“It's decent but not sure for how long. But will stay again.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa

Save Saved
You added Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   243 Tresser Boulevard, 2 Stamford Forum, Stamford, CT 06901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Stamford
“It's decent but not sure for how long. But will stay again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This is a bit long in the tooth for a Marriott. One can plainly see that it once was a GREAT place. It is now decent. Without renovation, it will not be decent for long.

The staff was friendly, and they got us our room early. We were on the train to NYC within 30 minutes of our arrival at the hotel. Free shuttle is great.

Location is stellar right next to a great mall with REAL restaurants not just Ruby-apple-chilis, etc. I saw a board on the window of the hotel's top floor circular restaurant and was told that it had been closed for a while - indicative of the need for investment.

The rooms were a bit dated but comfortable. The mattress was very comfortable. The sky lights in the lobby were repaired rather than replaced, the outdoor track appeared to have been closed due to lack of upkeep. The gym was nice.The pool was fine but had seen better days. It was nicely heated. Brekafast at Sam's was nice.

Is it a great hotel? No - but it is decent. Is it my first choice in the future? No - but when decent NYC hotels are running $400-700 a night I will opt for this cost effective solution.

However, without a decent amount of investment, it is likely that this hotel will lose what luster it has left in the near future.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
pgriffith, Director of Sales at Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you for your review--your comments will help us strive to be better.
I'm glad our free shuttle to/from the train station was a hit, as well as our central location right across the street from the Stamford Town Center Mall. You just can't beat our location which is 'next to everything'.
Our top floor IS under renovation. This level is being converted to high end office rentals, for short and medium term tenants, and should be ready by end of summer. New energy efficient windows are being installed all around that space over the next few months.
I'm confused that you felt our rooms were 'dated' since all 500 rooms were renovated just two years ago. In the past 6 months, we have also spent millions on our Ballroom, a brand new lobby, new Sam's restaurant, and health club on the first floor. These massive investments will help us better serve all our valued customers.
I hope you will return to the Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa again soon, and thank you for writing.

517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I remember when Marriott meant a decent class stay in a hotel. Either I have changed or Marriott has. I don't always expect a lot out of some of the Marriott brands but I do expect a little more from the Marriott line. The hotel, rooms, pool and spa are all old and tired. The walls are paper thin, the heating/cooling system extremely loud and inaccurate (it came on every 10 minutes to blow cool air into a very hot room--set for 60 never got below 75.), and the staff while not rude, were certainly not helpful.

The location is good if you are on your way to New York City, but I can't find any other reason to want to stop in Stamford. The mall is right next to the hotel and offers a reasonable food and shopping choice. My daughter enjoyed the pool, but it is small and in need of some touchups. We dined in "Sams" for breakfast. Good buffet, typical, and expensive.

We also had the displeasure of staying while a large and rude convention was at the hotel. We couldn't sleep because of the noise in the hall and rooms. I called to the front desk and was offered no help. In the morning when I checked out, I again complained and was met with "sorry, but this was a tough night with the convention in town." I was supposed to return to the hotel 3 nights later on my way home. I cancelled immediately, and again was offered no real apology or amends.

This is a very expensive Marriott, charging guests additional for wifi and parking. The whole place, including the name and spa, are just a good front for an average outdated hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Storrs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I'm a Marriott Platinum member and have stayed at many of the Marriott branded hotels including Renaissance, Residence Inn, Springhill Sutes, Courtyards and the standard Marriotts. I'm pretty loyal to Marriott as I have never really been disappointed with any of their hotels, except this one. When I book a hotel the things that are important to me are that it is clean, fresh smelling, decorated nicely and lacking artifacts of previous guests. The room I got was musty and smelled like the refrigerator was defrosted into the carpet. I wouldn't say the room was not clean but it was outfitted with what appeared to be circa 1980 furniture with signs of wear. The bathroom looked old too. I complained about this when booking my reservation for next week and was told that all rooms in the hotel were renovated 3 years ago. I really doubt that. The lava lamp lookalike on the desk took me right back to the 70's. ...and the kicker, it's one of the most expensive Marriotts I've stayed at. Going to give it 1 more try this week.

Room Tip: If you're platinum ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dawsonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Staff friendly and courteous. Beds are the most comfortable ever. Maid service was wonderful. Kept supplies stocked for me. Lounge has great food and great staff. Had a great time while there even though it was a business trip. It is located near a Mall for shopping and other resturants within walking distance. Would stay there again if ever in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

The thing I loved most about this hotel was the comfortable bedding, I slept so well every night, which is of great importance to me when I travel for work. The staff was responsive to all requests and very polite. The concierge lounge was kept well stocked. The hotel is clean and is in a great location. I think for its size it could use more cardio machines in the work out room but I was able to keep up my fitness routine. I did not explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Taguig City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

You won't see coffee mugs in their hotel rooms, instead, they have coffee cups that are good to go after a minute or two of brewing the coffee packets. There's also the market place cafe at the ground floor where they serve Starbucks coffee and pastries.

Stayed in the hotel for a week during a snow storm and was almost fully dependent on room service for dinner. Room service is pretty quick for a hotel.

Also ideal for long staying guests as they have washer and dryer facilities at the basement so you save on laundry costs. Location is also ideal, as it is just across the Stamford Mall.

Staff are nice and courteous though there was one time that someone actually knock despite the "privacy please" sign hanged outside, the cleaning lady even asked it we were already checking out.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

It's a short cab ride from the railway station. Reception was being refurbed so registration desk constricted. Efficient and warm desk clerks. All the staff from the doormen to breakfast staff were warm & friendly and efficient too.

The room was standard Marriott, with their comfortable bed. They still charge for internet - which is wifi.

Room service meals were excellent, with very tasty salads. Excellent.

The hotel is a short walk from the shopping centre on the opposite corner with a big bookshop and reaturants on the ground floor front entrance.

I travel a great deal for business. The service and food at this hotel is first class and way ahead of most chain hotels.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Stamford Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!