“the whole town goes there on thursday nite” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night
Arlington, Virginia
“the whole town goes there on thursday nite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

my lamb shank was great and so were the fried green tomates they have a guy who plays the guitar on thursday we sat at the bar
and ate dinner and once again met the locals there.

Visited October 2013

Stonington, Connecticut
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I'm a regular at Water Street and a couple other places around here and I am a fan. Last night I tried something new on the specials list that was outstanding, Oyster Stew. WSC always has a great array of oysters but this cream based, sherry laden herbed with sautéed onions WOW!

As usual the friendly and helpful staff was the best!

Sydney
“Good for lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had lunch here. Friendly service, more than adequate food at a reasonable price. Located in the centre of town

Visited October 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“not much from outside, but it's cosy inside and food is great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had lunch here. There's a simple enough menu, but the food is very good and well priced. It was very busy on a Saturday afternoon in October.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bridgeport, Connecticut
“A change of owership???”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was the third time my wife and I have been to the Water Street Café. It may be our last. We arrived at 6:00 PM on a Monday, without reservations and were seated immediately. There we sat for ten minutes without seeing our server or busser. No biggie. Our waitress came took a drink order and bread and water followed shortly there after. The café wasn't busy when we arrived, but we just beat the surge. Soon the café was became quite busy. My wife and I had both worked in the food service industry and know it fairly well. First off there appeared to be only 2 waiters working. And as the crowd grew we both looked at each other and knew it was going to be a long night. We usually order apps first and then dinner. Not this time. In anticipation of the surge ordering, we ordered apps and dinner at the same time. Shortly after we arrived a table of 6 were seated next to us. My app, 12 oysters on a half shell were served, warm with no ice. They were varied and were good in spite of their temp. My wife's app, fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomato was very good and a generous proportion. Our dinner was served and it was NOT hot. My grilled swordfish was okay a best and my wife's grilled scallops were over done.
My dinner tasted as if it was from a warehouse food store...not fresh. The table of six soon got up and left without getting their dinner. They were quite upset about the time they ordered dinner and the time spent waiting for it. They told other waiting customers not to waste their time and go else where. If the owner is the manager too, the owner needs to hire a manager. If the owner has a manager, the manager needs to be fired. There is NO excuse for this. If they took reservation, they would be able to gauge the amount of diners expected and staff accordingly. I do not subscribe that the customer is always right, but in this case... Like I said, this was our third time at the café and we go out of our way to get there. Most likely it will be our last. I for one refuse to pay premium prices for second class food and service. I believe I would have had a better dinner at one of the local diners. I feel bad for the wait staff as they are the ones that have to bear the guff from unsatisfied patrons. I wont even talk about the LIMITED menu and lack of seafood offered.

• Visited September 2013