“A Gem for Stamford and surrounding area!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Attractions in Stamford
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Seasonal fun awaits you at the Stamford Museum & Nature Center. The 118-acre property is home to Heckscher Farm, an 18-acre working farm; Overbrook Nature Center; the Bendel Mansion, with changing exhibitions and pieces from the Museum’s permanent collection; an otter pond; Nature’s Playground; the Stamford Observatory; Animal Embassy; and more than 80 acres of hiking trails. The Wheels in the Woods Trail provides a universally accessible nature trail. Come discover, learn, and enjoy!
Stamford, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
“A Gem for Stamford and surrounding area!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I used to spend almost every weekend at the museum when I was a teenager. I even started going as a youngster, taking classes. I wish however, that membership for individuals was a little more affordable. I truly miss belonging to the museum.

New York
9 attraction reviews
“Kid,s Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Great place to take the kids.The farm is great for the youngsters. The museum and the planetarium are always fascinating.

Visited August 2012
New York City, New York
25 attraction reviews
“Bring kids often”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We go once a month. Quaint mix of (1) animals (chase the ducks!), (2) playground (super slides!) and (3) rotating random display (Lego Land was awesome! Ginger Bread House Competition was a mixed bag. Spider display was icky. Telescope display was a MUST MISS). This place is GREAT! If you're looking to burn a few hours with the kids. On a Sunday afternoon. Before you try to eat an early afternoon lunch in Scott's Corners . . .

Visited April 2013
Darien, Connecticut
33 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Nature Center for lower Fairfield County”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

A great place to take young kids for an afternoon. Not the animal selection of say the Botanical Garder, or even Beardsley in Bridgeport, but enough for the kids to get close to and there is a petting pen.

Visited May 2012
West Bloomfield, Michigan
22 attraction reviews
“Great for a weekend brunch away from NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We really liked how close this place was to NYC, where we were staying to visit family. We went for an Easter egg hunt and were shocked at how packed it was when the event opened. We were also not entirely thrilled to pay $10 per person (annual membership is $100). I was frustrated when the goody bags ran out and I felt gypped out of $20, but then we had lunch and walked around. By the afternoon, most people had left and I enjoyed the peace and quiet. We felt the Center was well-maintained and I was suprised by the unique variety of animals on the farm and the different exhibits they had. I was not happy to find only one bathroom and, with the line, ended up changing my toddler outside on the ground (grr). Had it not been a holiday weekend, I'm sure I wouldn't have a single complaint. We felt the staff were responsive to questions (even if they didn't have an answer!), we loved the playful otters and the beautiful property (waterfall, beautiful otter pond/water garden), separate huts/houses for the chicken, the parrot, snake, etc. We liked it and would go again to get away from the city for a couple of hours.

Visited March 2013