“Worst hotel experience I have had.” 1 of 5 stars

Stamford Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 Summer Street, Stamford, CT 06905   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Stamford
Los Angeles
“Worst hotel experience I have had.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Room had cool air rather than heat. Took maintenance over 20 min to arrive. First thing he did was check the air filter. Just looking at it would make you sick. After the replacement was installed, there was no improvement. 15 minutes later I went with the maintenance man to check out a second room. No heat. Again he removed the air filter and it was worse. I am talking about an inch of crud through which the air we were to breathe was going to pass. No heat. We ended up getting moved to the Holiday Inn Express next door. The fellow at the desk in the Plaza, who was glued to a TV, was a dolt. The one at the Holiday Inn tried but was abrasive. An hour and a half after arriving we got settled into our third room. What do you think we received for our trouble? Not even an apology. Avoid this place like the proverbial plague, unless you like breathing air that has passed through filters that haven't been changed in years, if ever. I am calling the CT Dept of Health on Monday. A nightmare!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Plainview, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have stayed in the area dozens of times, but this was my first time at the Stamford Plaza. The room was the nicest of any hotel in Stamford/Greenwich (compared to the Hilton, Marriott, and Hyatt). It was enormous, had a sensational bed, wonderful TV with loads of channels, and a sleek bathroom with loads of towels. The Asian-inspired decor in the rooms and hallways is really chic, and everything was spotless. They gave me a king-size bed, rather than punishing me for using Priceline by giving me twin beds (like the Hilton did two nights ago). I can't comment on the breakfast because I didn't partake, but I do see what the other reviewers mean about the lobby: it looks like several hotels smushed their lobbies together, mismatched decor and big enough for reception for a thousand people, although there wasn't a soul there on a weekday afternoon. So that was a bit odd, but really why care about that when everything is clean, the rooms are fantastic, the parking is cheap and convenient, and the price is so reasonable? N.B. the person who checked me in was perfectly friendly and welcoming, and they even have complimentary lemonade in a glass dispenser at the front desk - nice touch!

Room Tip: The property is enormous and the rooms form a gigantic square around the atrium lobby. My room was...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
AmitRangi, Director of Operations at Stamford Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear shell202020,

We are excited to hear that you liked our newly renovated guestrooms & its decor. We are in process of renovating lobby & meeting space. Let me assure you that it's going to be equally remarkable as our guest rooms are right now.

Once again we appreciate your business & patience while we are still working on enchasing our product. Please do visit us in near future to experience the whole new hotel.

Warm Regards,

Amit Rangi
Director of Operations
Tel: (203) 359-1300
Greenwich, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here recently on business. Let me start with the good news. They have a shuttle to and from the Stamford train station which is a great feature. Sometimes you have to wait 30 minutes or more to be picked up at the end of the day, but still it's free if you're trying to keep to a budget. The other plus, it seems the rooms have been renovated, so mine was modern looking and clean.

Oh, one more good thing, there are a few sparse restaurant options within walking distance in either way. A nice little Asian place called Little Buddha and in the other direction a good coal fired pizza place, a Mediterranean restaurant and a big diner with a huge menu. You'll want to walk elsewhere as the restaurant on site looks uninviting and the menu is sparse.

The help at the front desk is poorly trained and not overly courteous. Felt like I was at a Denny's vs. a three or four star hotel.

The interior lobby is very tired and old looking. Feel like you're in the 70s. The elevators have the usual marketing materials posted inside, except at this "Plaza" the brochures are scotch taped to the walls.

There is a sign out front that says this is a future Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza site. I'd wait for that day to come before I stayed here.

Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The breakfast was the worst that I have ever seen in a hotel! All that was on offer was a pot of coffee (and this was empty on one day), a pot of juice, and a basket of plasticky pastries in cellophane wrappers. And this was laughingly called a "continental breakfast". On top of that, this was served on a small table in the lobby, where we were expected to eat (or leave, presumably). I ate my breakfast elsewhere.

The gym equipment was pretty tired, and two machines had already been retired to the hallway, awaiting removal. The sauna and steam room were cold.

Room Tip: Try the Marriott Downtown, or the Zero Degrees hotel.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place had an interior courtyard. it had banners stating that it was turning into a Crowne Plaza but no date. The rooms were very nice as was the overall condition of the hotel. I did notice that the lighting in the indoor courtyard was industrial-like. I found it unappealing to go to the hotel bar. Location is a bit of a ways from downtown but it is in a nice neighborhood with walkable restaurants.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The hotel is quite large and clearly designed with conferences in mind. The lobby is open and airy. I found the room quite comfortable. My room (4136) had a sofa, queen bed, and a desk and chair. It was one of the larger rooms I have found in my travels. It was also nicely done, with hardwood floors, nice bath amenities, etc. Overall it was truly one of the more impressive rooms I have found in my travels.

The hotel is converting to a Crowne Plaza so things like books with a list of amenities were missing in rooms. However, everything was functioning. The restaurant was fine. The food I had was quite good, though the wine and beer list were modest.

The biggest drawback to the hotel is that it is a distance from anything else, including restaurants. Generally one needs a taxi to get to anywhere else, unless the guest has driven. Taxi service in Stamford I found to be hit and miss.

In sum, a lovely room in a lovely building. Nice amenities, e.g., pool, fitness center. A bit inconvenient for getting around to restaurants, meetings and the like, though with some planning even that is a minor problem. I would happily return.

Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is the worst hotel in Stamford.
The adventure begins with an indifferent set of staff at reception. Well that is fine I am not bothered, however it does bother me that there is no one to take your bags upstairs even if you have a family and loads of bagage. There is also noone to get you a cab in the morning.
The hotel is arranged around a central courtyard from which it is clear that the courtyard was initially outside and was later covered over with a metal roof. The business center is a 10ft by 10ft room and there is no room service just a restaurant serving sub standard food. For around 200bucks all in you get no fridge but a reasonably sized room with good tv (very good to see HBO and all the extra HBO channels also).
However the nightmare is the bathroom. Initially it seemed clean but the sink was covered in something strange. Then however i noticed that the sink filled with brown liquid every time the toilet was flushed - clearly something wrong here. It was very disgusting
Overall other than the TV on offer, some helpful general staff, and pretty good free internet, this was a disaster of a hotel and I hated it.
Sorry I should say that the fitness center and pool are apparently very good but i didnt experience them so my rating for them is based on hearsay from other guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Stamford Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!