“Not a good place” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic
Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   812 Stonington Road, Stonington, CT 06378 (Formerly Sea Breeze Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Stonington
Edgewater, Florida
“Not a good place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The room was damp and smelled of mold. There were no amenities at all. Do not stay there. Most of the staff did not speak english. If I had known about this before we booked on travelocity I would not have chosen this hotel. The AC fluctuated constantly and could not rid the room of the dampness. Stay away!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
abvistonington, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
We do know that our property had a history of dampness being so close to the water, and were actively trying to rid the problem. You will be delighted to know that last winter we had a basement specialist come to assess our problem and they have taken care of all mustiness in our rooms. We couldn't be happier! Being so close to the water always has some side affects, but we can assure you this longtime problem has finally been solved! We would like you to come visit us when passing through and you can see for yourself how we've improved.

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
North Attleboro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We checked in and went to our room to find a musty smelling room, two airconditioners one of which didn't work, cracked paint, dreadful decorations and mold on the walls. It was reasonably clean as a positive but not worth the $$ as I have stayed in motels at the same price range that included breakfast! Just don't bother.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
As you can see by our responses to the other reviews, we have taken care of the musty odor. We have never had mold in our bathrooms. We did, however, instruct all of our housekeepers to check our guest bathrooms thoroughly. It is extremely important that we make all of our guests happy and want to see you return. There is never an excuse for anything less than perfect!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Do not stay here, I repeat. DO NOT STAY HERE. The smell was atrocious. We had to keep the windows open, air conditioning on, bathroom exhaust on, to try and get rid of the smell.

• Stayed May 2012
We are so sorry you had to go through that to get fresh air. We have completely corrected the must odor problem! We would love for you to come and see for yourself how fresh the rooms are now! We are also working on several other upgrades and will keep doing so to keep our property at it's best!
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

We wanted a relaxing brief trip while visiting relatives in another part of the state. The inn was convenient to golf and the casino. The room was clean and comfortable. While breakfast was ok, the setting was relaxing It was a bit irritating that I had to ask for more coffee and not able to serve myself. It was great that there was an exercise room as well as walking distance to the beach.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I think they have really changed and improved the hotel , this was my second visit and my previous visit was not so great and I wasn't planning a second visit but I had to for personal reasons. They changed the hotel a lot the bathroom is suprisingly clean and the beds are actually comfortable. I would surly recommend this hotel and IRS a nice place to really go when your away.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Ellsworth, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012 via mobile

My family and I booked two rooms on New Year's Eve to save a lot of money while visiting Foxwoods casino. I booked the room without reading the reviews.
Upon reading the reviews, I was mortified. I wondered if I should cut my losses and just book a different hotel, but I had hope because some reviews said it really wasn't that bad.
We stayed there anyway. The hotel is not in a bad part of town. It's actually in the middle of nowhere and we would have never found it if not for the GPS. The outside was not extremely well lit, and the appearance was average. The clerk was not anything special. He asked me for my credit card info, which I had already entered online. When I told him that, he looked through some paperwork and I saw my entire card number on the paper (which I'm pretty sure is illegal). He gave me the old fashioned room keys and sent us on our way.
The two rooms I booked together were as far away as they could possibly be. But oh well.
Upon entering the room, it was about 30 degrees colder than the outside temp, but we got the heater going in good time. The room was extremely old and run down. The carpets were stained and all electrical outlets and windows were all painted over. It was hard to find an outlet that worked. The TV was definitely 13", but it didn't work so it really didn't matter. There was a microwave and small fridge, but that really didn't matter because They weren't near the working outlet.
Oh, and the smell. It was pretty strong. It smelled like they were keeping billy goats in the next room, but I have no evidence to back that up. The bathroom was very outdated and the faucet and toilet were loose. Before I would have a seat on the John, I would have to say a little prayer that the toilet wasn't going to fall through the floor. The shower was a stall shower and the water was hot and the water pressure was real good too. The hair dryer on the wall looked like it came over on the mayflower, and I would not suggest using it.
The beds were surprisingly comfortable, the bedspreads were questionable, and the sheets were nice and surprisingly clean. There were only two pillows, and I dared not ask for any more.
We did not spend much time at the room, as we stayed at the casino until early morning. We slept in until about 9 am or so the next day. Upon leaving the room, the not-so-friendly maid took my key and her counterpart who did not speak English, grunted and motioned to my hubby, demanding to bum a cigarette.
The moral of my story: you get what you pay for. If every hotel in proximity of a tourist destination is $250++ per night and you find one for $100 per night, beware. We only needed the room to sleep and shower, so it definitely did the trick. I definitely won't be making a return trip to the Seabreeze America's best inn!

• Stayed January 2012
Poole
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

This is not a place that I would recommend to anyone. We asked for a bath and the plugs didn't work. The blankets were torn. It was really expensive and the only redeeming feature was its proximity to Stonington which was a beautiful place and we had a lovely meal at the Dock.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Stonington/Mystic? Share your experiences!