“Good ice cream, large portions” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Storrs
Cuisines: Ice Cream
New York
“Good ice cream, large portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were in the area for a UConn college visit for my daughter and a visit to the dairy bar was on my must do list. The ice cream is good, but I've had richer, creamier ice cream elsewhere. However, if you're talking about fresh, this is probably the freshest ice cream you'll ever try! My daughter loved her "Husky Tracks" single scoop and said she would attend UConn for the ice cream alone!

We visited the dairy cows in their barn (to thank them for their generous supply of milk for the ice cream lol) prior to getting the ice cream and that adds to the fun. We visited during their feeding time and watched as they all chomped away at their feed. I guess the cows eat in shifts because some of them were out grazing on the gorgeous meadow while we were there. Great photo opportunity.

Ice Cream portions are HUGE and the price is more than fair for what you're getting. I'd visit again, for sure.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Coventry,Ct
“Ice Cream at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are in or near by Storrs, you must stop by the UCONN Dairy Bar for ice cream. There is nothing fresher on the market. The scoops are large and the flavors are outstanding. Don't forget the hot fudge. I ordered the Jonathan Supreme, my wife had the Coffee Espresso crunch and our dog enjoyed a cup of vanilla. All 3 ice creams were creamy and yummy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Staten Island, New York
“One Scoop is enough!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My daughters and I made this one of our stops as part of our weekend trip. The ice cream is definitely very good, but coming from New York, I just couldn't rate it excellent. I'm sure everyone has their "favorite" ice cream shop in the neighborhood and nothing can complete with it. I'm sure it's the same for those living in Mansfield. It was nice that you could sit inside or outside. The mistake that we made was all (4) of us ordered a double. The portions were so large we all had to throw away almost all of our second scoops. For the scoop size, it was definitely reasonable (at least compared to what we pay locally). So definitely make a stop there, enjoy a cone while sitting on the grounds but make sure you order a single!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
“Great Ice Cream Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very, very popular ice cream-only bar. Nice selection of flavors. I had the peach ice cream cone. Not an easy flavor to find and usually the peaches are like rocks, not here where they were fresh and perfect. Very creamy.

Visited July 2013
Groton, Connecticut
“A Super Summertime Treat!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We drive about 40 minutes away but still drive 2 or 3 times a year to visit the Dairy Bar. Really nice ice cream. My favorite is Toasted Almond while my wife loves the Maple Walnut. Toasted Almond is super nutty (not whole nuts, but easy to chew crushed nuts) and has no alcohol taste at all (most of the time Toasted Almond ice cream has a strong alcohol taste - - but not here). As a special treat, I can really recommend the milk shakes - - especially vanilla. We always buy some half gallons containers to take home and eggs during our visit. Everything fresh from the UCONN farm!!!

My only concern is the fact that they do not have a large supply of half gallon container on stock. They will fill up a container for you with the flavor that you want - - but it costs you an extra $2.00 over the regular price. Not a large fee - - but kind of unethical if you ask me. But I guess you can do that when you win a few basketball games.

Still it make brings a smile to my face when we decide to visit my alma mater. Enjoy and don’t forget to take some home.

TIP: During the summer they stay open longer - - Remember, it’s a Summertime Treat!!!

• Visited July 2013