“What A Wondeful Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center

You added Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center to your Saves list
Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 First Stamford Place, Stamford, CT 06902 (Formerly The Westin Stamford)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Lawrence, MA
“What A Wondeful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I didn't expect what i saw driving up the driveway to the hotel. Corporate buildings are on both sides of this hotel. Ernst Young on one side, Elizabeth Arden of the other.
Once pass this the driveway circle had beautiful flowers surrounding the and lining the driveway. The entrance was modern with a doorman in uniform waiting for us. He opened our doors and immediately welcomed us to the hotel. Walking us to the reception desk he told us of the amenities at the hotel. The receptionist had our reservation on her screen within minutes. She also informed us of the amenities in the hotel. We asked for an upgrade but were unable to get one so the receptionist gave us complimentary entrance to the Executive club for the length or our stay.
Our room was a welcomed site, clean, warm with colors, comfort in the beds and the arm chair with ottoman.
The bathroom was large, very clean and the amenities on the vanity were plentiful with fresh aromatic fragrances.
The thermostat on the wall allowed us to regulate our air quality without any difficult. It was silent when it turned on and off. The beds were comfortable, the only thing I didn't like was the pillows were down and I am allergic to down. I did request a foam pillow but never received it. I did inform the desk of this.
The food in the restaurant was very good. The buffet breakfast had an excellent variety of breakfast food. A bit pricey but for a short stay it was worth it.
What I found out was this hotel has a courtesy van taking guest to and from the downtown area in Stamford. That was something I could've have used if I were staying longer.
All in all this was a very surprising pleasant stay at this hotel.
On a scale of one to ten I would give it a ten.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Various
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

In the back of an office park and transportation options (eg, taxis) seemingly very limited. Room was substandard. Many hairs from the previous guest. Digital television could not pick up HD channels. Non-functioning outlets. Poor Wifi reception in my room that was unusable except at one spot (away from the bed!)

Seems to be the corporate hotel for RBS nearby and there was a huge pile-up on the morning shuttle bus.

Uninspiring location; low quality accommodation experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton in Stamford. A little off the beaten path but they have a shuttle service that leaves every 30 minutes. It's can be hard to find parking sometimes in Stamford so the shuttle service is convenient if you don't want to move your car. The service was remarkable. It was prom night at the hotel so things got loud when the prom let out at 11:00pm. We called down to the front desk and complained. The next morning I found a note under my door telling me that my internet and breakfast was complimentary - nice! The only down side is that you have to pay for parking ($10.00/day) but you have to pay for parking everywhere in Stamford. (my sleep quality rating reflects the noise from the prom, but otherwise it would be excellent). The restaurant was expensive - good thing we didn't have to pay for it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
St. Paul, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Elevator from garage was out of service, making everyone self parking carry bags upstairs to get to lobby. Would be nice if this was a priority fix. Overall it is a decent business hotel. Room was clean and had nice, typical Hilton appointments.

• Stayed June 2011
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed at his hotel for business. Upon checking in at 10:30 pm, I was told by the front desk that the restaurant was closed but that room service was available. I went straight to my "suite" and called room service. I was told that they were closed. When I said that the front desk said they were open, the gentleman said "well, we are backed up so it will be over an hour before we can even bring you a fruit plate." When I insisted that I still wanted the fruit plate, he said "well, I hope you enjoy it" in a nasty tone.

Then, I called the front desk because both thermostats in the "suite" read 54 degrees and I was freezing. I turned them up to 78 degrees and they room stayed 54. I could not open windows for warm air from outside and there were no extra blankets. The front desk advised that I would have to wait to have their engineer look at it the next morning because there was no overnight engineer. I was not offered a new room.

After freezing all night, I tried ordering room service before showering for my client meeting. The woman told me it would be 30 minutes. An hour later, I still had no food, so I called back down. The woman told me that they were "backed up" and were "upgrading their system" so it would be at least 20 more minutes for my eggs. I cancelled my order and went hungry. There was no mini bar from which to snack in the room. So, I was freezing and hungry in my "luxury suite".

As for the "suite" please be advised that it was a dump. the carpet was stained and frayed. The tub was small and gross. There was no wireless internet in the rooms which is unheard of these days.

The hotel elevators were filthy and worn.

I left the hotel and finished my week at the Marriot in Stamford. The difference in cleanliness, style, and service was night and day. The Marriot is 3 stars at least above the Hilton in Stamford and I defy anyone to tell me otherwise. I have never been treated so poorly and never stayed in such a poorly run, dirty hotel. To offer its guests neither food nor heat (54 degrees!!!) is a crime in my book.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriot!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
mark_anderson2, General Manager at Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear patty089,

Please accept our sincere apology for your experience at our property. While we strive to deliver exceptional experiences to all our guests, we are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to continually improve our product through the eyes of our guests.
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My company held a 2 day conference in this hotel. The rooms were nice enough, with plenty of space for working. The bed was especially comfortable, with a proper duvet. The food was very mediocre - breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all bland. The conference facilities were very good, and the staff there seemed very capable in terms of setting up and maintaining the event. They have a great business center. The location is an office park next to the highway, so there is no place to walk to easily, if you need a break from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We just stayed at The Stamford Hilton with a group for 10 days 4/18 - 4/27. The group booked the whole hotel (1500 people) and was in charge of setting it up the way they needed. Everything about the hotel went very smoothly (because our group was in charge) except a couple of things.
1) We arrived at noon to check in and were told the room was not yet ready. We checked every 15 minutes after to see if our room was ready, but had to wait until 2pm. When 2pm arrived and we were told the room was still not ready, so we insisted they check sending someone up to the room. It was ready and had been for some time.
2) We wanted housekeeping to make up the room four of the days, so we set the room to "Do not disturb" the other days only. Only once could we get the room made up, having to walk down the long hallway to get clean towels, more soap and shampoo, empty the garbage, etc. on the other days. One day we left the room at 10am and I walked down the hall and asked the housekeeper to please clean the room before lunch. I told her the room # three times to make sure (Though from another country, she said understood what I told her) and she said she would do it NEXT, but when we returned at 3:30 the room still had not been touched (and the cart was in the same place down the hall 5 hours later). Hilton, in this economy is it so hard to get housekeepers (maids) to do a job?
By the way, we stayed on the 9th floor. Because the housekeeping problem was not limited to our floor after speaking with others in the group, we were already in contact with the leaders of the group to look elsewhere for next year's stay.
Hilton Manager, please don't just reply with the standard, "We will strive to do better".
We expected better from a Hilton.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Stamford Hotel & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!