“Is this the worst hotel in the Hilton chain?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center

You added Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center to your Saves list
Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 First Stamford Place, Stamford, CT 06902 (Formerly The Westin Stamford)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Columbia, Maryland
“Is this the worst hotel in the Hilton chain?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I am a Hilton honors member and have averaged more than twelve nights in other Hilton group hotels for the past several years. If this property is not the worst hotel in the chain, I hope I don't stay in the anchor hotel! When I called to make reservation I was quoted a rate $5 per night higher than the Hilton website was showing. We were charge $13 per day for valet parking because there is no free parking in the area. The property also refused to give us the free breakfast coupons that are part of the Hilton honors program. My wife and I declined the opportunity to pay $19 plus tax per person for the breakfast buffet.

The bathroom in the room we were assigned needed basic maintenance beyond normal housekeeping. A large piece of marble was missing from the counter surrounding the sink and the floor drain in the tub was partially clogged.

The hotel neglects picking up trash in the lobby, fitness area, pool area and outside the building. I went to swim between 10 and 11 in the morning only to find bottles, cans and glasses remaining on the floor from the previous evening's party below the “eating and drinking not permitted” warning sign.

This Hilton hotel has a pet program that is not very friendly to guests or pets. We had to fill out forms about our dog that included several limitations that were not mentioned when I phoned to make a reservation. Pets are not allowed to be alone in the room at any time. Since pets are not permitted in the restaurant, room service is the only alternative to leaving the property for meals. Pets are also not permitted in the pool area so you won't be able to enjoy a swim or to use the hot tub. Oh, don't try using the gym either! The hotel charges a flat one time fee of $50 per pet but the hotel does not have special dog accommodations. Fortunately my wife and I were able to put our pet in day care at a nearby Pet Smart for an additional $25 per day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011 via mobile

As the title says, the hotel is ok. No wifi in rooms is very disappointing, only have cable connection. Service in restaurant was very very slow, unusual for quality of service in american hotels. Rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. Would stay again onky if convenient for a meeting, otherwise would go to marriot.

• Stayed August 2011
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Where to even begin..... I booked the "romance package" for the weekend (which was supposed to include breakfast, champagne, early check in and late check out) as we were up in CT for a wedding and needed some relaxation between wedding events. We also wanted to bring our dog and Hilton has a Pets Program or at least it's supposed to.... The Stamford Hilton was a gigantic disappointment. Instead of feeling relaxed and at ease, we were mostly just stressed out and irritated the entire time.

For starters, the place is in an office park near I-95 which is convenient but not so great when all the hotel parking spaces in the garage are blocked off and you have to go through the lobby of an office building with your stuff and your dog and get yelled at by security. No one offered to help us with all of our stuff when we arrived (also a bad sign). The Pets Program is virtually non-existent here though I did get an attitude at check in about the dog and had to fill out a bunch of forms. There is a little park area where you can walk your dog, with garbage cans, which was nice. We had booked a deluxe king room and the room was tiny and the bed was, at best, a california queen. It was on a king sized frame/headboard but there was at least 8-10 inches missing of mattress on each side. Also, the room reeked of cigarette smoke and the pillows were horribly lumpy! I am guessing that no one had stayed in that room in a long time. We asked for a new room the next morning but did not get it until after midnight (ugh) though it was slightly bigger and nicer (had a couch though still had a faux-king sized bed).

The room service breakfasts was also subpar - to crib the experience, sometimes they brought us coffee but no cups; sometimes they brought us cups with no coffee, once they brought us a "continental" breakfast which was a bowl of cereal and a muffin. We also only received the amenities (champagne, etc) the first night we were there and instead of the 4pm check out we were promised they could only do 2pm. Also, something none of the reviews ever mentioned before is that from 9pm to about 3am there are hoardes of roving drunk people wandering the lobby (I'm not sure if there was an event or something). I didn't really care as I live in NYC so I see far worse on a regular basis, but some (particularly those with children or conservative people) might find it very off putting. However, there is an AWESOME gift shop in the lobby, which has everything you could possibly need (food, ties, socks, cufflinks, etc) which is open late.

When we left to check out, I asked to see a copy of our bill before I authorized my credit card to be charged. The gentleman at the front desk printed out for me and there were two charges on there for both breakfasts (for about $40 apiece) AND the rate on the invoice was higher than what I had confirmed. I pulled up the confirmation email on my iPhone and showed it to the front desk person and informed him that I had used breakfast vouchers. He was very understanding, removed the breakfast charges and even discounted our room rate, which was appreciated. I also received a phone call from the manager apologizing for the many problems we had encountered during our stay. I really appreciated that a few of the staff were so nice to us and were really trying their best to make us happy. Having said that, I will probably never stay in a Hilton ever again unless it is the only possible option as this stay really turned me off to the brand.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Their were no wireless internet connection, just the paid internet cable connection which was quite disappointing. My friend had to pay for his parking. Beside those two problems the room was fine and clean.

Room Tip: No free internet wireless connection
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London/Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

As mentioned by other reviewers the bedrooms and corridors had a strong smell of damp and the door was very thin with everything in the corridor clearly audible in the room. The room was ok although it was looking very tired and needed an update. I was also disappointed to have to explain to staff that Europe and the UK have different electric plugs and therefore require different adaptors. Unfortunately the one that was supplied subsequently shorted the electrics in my room (blowing the door off the aircon in the process) and then gave me a shock when I tried it again. The response from staff to this was exceptional, however, with the maintenance guy going out of his way to find me at breakfast and ensure that it was comped. On the positive side breakfast was good and the staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Oreland, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stayed here for business, executive floor, and as a gold member I have seen some wonderful executive floors. This one (particularly the 9th floor) smelled of musty, damp, mold. The entire carpeting needs to be replaced. Every single door as I walked down the hall, looked as if juice or coffee had been spilled on every one, tons of scuff marks were on every door, baseboard, and corner. The bathrooms were so-so, loose shower fixtures, rusty shower curtain rods. All in all the executive floor needs a complete rehab. Elevator to garage looked and sounded like I was in some old industrial building in Chinatown. Lobby was nice , staff was nice, not sure about other floors. I think I'll try the Marriott next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Despite the hotel being vy quiet we were given what was clearly a poor room, low floor, no view, near the lift and an odd shape. You would have thought that a low occupancy hotel would seek to wow its few visitors to spread the word and improfe its reputation. Clearly not

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!