“Excellant Italian food full if local people!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Whippany, New Jersey
“Excellant Italian food full if local people!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011 via mobile

An excellent gem of a restaurant with awesome food and a great atmosphere. Everything we had was great. Especially loves the clams casino and the lasagna.

90% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Traditional Italian Food in Stamford, CT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I had read some reviews of Cafe Sylvium online and they were all pretty positive. So, after we drove up to Stamford on Friday night, I checked their website and was disappointed to see that they don't accept reservations on Fridays or Saturdays for parties less than 2. After some discussion, we decided to take our chance that we could get a table. We got there around 9:00pm and waited for a table about 15 minutes. While waiting, I asked a friendly couple a bit about the restaurant and they had nothing but rave reviews for it, even going so far as to say it was the "best Italian food in Stamford". We were seated and ordered an appetizer of the calamari, which was fantastic! It was lightly-breaded and the breading had an amazing taste that just makes a great start to dinner. For entrees, we ordered the cheese ravioli and the red snapper (onions, olives, capers, basil & marinara sauce). The ravioli was definitely handmade. The pasta had a texture that only comes with it being freshly handmade. The red snapper was very unique! It had a lot of flavor and the fish itself was large portioned and delicious. It came with a side of broccoli rabe and sliced potatoes. We got a glass of the house red and white wines, which paired very well with the entrees. Finally, we wrapped up the evening with the "Coppa Profiterol" - vanilla and chocolate ice cream with vanilla ice cream-filled cream puffs - and a lemon cream pie, I believe, which doesn't seem to appear on their website's desserts menu. The Coppa Profiterol was absolutely fabulous. The ice cream was better than your garden variety ice cream and the cream puffs were an excellent pair with it. The lemon cream pie was also amazing, as it was topped with pine nuts - a favorite of mine. All in all, this restaurant was a top-notch food experience and reasonably-priced, as well. It's not cheap, but certainly not a break-the-bank trip. I would venture to say that, whatever you end up paying, it was well worth it.

• Visited October 2011
nyc
“Great Wine List”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Very nice wine list at great prices!! Food is average to above average at a good price.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Stamford, Connecticut
“Excellent quality overall.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Food, preparation,service , quality and pricing are very good.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Since I found it 4 years ago, I don't eat Italian Anywhere Else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I moved to Stamford about 7 years ago. I learned the area pretty much by trial an error. I visited all the usuals; eclisse, il falco, villa italia, emme of capri etc etc. I'm Italian and know my way around a kitchen and stuff growing up in NYC and then NJ. I had enjoyed my meals reasonably in the area but didn't find that go to Italian place.

Then my friend from Greenwich told me about Cafe Sylvium. (with her being Italian I knew it was a legit recommendation) She told me "those places are not real italian, Cafe Sylvium is real italian food" and yeah she's right. It's not new age, modern or fancy and there is no fusion. This is a down home, old fashioned Italian place. There are many joints out there serving the standard Italian fare, but none of them do it quite like this place, at least in CT.

As another reviewer mentioned the owners and family actually work at the place and do the cooking. It's the best Italian food you can get in Fairfield County. If you like Pasquale's in port chester, you'll love this place. If you think Eclisse in Stamford is legit, than you really need to make a visit to cafe. Value and portion size is outstanding as well.

• Visited August 2011