“The best place for dinner, food exceptionally good” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Stonington, Maine
“The best place for dinner, food exceptionally good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

My favorite place to have dinner. The yellow tuna dish is one of my favorites. Service is very good. Can get busy some evenings especially during the summer. Just recently re-decorated so have an open feel and less clutter than it had in the past. Have even fish, meat and vegan dishes here and they where all good.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

CT
“No menus???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stopped in for lunch around 12:30 on a Saturday. We usually have lunch at Millagro's across the street from the cafe. We were immediately seated but our waitress quickly apologized "we ran out of menus." There were probably less than 10 people in the restaurant at the time. That was a new one on me and not a good start. We eventually got menus and placed our order. It was 45 minutes from the time we were seated to the time we were served. That's unacceptable.

On to the food. I ordered fish and chips. My wife had shrimp and scallop lo mien. My fish had a slightly off taste - not stale perhaps something in the batter,and it was served w/o malt vinegar which is unusual for New England. Other that that it was OK. My wife's lo mien was not. It was kind of an odd dish - mostly noodles in a tasteless watery broth with barely a hint of sesame oil and it was very spicy. I know that tasteless and spicy kind of contradict but that's how it was. My guess is that the noodles were cooked with hot chilis and a bit of sesame oil added to the noodle water.
The small scallops were cooked fine but the shrimp were vulcanized to the point that neither of us would finish them.

This was our first visit and quite likely our last. We were hoping that the food would be so good that it would make up for the wait. It didn't. My suggestion - Millagro's across the street.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New England
“Welcoming and Preppy Chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I haven't been here in years but stopped in on a whim when in the area recently on a Friday evening. The place was bustling and there was a short wait for a table and the bar area was full. We bypassed the wait by sitting at the raw bar area. The service was excellent. One of us ordered the hanger steak and the other, the petite fillet for the main courses and.....they were both out of this world. I had the hanger steak and this is exactly how I love a steak to taste as it was exceptional. I'm not a big meat eater and rarely have a steak, but this was truly outstanding. Coastal New England casual atmosphere that is cozy, welcoming, and preppy chic. This place buzzes with energy. Reservations not accepted but patrons can call after 5 to put their name on the list. Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good menu, nice folks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Two dinners, two experiences. Menu was terrific, really only "fine dining" option. Service was awesome on night one, really poor on night two. Food great both times. Atmosphere was pub by and fun with a very talented guitarist one night. Big bar scene and crowded for the weekend so put your name in early.

Visited March 2014
Stonington, Connecticut
“Classy but casual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Really good food. Right on the main drag in Stonington. It has been a while since we were there, so I can't remember specific dishes, but we had seafood and it was excellent. Was busy and nosiy but felt like a party. Good wine list. We sat in the window and watched the annual Portuguese Feast of the Holy Ghost parade by which was really cool!!

• Visited August 2013