“An ageing Marriott of fair value with great room service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   243 Tresser Boulevard, 2 Stamford Forum, Stamford, CT 06901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Stamford
Illinois
“An ageing Marriott of fair value with great room service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

I stayed at the Marriott in Stamford in mid February '07, at a low rate via an opaque booking service where I named my own price. While this Marriott is showing some rough corners and a bit of tarnish with age, the booking service I used rates it as 3-star, and it certainly met my expectations for a 3-star hotel. There were some issues, however.

Parking was a breeze in the attached hotel garage (clean and well-lit), and although not free ($7/day), it does include unlimited in/out. Check-in was also fast and easy, but this may be more attributable to the fact that the place appeared deserted, than to staff efficiency. I never saw a single other guest during my 1-night stay! The staff was helpful in directing me to my destination in the city.

The room was well-furnished and attractive, if with slightly out-dated designs. The carpeting was showing some wear, but was mostly clean (housekeeping doesn't seem to vacuum the edges or other inconvenient spots, where dust accumulates). The room included a 27" TV with a limited selection of channels (including HBO), a king bed, work desk, armchair & ottoman, lamps, dresser, mirrored closet, luggage rack, ironing board & steam iron, coffee maker (in the armoire with the TV), ceramic mugs, glass tumblers, ice bucket, radio/alarm clock, and wired internet ($10/day fee). There were clean sheer curtains, and functional heavy black-out draperies, which were valuable on my east-facing room at sunrise. Climate control was electronic and worked flawlessly. All the lamps worked, the remote control worked, and lighting was satisfactory. The deadbolt in the door would not work, so I relied upon the swing-latch to keep out any burglars.

The bedding was very comfortable, including feather and foam pillows, down duvet, and high-threadcount sheets. The pillow-top mattress was, however, too soft for my comfort and I did not sleep well. Furthermore, housekeeping in this hotel seems to think that flat sheets are acceptable bottom sheets, rather than using fitted sheets. That's a pet peeve of mine, as the whole bed tends to come apart as I toss & turn at night. Hate that. What was more disturbing was to discover in the morning that the bottom sheet was mottled with some coffee-colored stains across the entire surface. Had I seen that the night before, I would NOT have slept in that bed! It was fresh-smelling, however, so I can only presume it was harmless.

The bathroom was borderline acceptable--functional but quite unattractive. It included standard Marriott shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soaps, hair dryer, makeup mirror, and a $4.50 bottle of spring water. Three washcloths, three hand towels, and three bath towels were thick and spotlessly clean. There was a shoe-mitt, which had some unknown residue inside--apparently un-noticed by housekeeping: yuck! The countertops were chipped & cracked plastic, the toilet had hard-water scum, the bathtub had grime in the bottom, and some of the wall tiles had been replaced--with tiles of the wrong color! The flooring was clean, but the grout needed bleaching, as it was quite stained in traffic areas. The worst part of the bathroom was the ceiling, which was of the suspended-panel style: the paint was peeling profusely from the metal framework, and quite unsightly. It would have only taken 5 minutes for someone to sand off the peeling paint and apply a fresh coat. Boo-hiss!! The shower supplied plentiful hot water, and all drains & plumbing worked perfectly.

I had room-service breakfast, which was delivered promptly on time, served hot, exactly as ordered, with plentiful portions. The coffee was strong and delicious; the orange juice was obviously fresh-squeezed and outstanding. The scrambled eggs were hot, but I would order over-easy or sunny-side-up in the future, as the crumbly texture of "egg beaters " is less appealing to me. The toast was perfect, the potato side dish was tasty (and unexpected) and the platter was garnished with chunks of fresh fruit. The flatware was sparkling clean, and there was an free mango smoothie on the tray. And the price was reasonable ($12, plus $2 delivery fee, plus 18% gratuity). Over-all, the breakfast was the best part of my stay, and I'm glad I ordered it.

So this hotel gets high marks for the lobby and general service, room-service, and value, mixed marks for cleanliness and quality of furnishings, and low marks for the bathroom appearance. I would stay here again, but I'd check those sheets before settling in.

• Liked — Great room service breakfast was a good value
  • Disliked — Deadbolt on room door did not function; stained sheets on bed.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

510 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Stamford Marriott for a little spa weekend getaway. We thought we got a great deal with the AAA package (which included breakfast). Soo...what went wrong? Well, I learned an important lesson - ALWAYS ask about visiting conferences. There was a church youth group conference staying there at the same time. At first, it did not bother us - after all, they can't bother me up in my room, right? Wrong. Several teenagers sat outside of my room eating pizza till the wee hours in the morning. We called security twice to no avail. Finally, I opened my door and yelled at them to get into their rooms. When I complained to the front desk the next morning, they looked at me without blinking and offered a $50 gift card for future Marriott stays. Now, I don't hate staying at the Marriott, and I will probably use the card. But I don't like the fact that no one came when I called. What if I had been in real trouble?

The best part of our stay was breakfast and the Agora Spa. In fact, the spa made up for the bad night we had. All in all, ask about visiting conventions!

• Liked — The fluffy pillows and the amazing Agora Spa
  • Disliked — The lack of security, crazy teenagers and horrible front desk service.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stratford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

My husband and I booked in the Marriott Stamford (not the Courtyard) via Priceline for a weekend prior to a week's stay at the Hyatt Greenwich (paid for by his work).

They say this is (and charge for)a four-star hotel, but it is TIRED. The carpets, the decor, the concierge service, everything is so 80s. (We didn't have to worry about tipping the porter when we checked in as none even bothered to meet us or was offered to us.)

The rooms are nice sized, the beds were very comfortable and the bedding was excellent (down duvets with choice of foam or feather pillows). But it's hard to remember that you are staying in a 4-star hotel when you walk around the place, with old wallpaper peeling and the green and magenta colors dominating.

One nice thing (an improvement over the Hyatt): the business center had free internet access. Also the attached parking garage always had plenty of space and the hotel was nearby Atlantic Street with all the restaurants and bars (Tigin's is the best pub).

There is also a very decent fitness center here. But we were very glad we didn't pay the rack rate (on the door, listed at $359) for this room. Definitely glad we got the Priceline deal (a steal!).

If you are looking for real four-star, check out the Hyatt Old Greenwich, just 3 minutes up the road. That place is stunning (see my review), if just a little poncy. The bar/lobby is fabulous.

By the way, prices here are a bargain on the weekends (via Priceline), but it fills up during the week because of corporate traffic.

Stayed January 2007
Long Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

My family and I booked five rooms at this hotel in October for Thanksgiving. We needed double beds in 3 rooms since we were traveling with children. We called the hotel directly and were guaranteed 2 double beds in 3 out of 5 rooms. Two days before Thanksgiving, I receive an email telling me they can't provide us with double beds. They don't offer any alternative in the email other than offering king beds and a cot, or the phone numbers of 3 nearby hotels.

When I called to find out what happened, I'm told a large group of 250 had extended their stay and they can't honor our reservation! I suppose the lesson to learn at this property is that your reservation will be canceled they moment something better comes along. The General Manager didn't even have the decency to return my call.

I'd be weary believing you have a ressie at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

I stayed at this hotel alone for one night on a weekend night in November. There was a religious function taking place in the hotel. People were everywhere. Even though the lobby area appeared chaotic, check-in was fast and efficient. The women at the front desk were very friendly and professional. My room (non-smoking king) had the faint smell of a "deoderized ashtray". It was clearly obvious the room had been smoked in. Ten minutes of having the window open did not eliminate the odor. I called guest services and explained that the room smelled of smoke. The very pleasant woman told me that someone probably "sneaked a cigarette". I told her that it was not a fresh odor of smoke, but an old stale "ashtay" smell. She told me she didn't understand why it smelled because the room is a non-smoking room. I knew that all rooms were now non-smoking, but the room had an odor of an ashtray. I explained that I knew the room had been a smoking room because the lovely desk chair had a sizeable cigarette burn on the seat cover. The guest service agent was very pleasant and offered to switch my room. The second room definetly smelled better, with a slight odor of room deoderizer (no ashtray smell). The room had a great view of I-95 south. The view was even more impressive at night with all the city lights. Cleaning the huge dirty windows would have made the view even better. The temperature control system was electronic and very powerful. The room was generally in good shape but not new. The highlight of the room was the bed. My bed at home has a firm memory foam mattress and pillows. The hotel bed was very soft but EXTREMELY comfortable. The bed linens were of high quality. It was probably the most comfortable bed I've slept on in a hotel room. The channel selection on the TV was okay but nothing special. There are a few movie channels an an opportunity to purchase pay-per-view movies. One lamp in the room had a burned out lightbulb, so I had to move the floor lamp temporarily to allow for adequate light to type on my computer. The bathroom was in good shape and very clean I will add. They provided higher quality "aromatherapy" soaps and shampoo products. I found them quite pleasant. The water pressure was excellent. The coffee make is in a ridiculous place. It is located inside the TV armoire and its difficult to access. I found that I almost didn't want my cup of coffee once I was finished preparing it. Move the coffee makers Marriottt. Also, there is a sign in the bathroom from guest services asking guests to enjoy the bottle of refreshing Poland Spring water for $4.50 charged to the room. Who charges $4.50 for a bottle of water? Not realistic. Check-out was again professional, fast and efficient and the Sunday paper left at my door was a nice touch. The parking fee was $7.00 for the entire night; not bad considering the hotel is located in downtown Stamford and has parking attendants. I did not use the pool, workout or restaurant facilities so I cannot comment on them. The small store adjacent to the lobby had great coffee and reasonable prices. I've attempted to be as precise and fair as possible when writing this review. It really is a large, efficiently run hotel with a very professional staff. Since I paid $60 (yes $60!) for this room on Priceline..it was a sheer bargain for the room and amentities I received. I definetly would not pay the nearly $200 a night for this room midweek ... it definetly is not a $200 room. For your information, the room rate (required by law to be posted in the room) was posted in the bathroom and it said $395. My question to the hotel... Who would pay $400 to stay in a standard room at the hotel? A 3 star property!

• Liked — Bed, view and price
  • Disliked — Having to switch rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room that has always been non-smoking (not a converted one)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

We stayed here for a dart tournament. It was nice, our room was clean. I just wanted to mention that the food by the pool was absolutely horrible. Very expensive, quite disgusting. Room service was also very expensive (we didn't order though). If we go again next year for the tournament, I'd like to try the rotating restaurant at the top of the hotel.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Pool food
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid the pool food!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Palm Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

After reading the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, I was rather disappointed in the hotel. It's not a really a bad place and I'm not familiar with the competition, but for the price (we paid over $200) it's not a place I would seek out. The service was lackluster (e.g. no detergent in laundry room; poor service in the bar/restaurant; unremarkable rooms; unimpressive location. If it's the best the city has to offer, we'll stay in a nearby city next time.

• Liked — Full complement of amenities.
  • Disliked — Location, service.
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!