“Worth the trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Another Second Penny Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stonington
Another Second Penny Inn
You added Another Second Penny Inn to your Saves list
870 Pequot Trail, Stonington, CT 06378-2234   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Stonington B&B and Inns
Massapequa Park, New York
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My stay at Another Second Penny Inn is a few years old now, but the visit is still fresh . My daughter and I wanted to visit Mystic Seaport one summer and we were looking for an historic Bed and Breakfast to stay in. My daughter found Another Second Penny Inn and I am glad she did. We had taken a leisurely trip from Long Island and arrived in New London having traveled on the ferry that disembarks from Orient Point. Once in New London, it was a short few miles to the front door of the Inn. Beautifully maintained and furnished, Another SEcond Penny Inn was a mixture of American elegance and rustic simplicity. Sandra and Jim were impeccable hosts and served delicious breakfasts each morning. Conversation was easy and Sandra made the guests at the breakfast table feel comfortable with one another.
The room we stayed in was beautiful and had a large four poster bed as well as a day bed. There was wi- fi and a television included but also writing utensils and a desk. Each evening, Sandra put out scrumptious cookies to bring up to your room, or savor in the parlor which made the stay even more special. What was really an advantage in selecting this Inn, was the specials it offered. These included package deals, which we were interested in, that offered dinners in great local eateries and admission to Mystic Seaport. The price was great and well worth taking them up on.
I am planning to make another trip to Mystic soon, and without question will stay at Another Second Penny Inn. By the way, the name of the Inn comes from the fact that the owners, who come from California ( most B&B ownders seem to be transplants from this state I think) had a boat called the Second Penny. They have another boat which they called Another Second Penny, so you see where I am going with this. Stories like this make the visit even more intimate and memorable. I highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We were very happy with our stay at Another Second Penny. The inn has a definite country feel, but Mystic and Stonington are only a few minutes away by car. We like to stay in older, historic inns, and this fit the bill. You really feel like you are in a home built in the 1700s, but it is still quite comfortable & cozy. We had the house to ourselves during our 2-night stay, so it was particularly peaceful.

Sandra was a great hostess, and if you’re an animal lover, Hobo the cat & Kelly the dog will make you feel right at home. We enjoyed a tasty breakfast every morning, and I appreciated the offer of soy sausage, as well as pork or turkey sausage, or bacon. We highly recommend Another Second Penny Inn!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellesley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My wife and I have spent many a weekend here, whenever we're down in the Mystic, CT area visiting with her family. This 300+ yr old property is an ideal setting for a bed & breakfast. Sandra and Jim, the innkeepers, offer a warm and inviting accommodations. From the little touches like the home-baked goodies placed out in the evening, to the antique toys in the dining room - this is a lovely place to spend a weekend (or a week) away. The three bedrooms upstairs that are all a bit different in their ambiance. We've stayed in them all and never had a complaint about any of them.
Check out Another Second Penny Inn the next time you're traveling in the area. Far, far better than the "famous" Mystic Inn nearby.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New Town, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

I was in the area on business and it was one of the few times my Wife was able to travel with me...Due to the history of the area, and the fact it was over Valentines Day, I wanted to try something other than the "normal" motel room...I found this Bed & Breakfast on Trip Advisor ans fell in love with it just from the photo's...Well, the photo's don't do it justice...This 300 year old Home was stunning!! We didn't want to leave...The breakfast was awesome, Sandra would leave snacks on the beautiful dinning room table and she stocked the small refrigerator in our room...We stayed in the Denison Room and all I can say is "WOW"...Four poster bed, fireplace, private bathroom, jets in the claw footed tub...If you are staying in the area, you have to stay here...I see some complaints about traffic noise...We didn't notice any at all...

Stayed February 2012
Fairfax, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I love staying in historic properties, and this one was a beauty. The rooms were luxurious and breakfast delicious and beautifully served on the owners grandmother's china. We stayed in the Noyes room which was very comfortable with its own private bathroom. The Dennison room which my family stayed in was really beautiful and ensuite, but they did complain of a bit of traffic noise which we didn't hear from our room.

Room Tip: Noyes room is quieter
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Seymour, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Another Second Penny Inn for our wedding anniversary in May 2011. We loved that fact that it was over 300 years old! If only those walls could talk! The antiques in the Russell room were beautiful. The house was very quiet except for the creaky original wooden floors which only added to the charm of the house. It did take a little getting use to the french style shower claw footed tub. Different but nice. The innkeepers, Sandra and Jim were very kind and made us feel very welcome and comfortable. I can't forget to mention the furry innkeepers, Cassidy and Hobo, who were very lovable and made us feel right at home. The breakfasts were delicious and beautifully presented on antique china each morning. I gave the sleep quality only three stars because the mattress was not all that comfortable. Other than the bed, this is one of the nicest bed and breakfasts we have stayed at. We would highly recommend Another Second Penny Inn if your travels take you to the Mystic, CT area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
strlght, Owner at Another Second Penny Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2011
Mattress choices are such a personal thing that it's hard for us to know what the guests meant by their comment. Unfortunately, they did not say anything to us while they were here (3 nights.) We can assure all of our potential guests that our mattresses are of excellent quality: plush, which means neither soft nor rock hard; level; no saggy places; no springs poking out; etc. We'd rectify this problem if we had enough information to do so but vague dissatisfaction isn't fixable.
Portland,Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

I had the opportunty to extend a business trip and spend a few snowy days in New England. I stayed at Another Second Penny for a couple nights to relax, enjoy the snow and soak up a little authentic New England B&B hospitality. I could not have been happier. The service was perfect...attentive but not overbearing (which can be the case with inexperienced B&B owners somtimes). I plan on returning in the summer for an extended vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Another Second Penny Inn? Share your experiences!