“Had to have credit card company get refund.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Stratford
upstate New York
“Had to have credit card company get refund.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We made reservations but had to cancel. We canceled well within the cut off period. Was not given a confirmation number! Big mistake on my part for not catching on but I was super busy and not thinking. Next month, lo and behold, my credit card was charged for a night's stay. I called for an explanation and request to have the charge credited, but got absolutely no where with the manager. I felt as if I were speaking with a robot. "No confirmation number, no refund" over and over...very frustrating. I told the manager I was given no confirmation number, but again, nothing..So, I called my credit card company and they immediately gave me credit ( thank you Visa ) and THEY went after Rodeway to get credit.

WARNING! If you do have to stay here, and have to cancel, be sure to get a confirmation number, hold onto it and check your credit card statement! And, honestly, even then, I think you will have a hard time receiving a refund!

You will get NO customer service!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Portsmouth, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We decided to travel to NYC from NH, and stop part way so we could avoid the traffic, and give my grandson a ride on the train. We choose the Rodeway Inn because of the decent reviews, the location on the beach, convenience of a nearby train, free continental breakfast, and the price.

We booked the least expensive room, a room we knew would not have a view, but that was fine, we were arriving in the evening and leaving in the morning.

The front desk person was very nice. Because we arrived a little after dinner time, my 3 year old grandson was very hungry. We inquired as to where we could get him something to eat. We saw a few places about 10 minutes away, but not knowing what was closer by we decided to wait until we got to the hotel. The front desk woman suggested we go to the restaurant attached to the hotel, saying that they had kids' meals! This seemed perfect. We went to the restaurant, and while they did have kids' meals, all were $7! The food was fine, but still, too much money to spend on a 3 year old's quick dinner. In hindsight we should have walked out and taken the quick drive to the main road and spent half as much.

We did get a room with a side parking lot view, which is what we expected; but since there were only a few guests at the hotel, only 4 cars in the lot for the night, it seems it would have been nice, a pr kind of thing, to have given us a room with a view.

The room itself was moderately clean. The box springs had anti-allergy protectors, great idea, but they were worn and had quite a bit of hair and dust on them. And the bathroom, yuck! The back of the sink, cup holder, and toothbrush holder...it looked like the previous guest had and used a beard and/or nose trimmer. We then discovered the chain lock on the door was broken, in that the part screwed into the door wasn't truly screwed in, only balanced in the screw holes in the door as when we went to lock it one side nearly fell out. At this point my grandson was eating and it was getting late, and because there was still the standard deadbolt we decided not to bother asking to change a room, that we would just cope, knowing we'd hear the rattle of the loose lock, and it was just a one night stay.

The beds were fairly comfortable, but very noisy; every time someone rolled over they squeaked. The heat worked well.

The receipt I was given at check-in said, "Join us for Complimentary Continental Breakfast in Marnicks Restaurant from 6:30am - 10am - Date: 12/7 (the date was handwritten) -- Coffee, teas, juices, muffins, bagels, fruit cup, and cold cereals." When we went for breakfast we were seated in the restaurant - this meant a tip had to be given?; we've never been to a hotel with a free continental breakfast this way before. The grumpy waitperson told us all we could have for "free" was a bagel, piece of toast, or an english muffin. We took one bagel for my grandson, and a small cup of coffee, and left for Dunkin' Donuts which was less than 10 minutes away.

I was going to mention these things upon check-out, but when we left at 8:45am, there was no one at the desk, the sliding window was locked, and no one came when I knocked on the glass. I waiting several minutes, then just left my keycards.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Providence,RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for the weekend while attending Manhattenville College Woman's Ice hockey games. Other reviews have given it a short sell. It IS what it advertises to be: a small, family owned, RODEWAY motel. If you want 5 star catered/pampered/luxury digs, go patronize a big corporate chain and spend 5 times the money! Yes, it is a little small and dated, but this place has clean rooms, updated baths w/plenty of hot water,friendly staff, and recently renovated decks with a gorgeous water view from your room! It is located in a residential neighborhood, perfect for a quiet, on the water getaway, yet close enough to the areas other attractions! Had a great breakfast in the attached restaurant, the locals eat in there, so that in itself should say enough! For real people, stay here. For pretentious snobs, GO ELSEWHERE!

Room Tip: Get a balcony with water-view. Decks are great to relax on, even in winter!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Huntington, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This place was amazing retreat for a Labor day holiday comparing to Long Island overpriced establishment on another side of Long Island sound.. Booked a balcony room facing the ocean and the view during the day was magnificent! Night time though, the very bright light from outside spoiled the romantic atmosphere we had... I am not sure if there are some security issues, but if the hotel owners have any control over it, can it be turned, so it would lit the parking lot or a side street rather than a beach area? I wanted to sit on a balcony after dark admiring the view, but that terribly bright light made that very unpleasant. Another minor inconvenience was that there was no exit directly to the beach (I understand the security, but having guests swiping their cards could have solved the issue...)... In order to use the beach, I would have to go through the tiny lobby and restaurant - feeling uncomfortable carrying lounge chair and a beach tower... wish it would be easy. I think it is family owned franchised place, and the owners are not too inclined in making major renovations, but these two corrections would have made this place perfect for me. But all-in-all, I had a great time and paid reasonable price considering that this was a holiday weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I definitely recommend staying in a room with a balcony in order to enjoy the beach view. Amenities are decent, room is clean, no luxuries but the experience is comfortable and cozy. Perfect for a little get-away from the daily routine. Nice for walks along the beach. Enjoy with a special person. Meals at restaurant are good, for a little Italian cuisine, walk to there restaurant next door - good food and nice atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2012
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room for my aunt and my cousin who were in town for a family wedding. They were given an oceanfront room upstairs, which is what requested. They loved it! The room was spacious and clean - the bathroom was spacious and clean - the view was wonderful. They had no problems with anything- good value for waterfront!

• Stayed October 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Ok, so the location is great...and hopefully you wont be spending much time in your room.
I will start with the good part: LOCATION ON THE BEACH. This is probably why the rest of the place has gone downhill. It was dirty and run down, almost like a movie motel from a 70's horror movie. AND the wait for food was long and once we ate breakfast, it wasnt good at all. I really hoped it would be better.

Room Tip: Our room was very very noisy due to the large AC unit outside the window..I hardly slept at all even...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn Stratford? Share your experiences!