“Out with the New, In with the Old....” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Trumbull, CT
“Out with the New, In with the Old....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We used to like this place better, believe it or not, when it was an old fashioned joint that had decent food, low prices, and an environment where we could bring little boys and not worry about it. Since the makeover, it is certainly much nicer inside and we had very high hopes. The very limited initial menu after the renovation has been filled out to some degree like it used to be. However, it is just different. It now is no longer the inexpensive family dinner place, but it is also far from really good Italian in the area (i.e., Biaggio, Amici, etc.). It is in nowhere land. The service was really poor. The waitress told us when we sat down rigth away "It is crazy in here tonight" but there were empty tables. That means she isn't good at her job, or the place is understaffed. We waited forever for food (almost 50 minutes), including for chicken tenders with fries for the kids! We asked for those to come out ASAP and before ours, if ready beforehand, as kids can't wait that long for food. Anyone with kids knows that. We also asked to substitute spinach for the pasta on both my wife's and my dishes since we don't eat much carbs. She said 'OK", but while I am fine with a reasonable up-charge, she instead brought us BOTH $7 sides of spinach (adding $14 to our tab). Had we known we may have just shared one. Not cool. The Scrod Franchase I had also said it came with artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes, etc., but came with none of those (just the fish and sauce). Not cool. There are too many other good places right near by. Stellas, we used to be fans and regulars. We came right after the renovation and were disappointed. We tried it again, and were disappointed again. Bye bye Stellas.....Hello Biaggio and Amici's!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mike S, Owner at Stella's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi doctor,Could you please write another review in response to this?I just cringe when I read it.If you can,that would be great.Thanks mike Sorry to bother you,I realize that your very busy

Plantation, Florida
“Everyone enjoyed their meals!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

With a party of five, you would figure that someone would have a complaint about their dinner. Not at Stella's on this evening! We ordered a variety of meals and each one was delicious. My Mother-in-law had a small pizza with broccoli and it was hot, crisp and tasty. My wife's Lasagna was one of the best I have ever tasted. I had Veal Piccata, which wasn't on the menu, but was made special for me. We complimented our meals with scrumptious garlic bread, with and without cheese. For dessert we tried the Zeppoles with cinnamon and caramel drizzle. They were excellent. The service was attentive without being overbearing. All in all, a great night out and we recommend Stella's highly.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mike S, Owner at Stella's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
I know that it is a little late but just wanted to say thanks for the kind review.Thanks again!Mike
Milford, CT
“Very Nice Little Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We visited the restaurant after we had seen Robert Irvine's, Restaurant Impossible, makeover. The decor was comfortable and the food was good. The only thing that took it down a step was the laminated menus. I understand why, but it is chintzy and 'dinery'. The specials were on a laminated strip of paper which means to me that they aren't really specials. I'd rather see them xeroxed on a piece of paper and know they are fresh only for that day. I wouldn't take a client there because of it, but I would visit again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mike S, Owner at Stella's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Sorry that i'm a a little late responding to your kind remarks.We really appreciate your business and hope that you come again.Believe it or not,the head chef at Sysco foods did those menus,sorry.We will always try to get it right.Please visit us again.Trying our best and implementing some new ideas.Mike
Pace, Florida
“After the Renovation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Went to Stellas with a family group of 5 adults. We called ahead as it was Friday night and did not want to wait. They only take reservations for 6+. The hostess told us to make it for 6 and when we get there tell the hostess the other person cancelled. There was no line when we got there so it was not packed. We had to wait about 5 min before anyone came by to get drink orders or adv of any specials and give us menus. Water comes in a carafe, self serve and rolls are provided. We waited about 15 min for our order to be taken, 2 small pizzas, veal marsala, seafood medley, eggplant parm. It took 45 min for 3 of the meals to come out and another 10 min for the pizzas. Everyone else was almost done eating. I was not very impressed, I guess its ok for a strip mall pizza place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mike S, Owner at Stella's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Truly sorry about your wait for food.We try our best so something must have happened,still not acceptable.We are better than that.Have constant meetings with staff,but sometimes things just happen and I am truly sorry.Can you email your address?I would love to have you come back and would love to send you a gift certificate.Sorry that it took a while too get back to you.Thanks,Mike Savoiemj@hotmail.com
Milford, Connecticut
“Good food, nice people. Great place to meet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I've been going to Stella's for years - I used to work across the street and it was a favorite for a special lunch treat. I've been back a few times since the change (Restaurant Impossible makeover). The food is good, the service is terrific. They don't hover, which is great as this is where I like to meet friends to catch up and just talk.

this is a good place for a family dinner, to meet friends, or even just to have a quiet dinner alone. The bar looks great, so I would imagine it's a fun place to watch a game. If you're in the area, give it a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mike S, Owner at Stella's Restaurant, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thanks for your review in march.Sorry it took so long to reply.We really appreciate your business.Please come again.Send me your address.Savoiemj@hotmail.com.Would love to send you something.Thanks again!Mike