“Very pleasant stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stratford Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Stratford Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Stratford Hotel & Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Lordship Boulevard, I-95, Exit 30, Stratford, CT 06497-7119 (Formerly Ramada Inn Stratford)   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Stratford
New York
“Very pleasant stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and found my stay to be very pleasant. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I was fortunate enough to have a room on the newly remodeled 5th floor and the rooms were very nice. I was quite surprised to see the pictures in the previous review as I saw nothing like this during my stay. I assume that they were all taken in the pool area which is currently closed and undergoing a renovation. However, don't let these pictures affect your decision to stay here. My experience was nothing but positive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karen L, Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hello..
Thank you for your kind words. Our housekeeping staff along with our front desk agents take great pride in their work.
I see by your review you have stayed in this area before on business. I hope we have now won you over whenever traveling into the Fairfield, CT area.

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The pictures they show you are not what it looks like. It is a nasty and dirty place . Drug users everywhere. It is the local shelter. We were even on the fifth floor supposed to be remodeled crappy job . Also beware of elevators not safe at all.

• Stayed January 2013
Hello,
Your review is very unfair as the pictures you show are of the pool, not the rooms. Also, the pool has been closed because, as one can see with your pictures, it was damaged during Hurrican Sandy. You asked that we open it for your children....so to be kind, we did. I guess the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" is a very true one.
As to drug dealers, I have security walking this property and know that is not the case. One time, a couple of years ago, maybe, but not on my watch.
Our rooms do have all new bed linens and new carpeting. Our houskeeping staff takes great pride in making sure the rooms are clean and presentable.
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A woman there, whom I presume to be a manager, gave me a TripAdvisor strip of paper so I could write a positive review. When I told her of two disappointments we had, she declared that my review would NOT be complimentary and TOOK BACK THE INVITATION strip! She would not give it back!

The point of her effort was to accumulate good reviews so they could start attracting people. Well, this is a typical cart-before-horse, I-wanna-succeed-fast method. I advised that the way it works is;
Step 1; fix up hotel rooms.
Step 2; "they will come", and be satisfied,
Step 3; satisfied people leave good reviews, more are attracted; success.

But I guess she feels she's on the "fast track to success" and can't be bothered with the banality of the "natural order of things".

My stay there was ok, except for the hit in the pocketbook. The place is inordinantly expensive for what it is. The room is not so bad but I gave it a poor rating due to the high cost. At that price, you don't get a kinda-dumpy, needing-repair room. Not even in CT.

On a positive note, my wife loved the lobby.
We have photos of all in case you want to see.

Room Tip: If you are rich, the price won't bother you but a rich person will find the room atrocious. If...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Karen L, Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I do remember you, and want to say "thank you" for your kind words about the room and the hotel. I am sorry you felt the rate was too high, but I am very aware that all hotels in a 30 mile + radius during the storm were at least $80 - $120 more than we were. Actually, we were approached by guests thanking us for being understanding to their needs during this time of stress.
I am happy that your stay was comfortable, as this is what is most important to me and my staff.
Nashville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Came from Indiana to provide relief work (due to damages/power outages) to UI. First time ever in the Northeast! Hotel was clean and comfortable. Staff was very helpful and courteous -- went out of their way to accomodate us. Would definitely return (preferably under better circumstances). Thank you for your hospitality!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Karen L, General Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
"Thank you", not just for your kind words, but for being in our area to help all the families that needed you here. All of you got up between 5 & 5:30 every morning, ate breakfast and were on the road by 6:15 - 6:30 am every day and we didn't see your faces until 8:00 pm and sometimes after 9:00pm that night. As to my staff being curtious, yes we were, but you are the ones that put in the grueling hours and still remained curtious to us. This was appreciated more than you know because too many times people become nasty for no reason or little reason at all.
Should there be another storm of any sort and you are asked to return as first responders, it is I that hopes you and your crew get to stay at our hotel. Karen
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My mother and her care giver stayed at this hotel for a week during Hurricane Sandy. They really liked the hospitality and the accomodations. The staff stayed extra hours at the hotel to ensure the guests were well taken care of. Specifically the manager, Karen, made sure she could book extra days when my Mom could not get her electricity back in the condo where she lived. The lobby was always clean. The breakfast in the morning was always well organized. The room was quiet, clean, and well heated. The windows were double thickness and easily made it through the hurricane. We would recommend this hotel in good weather as well.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. Actually, your mother and her care giver were a pleasure to have stay with us.....both lovely ladies.
As to my staff, yes they did do a wonderful job. They made sure they were here no matter what the weather was outside and several of my houskeeping staff stayed overnight to insure they would be here to see our guest were taken care of.
I guess I would like to take this opportunity to say "thank you" to most of our guests, as they were dealing with the stress of not being in their own homes and were curtious to both the men and women that work here. Enjoy your holidays.....Karen
kidderminster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed at SHCC with Wife and friends for 1 night end Sept. Breaking our journey between Boston & Washington.

I feel some of the reviews a little unfair. We can only speak as we find.

Would rate as follows.

Reception
------------ 10/10 - Booked in by a charming Indian girl who was both welcoming & helpful.

Rooms.
--------- 9/10 - Being a Friday we were put on the corporate floor and had an excellent room
which was both clean and comfortable.

Cleanliness
-------------- 9/10 - Only really saw our rooms and breakfast room and these seemed fine.

Breakfast
------------ 8/10 - Good hot/cold selection although struggled for seating for the 4 of us.
A number of tables just had 1 guest seated and it was 8.45 (busy time)

Location
----------- 10/10 - Ideal for us - just off freeway.

Overall would say this was great value and suited us perfectly.

Guests must always remember the price they are paying as although this is not the Ritz neither are their Room rates.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for placing a review. So many times people are quick to complain about the little things and do not want to take the time to write when there is something nice to say.
As you mention, we are not the Ritz so your room will not reflect a 5 star look. However, as to the staff and the cleanliness, this is where we can be a 5 star and I believe we are rather close.
Should you find you travel again through our area, please try to call in advance and ask for me and tell me about you writing this review.
Karen
Norwalk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Nightmare on Lordship Blvd. Or as Charles Barkley says, 'Terrrible'. We started our wedding plans back in May. We researched hotels for a group rate and came across the 'Old Ramada' (obviously they don't want their name on this hotel anymore). They had an excellent room rate for Labor Day weekend (now we know why). We spoke several times with Karen on the phone and in person and she assured us that our family would be on the renovated 3rd floor. John (who no longer works there) showed us around when we came to look at the rooms that we would be getting. Like another reviewer said, the lobby is extremely deceiving. The front desk did not know how to access our group name when our family called to reserve rooms. When we arrived to meet with the manager of the restaurant, family members were checking in and were assigned rooms on the 6th floor. We were given a conference room for our rehearsal (thank God we didn't have to pay for it). The carpet was stained and dingy and there was an awful smell in the room which was feebly attempted to be covered up by deodorizing spray. Even the air conditioning was loud and not working well. People were even complaining about how filthy the bathrooms in the lobby were too. We stayed in the suite on the 3rd floor which on one side of the room had an air condition that didn't work and a toilet that took a few attempts to flush. One bathroom had fixtures missing (and this is the renovated floor). Another one of our family members was given a room on the 6th floor that when you walked in the room it smelled so bad (water damage); it smelled like mildew which couldn’t be covered up (very unhealthy). There were water spots on the ceiling as well as the wallpaper peeling because of the water damage. They went to the front desk to change rooms and were told that they were booked. As we were passing by the front desk we heard other people complaining about air conditioners not working. The same night we checked in, there was a young man in the hallway banging on the door screaming and there were dogs barking. That same young man rode in the elevator with us and started cursing and a short time later got into a fight in the lobby where the EMS and police arrived (he was not a visiting college student). All this was witnessed by family members. The elevators did not feel safe either. The doors, if they were not held open, would quickly close. When the weekend was over, we came to speak to the manager hoping for an explanation or an apology. When the desk clerk said that we wanted to speak to her she said that she was on a conference call and got up and closed the door, told the clerk to give us a card and make an appointment. After spending well over $1500 with her establishment, we felt we were entitled to at least five minutes of her time. If you are tired and need to rest and are near exit 30 NB on the CT Turnpike, pull into the Stratford Hotel and Conference Center parking lot and sleep in your car. You'll be a lot better off. Now try and deny this one. Hopefully the Department of Health will pay them a visit.

Room Tip: 1. Drive 10 minutes north to Milford 2. Or, 10 minutes south to Fairfield 3. Or, sleep in your ca...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Karen L, General Manager at Stratford Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I guess with all that you seem to be upset over, all I can say is we are sorry. As to you calling the board of health, they did show up the very next day and all checked out fine...including the toilets.
I apologize that you were told I was only on a conference call. I was actually in a meeting that I could not leave and yes, because I did want to meet with you and discuss your concerns I asked her to please tell you I would give you a call later in the day, which I did...and again the next morning. My calls were never returned.
As to the guest that was put on a different floor than you, it is because your floor was booked with your guests and there were no more available rooms there. I believe he wanted a non-smoking king and they were all taken on your floor.
As to the bathrooms in the lobby, they are cleaned two to three times a day. We do have someone on for housekeeping in the evenings, but they cannot spend all their time in the bathrooms and they became that dirty because along with the lounge & restaurant guests, we had too very large parties....yours and another the same weekend.
Again I apologize for any inconvenience you had and wished you had responded to my two calls to you so we could have had a chat.
Much happiness to you both....

Been to Stratford Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!