“A Great Little Mexican Hole in the Wall” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 395 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: Mexican
Hollywood, Florida
“A Great Little Mexican Hole in the Wall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

When I last visited my mother, and we were looking for some place new to eat, she mentioned Ole Mole, which I pass every time I drive up and down High Ridge Road, the main street in the area. I really never expected to find decent Mexican food in Stamford, as there never was any when I was growing up, nor is there a significant local Mexican population. But, there were reviews suggesting that it was worth checking out, and when I looked at the menu on-line, and saw that they listed Green Chili, we were on our way.

When my mother said it was tiny, "like three tables," I thought that she was being slightly sarcastic, but there were exactly three tables, and none of them large. Fortunately, the vast majority of their business it take-out--there was a non-stop stream of customers going in and out while we were there--and we were able to get one of the three tables within a short period of time.

I ordered two steak tacos on soft tortillas to start, with the Green Chili as my main course. The tacos were extremely good, with high quality, not overcooked steak inside, along with real queso fresco. Then came the really good part. Their Green Chili was unlike most others I have had, principally in Colorado, where the pork is cut into very small, less than 1/2 inch square cubes. The meat in this Chili was about 1 inch cubes of extraordinarily tender chunks of pork. The sauce was perfect as well. It came served with more soft tortillas and various condiments, and I left a happy, if somewhat overstuffed customer.

The only complaints, were a bill that was mis-written by over $10, which took time to correct, and the fact that unless there are only two of you, and you get lucky, you should plan on joining the take out crowd.

Visited June 2012

CT
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Food is authentic but the service for even take out is inconsistent. Usually wait 10 minutes just to take out black bean soup, which is worth it, but still....

Visited September 2012
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

So impressed with the food, everything was fresh and really fantastic. Absolutely no problem for vegetarians like us to find great options here, and they were happy to customize our order even further.. and all for a very reasonable price. Also - their salsa is great! We'll be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Stamford, Connecticut
“THE BEST!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We have been ordering from ole mole for about 15 years. It is a wonderful, fresh mexican restaurant/take out place. The salsa is so fresh and delicious that once you have tried theirs, i doubt you will EVER eat salsa from a jar again! We usually only take out from there instead of eating in. It is very small inside the restaurant which is fine if you are stopping for a quick bite to eat. We just prefer to eat it at home and enjoy a bottle (or two) of wine with it, Our regular orders are the chipotle chicken wings (they are not too hot or anything - just really flavorful), all of their quesidillas are wonderful, beef and pork tacos (yes, their pork tacos are amazing!), and, of course - the salsa fresca. We get a full pint for a family of four. The half pint is just never enough b/c it is so delicious. Also the chicken and shrimp fahitas - generous portions with the best guacamole ever right in the center!! Their chips are unsalted, authentic and fresh. The perfect compiment to the salsa. The prices are reasonable if you order a la carte. Sometimes when we order a quesidilla special we are suprised that is is more money, but they do come with side orders of rice and beans, so they are more of a meal. The specials that they have are always fun to check on b/c they are very different than anything else I have seen at any other mexican place. Service is ALWAYS friendly and fast. Through the years they have maybe forgotten something in our order 4(?) times. We eat their once a week on average for 15 years so that is pretty good! I have called right away when I get home to tell them that something was left out and they are soooo apologetic and of course will just reimburse us the next time. My husband and I have joked that if we ever move we will have to have ole mole sala delivered to us at any price! i must also mention that the salsa does change with the seasons b/c of the tomatoes, Just FYi - there have been times that it is amazing and times that it is only great. But it definitely does have a different taste from time to time as any fresh food would. As far as it being different than other mexican places i like the fact that everything is very light and not gobbed with heavy cheeses and sauces. They will of course make some dishes like that and make anything to your liking, but I prefer to be able to actually taste the food instead of feeling like it is being hidden in a sauce and cheese. We actually have family and friends request ole mole when they come visit. They have taken the salsa to go on their way out from visiting us. THIS IS A PLACE THAT YOU HAVE TO TRY!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belchertown, MA
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Discovered this little place on a trip home from NJ to MA, and we now make a point of stopping every time. Perfect for a quick meal, friendly staff, delicious food. Burrito Carnitas are delicious, and they will gladly spice any meal up. It's a different type of Mexican, but in a very good way. Can't go wrong.

• Visited June 2012