“Big Letdown” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Connecticut
“Big Letdown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Following is a copy of an email I sent in response to the owner's request for feedback on our 3 night stay.

We found out about your inn from tripadvisor.com. So many of the write-ups were so glowing in their praise of your facility, that we heavily discounted negative comments. One that especially stuck out was a "short story" written by a woman who found dust/dirt nearly everywhere she checked in her room and encountered a lackadaisical attitude, on management's part, regarding her concerns.

On the cleanliness issue, I could not disagree more.........We found our room to be very clean, consistent with an establishment that is the caliber of your inn. However, I encountered the same bad attitude when I brought a problem, a 2 inch long, many legged black bug, to the attention of your manager. I was able to corral the bug in a water glass and brought it to the front desk so it could be shown to an exterminator. Your manger's response to all this was.......and I am paraphrasing.......No big deal, these bugs are quite common. I have them in my home.

News flash...........I don't have these bugs in my home and I do not expect to find them in a room that is costing me north of $200 a night. What I do expect is something like........I am sorry this happened and we will do a thorough check of your room to make sure their are not others there. We will also contact our exterminator to determine how serious a problem we have. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

A second problem is your breakfast. A B&B that charges $200 plus, a night, for a room should serve more than cold cereal, boiled eggs, toast and a couple of different pastries. I have gotten wonderful breakfasts, full breakfasts, at places that charge considerably less. What you serve your guests is comparable to what is available at a Holiday Inn Express. Upgrade your breakfast to a full breakfast for goodness sake.

And finally, you should know that I will be adding the above comments, verbatim, to the tripadvisor.com website. I am appreciative of the comments I find there when trying to make a lodging choice and my comments may help others in the same way.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the water are preferable to those facing the Water Street. Also, upper floor ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Keeper60, Manager at Inn at Stonington, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
It’s true. It was an antennae waving and many legged- but completely uninvited bug! If we did not come up with the right wording immediately it’s only because we were a little surprised by both the bug and its dramatic delivery to the front desk. We want to reassure our guests and readers that we do not have an insect problem at the Inn. We are regularly inspected by an exterminating company. We did write directly to the guest and apologized for having not handled his annoyance more readily.
To clarify the inn serves a very nice continental style breakfast which includes: fresh baked breads, scones or cinnamon rolls, bagels, fresh cut fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cereals and of course coffee, tea and juice. We are not a bed and breakfast and we are not set up to serve a hot breakfast. The continental breakfast is mentioned when the reservation is taken, in the confirmation letter, at check in and also on our website. There are some very nice restaurant choices just down the street that serve full breakfasts. In addition to our continental breakfast, the inn also offers a complimentary wine and cheese every evening.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff was wonderful. Everything u need is within walking distance.. the views were breath taking.. we will definitely be back.
We stayed in room 14 which was like our own apt. Jaccuzzi tub..seperate shower.. king bed with a sitting area.. would even be the perfect room to bring a child.. plenty of room. We felt very much at home. I want to go back and stay in the fall when we can use the fireplace!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent three days/two nights at the Inn. I hadn't been to Stonington for many years but much of the town is unchanged except for the Inn, which has been in operation for 12ish years. Accommodation is lushly elegant; rooms are spacious; public areas are comfortable and home-like. The staff are exceptionally kind, helpful and friendly. By the time I left I felt I'd known them for years. Can't imagine a better spot for some R&R.

Room Tip: Go for a corner room. They're slightly larger. Room 12 is especially nice, though it does not...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my hubby for 2 nights in Jan for my 30th birthday. What a beautiful inn! Clean, beautifully decorated, wine & cheese in common room at night:) perfect & great location...very good for a romantic getaway! Front desk was very friendly & had a TON of literature on where to go in the area. I give this inn a A++!

• Stayed January 2013
Sunbury, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here with my wife after reading that the INN was in the film "Hope Springs". We stayed for two nights. We should have stayed for a week. The town was so romantic. The Inn was
on the ocean front. We sat on the deck facing the water each evening enjoying the Inn's cheese,
crackers, and wine. We also sat there at 8AM each morning for breakfast. The location was very quiet and the shower in the bath was fantastic. We had no trouble getting help with directions to places of interest. One day we borrowed two bicycles from the Inn. The local restaurants were excellent as were the antiques stores and dress shops.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms on the east side had ocean view and deck.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
philadelphia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We'd never been to Stonington before but were given two nights stay at the Inn at Stonington as a gift and added a night that we paid for.

Stonington is a lovely small town filled with immaculate New England homes, a couple of boatyards, a tiny beach and at least one very good restaurant.

Our room at the Inn was on the second floor overlooking the water and a waterside restaurant. The room was just outstanding, with a great king bed, large whirlpool bath and one of the best separate showers I've had in a hotel in a while. It also had a small balcony, just large enough for two chairs.

The room was simply and tastefully decorated without all the B&B clutter that junks up many of these places. It was also very clean. Breakfast is continental, but not the kind of 'continental' that means that it's just an afterthought. There was homemade bread, ripe fruit, hardboiled eggs, etc. and you get to eat it in attractive surroundings inside or outside.

Incidentally, coffee was served by children. If your children are grown, or if you've forgotten how lovely, smart and delightful kids can be, the servers at Stonington will remind you.

We went most days to the beach in Watch Hill, R.I. just up the road and drove over to Mystic a couple of times. The Inn at Stonington is an ideal, quiet retreat in the middle.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlton NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have stayed here before and as before a wonderful experience.
This is just a quaint little town not filled with an abundance of people, which is what we are always looking for, QUITE.
We love the fact that we park our car at the Inn, walk down the block to a quite beach, and walk behind the Inn for great food at the Skippers Dock.
Please keep in mind Stonington Borough is a great place to visit if you are looking for a quite vacation. A place to truly just relax.
We love the fact that the Inn doesn't accommodate children. Please don't get me wrong we love children and spend a lot of time with our grandchildren, but sometimes you just want to be able to get away from all that. It's what makes the Inn special for us. the quite time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Stonington? Share your experiences!