“Family Italian Restaurant, Great Food, Good Value, Surprising Decor!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Italia

Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 388 Restaurants in Stamford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Description: INTIMATE, FAMILY OWNED ITALIAN HIDEAWAY KNOWN FOR ITS REASONABLY PRICED ITALIAN AMERICAN CUISINE FAVORITES. LOCATED IN A SMALL SHOPPING CENTER VILLA ITALIA'S DINNING ATMOSPHERIC EXPERIENCE WILL MAKE YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE AND RELAXED. THE STAFF IS FRIENDLY AND ATTENTIVE. THE SEAFOOD IS FLAVORFUL AND FRESH. THE WINE SELECTION IS AMPLE AND A BAR ALSO OFFERS BEER AND SPIRITS. DESSERT RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD HAVE TO BE THE HOME MADE TIRAMISU. THE RESTAURANT OFFERS A SMALL OUTDOOR SEATING AREA EQUIPPED WITH A HEATING LAMP TO INSURE A COMFORTABLE TEMPERATURE ON CHILLY DAYS. WEDNESDAY THERE IS SOULFUL LIVE MUSIC TO HELP YOU GET ON WITH THE REST OF THE WEEK.CONVENIENTLY VILLA ITALIA OFFERS ONLINE ORDERING, FAX, TAKE OUT AND DELIVERY. THE ESTABLISHMENT ALSO OFFERS GENEROUS PARKING, WIFI AND CATERING SERVICES.COME AND VISIT US AND TELL EVERYONE WHAT YOU THINK, WE SURE YOU WILL ENJOY IT. BUON APPETITO!
Connecticut
“Family Italian Restaurant, Great Food, Good Value, Surprising Decor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I and four friends just had a lovely meal here. The food is really extremely good, fresh ingredients, well-prepared and well presented. It was as good as most food I have had at Italian restaurants but there have been a few establishments where thd food was superior (e.g. Patsy's in New York City) but I hasten to add that they were also markedly more expensive; I also add that this is why I have given a four-star rating and not a five. The bread selection is fresh and served warm. I had the Caesar salad with grilled shrimp, the shrimp were fresh, charcoal grilled just right and truly delicious. The sole was fresh and flaky in a light cream sauce. Others in my party had the Lasagna and the specials for the night and everyone was very pleased with their food. One of the specials was Pappardelle with shrimp and Brie which my wife had and pronounced 'excellent'. I had the creme brulee for dessert and it was a generous portion and quite good, among the best I have had.

This is a small resaurant in a mini-shopping mall in Stamford. Do not let the location give you pause. When you get inside it is warm and inviting, well-decorated and a classic family-oriented, cheerful, white-tablecloth family Italian restaurant. The wait staff were excellent. The noise level is fairly low. The other guests were couples, families, groups of friends and all were clearly enjoying themselves. It was about 300 for six people including cocktails and wine but I assure you it was worth it and this is in line with prices at comparable restaurants in the environs. This is one of those neighborhood gems that the 'locals' know about and routinely go to.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Little known Italian gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I got the special, it was tortellini (cheese I believe) in a bolognese sauce. There was a little cream in the sauce and it definitely wasn't great for my waistline, but it was delicious! Portion was large without being out of control. My boyfriend got the penne with broccoli rabe and sausage and it was simple but great, just what you would want from the dish. As an appetizer we shared the stuffed clams. They may be the best stuffed clams I have ever had - full of flavor, lots of clam meat and a great sauce. My boyfriend also got a small gorganzola salad to start and it was great, but their dressing wasn't so good - too much like typical italian dressing. Perhaps we should have ordered balsamic vinaigrette instead of the house. Overall, great place and reasonable for the quality.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bedford, NY
“Keeping the Rome Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Rome and after a couple of days off, we needed to relive the Roman experience. Ever since we were introduced to it last summer, Villa Italia has become our Italian food favorite. The restaurant is in a shopping center, but don't be put off. Once inside it is very attractive and the service is friendly and professional. But we go for the food.

I note one reviewer complained about their take-out. I don't think that experience compares to being there. The fresh rolls, warm out of the oven,, are reason enough to go. We often order fish, but the veal parm and the pastas are also delicious. Every Italian restaurant has it's own style of sauce. I like their red sauce as the taste of the tomato is not obscured by too much garlic and seasonings. Therefore, it can taste milder than most but allow other flavors to emerge.

I believe they will only take reservations for parties of 6 or more. In 6 visits we have only waited once for a table and that was briefly. Most of the regulars are local Italians looking for that authentic experience. We will often see three generations at dinner.

The food, the friendliness of the staff, the room and the reasonable prices keep us coming back.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver
“We Loved This Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Since moving away from the East Coast years ago, we have really missed the Italian family restaurants. After sailing on Long Island Sound with friends, we stopped at Villa Italia for dinner and this alone was worth the trip back East. The service was friendly and helpful, the food was outstanding and the wine (San Fabiano Chianti Classico) was incredible.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Franklin, Tennessee
“Awful Food at High Prices”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Colleagues of mine regularly order catering from Villa Italia in Stamford and I haven't liked anything I've eaten from there so far. Their pasta is bland and they regularly add ham to their pasta, even when requests have been made for the ham to be left out. Their rolls are tasteless, overbaked, and occassionally have large air bubbles inside. The dessert tray served by Villa Italia is also lacking in flavor with everything tasting manufactured rather than handmade. The only food Villa Italia makes that my colleagues love is chicken in cream sauce. I would never visit Villa Italia on my own for lunch or dinner.

Visited November 2011