“Nice hotel but in transition” 4 of 5 stars

Stamford Plaza Hotel and Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 Summer Street, Stamford, CT 06905   |
Ranked #10 of 14 hotels in Stamford
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice hotel but in transition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place had an interior courtyard. it had banners stating that it was turning into a Crowne Plaza but no date. The rooms were very nice as was the overall condition of the hotel. I did notice that the lighting in the indoor courtyard was industrial-like. I found it unappealing to go to the hotel bar. Location is a bit of a ways from downtown but it is in a nice neighborhood with walkable restaurants.

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The hotel is quite large and clearly designed with conferences in mind. The lobby is open and airy. I found the room quite comfortable. My room (4136) had a sofa, queen bed, and a desk and chair. It was one of the larger rooms I have found in my travels. It was also nicely done, with hardwood floors, nice bath amenities, etc. Overall it was truly one of the more impressive rooms I have found in my travels.

The hotel is converting to a Crowne Plaza so things like books with a list of amenities were missing in rooms. However, everything was functioning. The restaurant was fine. The food I had was quite good, though the wine and beer list were modest.

The biggest drawback to the hotel is that it is a distance from anything else, including restaurants. Generally one needs a taxi to get to anywhere else, unless the guest has driven. Taxi service in Stamford I found to be hit and miss.

In sum, a lovely room in a lovely building. Nice amenities, e.g., pool, fitness center. A bit inconvenient for getting around to restaurants, meetings and the like, though with some planning even that is a minor problem. I would happily return.

Hong Kong
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is the worst hotel in Stamford.
The adventure begins with an indifferent set of staff at reception. Well that is fine I am not bothered, however it does bother me that there is no one to take your bags upstairs even if you have a family and loads of bagage. There is also noone to get you a cab in the morning.
The hotel is arranged around a central courtyard from which it is clear that the courtyard was initially outside and was later covered over with a metal roof. The business center is a 10ft by 10ft room and there is no room service just a restaurant serving sub standard food. For around 200bucks all in you get no fridge but a reasonably sized room with good tv (very good to see HBO and all the extra HBO channels also).
However the nightmare is the bathroom. Initially it seemed clean but the sink was covered in something strange. Then however i noticed that the sink filled with brown liquid every time the toilet was flushed - clearly something wrong here. It was very disgusting
Overall other than the TV on offer, some helpful general staff, and pretty good free internet, this was a disaster of a hotel and I hated it.
Sorry I should say that the fitness center and pool are apparently very good but i didnt experience them so my rating for them is based on hearsay from other guests.

MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here for my high school reunion. We loved the atrium/bar area for our cocktail party! Check in was handled professionally. The complimentary continental breakfast is lacking but, overall, we were very happy with this location and would stay here again.

Some would complain if they were hung with a new rope!

Room Tip: Corner suite was large, sunny, and quiet... The bed was comfortable; the bedding great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I had read the bad reviews of this hotel and believed it couldn't be as bad as I heard. Well, it's not great. The atrium is so expansive it reminds me of a convention floor - except this one has no people. It's this vast wasteland with a scattering of empty chairs and sofas and smack in the middle is a huge white painted gazebo. This couldn't be less inviting. The people at the front desk for the most part are nice. The exception was one woman on the evening shift who had attitude and decided to put on lip gloss while talking to me about a problem. The continental breakfast is not worth eating. It's basically coffee, juice and packaged danishes that are just sugar and fat laden and nothing else. The first room I checked into had a rug that was soaking wet. When I complained, they didn't seem to believe me. So they sent housekeeping up to my room and that person verified that, yes, the rug was wet. They explained that they are having problems with construction -- as you've probably read, this hotel is in the process (a long one, at that) of becoming a Crowne Plaza -- and water is somehow rising up through the floor from the pipes! The next room I checked into was good: it was large, simply decorated with a comfortable couch, a desk, large plasma TV, a powerful shower, and free WiFi. Ask for a room on the 5th floor that doesn't face a building -- those have the most light. But the only good thing about this hotel is the free shuttle that lets you get away from the hotel during the day if you have work to do and are tired of sitting in your room. By the way, the hotel is no where near downtown Stamford. Aside from all of this, what I find most surprising is that with all the bad reviews, you'd think someone in management would respond and comment here. That's what the Hilton did when they had customer complaints. Wish I stayed there. (You can see my review of the Hilton her on TripAdvisor.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Quick synopsis - enter into a massive atrium, it's a bit chilly and dimly lit. Struggle to find the location of the front desk. Check-in with front desk, all business, I couldn't get a smile. Take the elevator up (signs about the hotel are taped to the walls), walk three long hallways to the room (dim and cold, but nice new carpeting)...the place seemed empty. The room was very nice, newer furniture, lighting and bathroom (but half the room had fake wood floors)...A dip in the pool was fine (although doors to the fitness center were broken). The complimentary continental breakfast was among the weakest I've ever had (plastic wrapped muffins, danishes, oranges, apples, oj, cranberry juice and coffee) with one table for guests or the choice of sitting at other tables and chairs scattered around the lobby. Would I recommend? It's fine for a business traveler if you can get it cheap, otherwise there are better places in the Stamford/Greenwich area...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Checking in was no problem. It was when I went to parking lot. I have a full sized SUV. It has been in this garage many time. They have a height gauge, and it rubbed against the luggage rack on my SUV all the way into the garage.
Next i had a long way to walk to the room. I lookled for the room service menu. We gave up room service was the answer I got from the desk when I called. I asked her for a phone book for restaurants in the area. We don't have phone books, she said. I asked how do I find out.how to get an restaurant that delivers. We have a list at the desk was the answer.. Then we had an argument whether they would have someone to bring it to room. They finally agreed.

Then I ordered from a local restaurant that was so much more expensive than I thought it. But I was hungry and there were no menus.Since I had ordered 2 diet cokes, I noticed that the ice machine was 4 doors down. I went to the machine and it didn't work. Since I have emphysema, I didn't want to walk all over this huge hotel to find an ice mahine, I called the overly friendly front desk clerk and he said we don't deliver ice. I asked for the manager and after 10 minutes of waiting, the restaurant manager picked up the phone and nicely agreed to deliver a bucket of ice

The maids didn't leave a bath mat so I had to use a towel. The faucet had water spewing all over the counter, so there went another towel. The clock radio was so weird I could change the alarm when it woke me up at 2:30 am. I was very happy when I checked out.

Room Tip: Close to elevators
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AmitRangi, Director of Operations at Stamford Plaza Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear joelay,

Thank you for your feedback. First, let me apologize that your stay was not satisfactory, we are still in renovation phase & strive to deliver the focused & consistent service. What you experienced was definitely not normal. We take every word from your feedback very seriously to rectify any potential guest service related issues. Please do visit us next year after renovation to experience new & revived the place to meet.

Best Regards,

Amit Rangi
Director of Operations
Tel: (203) 359-1300

Been to Stamford Plaza Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!