evidence of Etienne's attentiveness was everywhere. We arrived in the evenings to find a bottle of wine left out for us with a handwritten note. In the course of conversation, he found out that I loved Belgian dark chocolate and he left Guylian squares on the pillows. He printed menus for the restaurant we were going to and left them in our room. When my wife left a sock behind, he even washed it and mailed it to us!

As for the Bed and Breakfast experience - here are the details:

---Bed---
There are three guest rooms at Spencer on Main. Each of them has a different feel, and each of them has a library room stocked with hundreds of books which - being the only guests in the house - we got to browse. We stayed in the king suite, and found it very comfortable. The bathroom is spacious with a large pedestal sink, dressing table, towel warmer, and standing shower. The bed is a canopy with a luxurious soft mattress and down comforter. Both the bedroom and the library had fireplaces filled with candles. (If it were my own private place, I would have a fire roaring in them all the time - but if I were a B&B owner, I would have to concede a preference to keeping my beautiful house from turning into a pile of ashes.)

The rest of the house includes the owner's quarters, two sitting rooms (one with a grand player piano), a dining room (where I assume breakfasts are served when the other rooms are filled), the kitchen, and a living room with a working fireplace aside the kitchen (which is where we ate breakfast, since we were the only guests).

---Breakfast---
Ah, breakfast. Where to start? When we arrived, one of the first things Etienne tried to get a feel for was what we liked for breakfast, which is no easy task since my wife and I have very different morning routines. We found ourselves in front of some very good eggs benedict, along with an assortment of breads and rolls, fruit, cheese, coffee, and orange juice. The next day we had Belgian waffles with strawberries and fresh whipped cream, and discovered the joy of nutella spread liberally on a Croissant. (Yes, Etienne, our children are now hooked.)

It was a perfect weekend - due in no small part to our host. I'm sure we will be visiting again, and I hope we'll have the opportunity to meet Caroline - who we've heard so much about - and spend time enjoying their company.

• Liked — Warmth and hospitality of the owners
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

Having stayed at Spencer on Main a half dozen times now (at least), the d'Otreppes have become good friends, and as such, I will stay no where else. Not only will they pick me up at the airport, they take a personal interest in the happiness and well-being of all of their guests. I have met fascinating people each time- most recently a prominent astronaut who was staying there- and it just gets better and better. I love the feeling of being in a wonderful old family home, surrounded by books, fresh flowers, memories of good times in the past... And the breakfast, prepared by Etienne and Caroline, is a delicious and healthy way to start the day!

• Liked — comfort/fine sheets/excellent breakfast/wonderful hosts
  • Disliked — can think of nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

Over the last forty years, I have stayed in hotels and inns in something pretty darn close to a hundred countries. And I think all those hotel nights, some of them in pretty strange places, entitle me to tell you at least one thing with some real authority: all the reviews you have read below are absolutely true. You will never have a better all around accommodation experience anywhere in the world than you will at Spencer on Main in Suffield, Connecticut. It really is just that simple.

The innkeepers are the principal reason. They are gracious, tasteful, elegant, charming, warm people whose personal qualities are deeply infused into their beautiful inn.

If you are traveling to central Connecticut and are lucky enough to get into one of their three rooms, don't even think of staying anywere else. If you are not traveling to central Connecticut and are planning on going to, say, Paris instead, change your plans. It will be well worth it just for the privilege of staying at Spencer on Main.

• Liked — The innkeepers
  • Disliked — It was perfect
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Spencer On Main? Share your experiences!