“The only place worth going in Stafford!” 5 of 5 stars

(860) 684-9000
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Eclectic
Description: "Owner of Greek origin; menu ranges from burgers to Italian to Greek specials on Thursday night".
“The only place worth going in Stafford!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My family and I went here for the first time this past Saturday night (10/20/12) after having driven by it constantly since it first opened. I've lived in Stafford Springs for the last three years and all I can say is its about time this place got a restaurant worth going to! I'm so tired of driving to Manchester, Vernon, Enfield or even Springfield to go out to dinner! The only options out here are Chinese food, 50 pizza joints or a gross Italian restaurant that shall remain nameless that is located NEAR Basil's that I tried twice thinking the first time was a fluke......but it wasn't. Basil's came highly recommended from three completely different people that didn't even know each other, so we figured we'd try it out. We went around 6 pm on Saturday night, and it was definitely busy, but we were seated extremely fast. The owner was up front and seemed very personable.
Our waitress, whose name I regrettably do not remember (but she was a younger girl, such a sweetie!) was great and very attentive, making sure our drinks were always full since the cups are very small.
And now the food...ahhhh the food.... I regret that I did not have a chance to try any of the wings or the fried mozzarella which are my favorite appetizers to order when we go out, but the bread that came out was made fresh and FABULOUS! My husband had the seafood bisque and my son tried the French onion soup. Hubby said bisque was amazing, my son said French onion was good, but after about half, he kind of went off of it, but for the record I will state that he had never had (or heard of) French onion soup before so he has nothing to base an opinion on. My son and I both ordered the New York Strip which was cooked to perfection, very juicy and seasoned well. The fries I had were good, and my son enjoyed his mashed potatoes. My husband had a burger that was huge and on a freshly made roll, which looked amazing. According to him it was delicious!
Needless to say, we will definitely be back and look forward to making Basil's a regular dining out spot for us! It will be a very nice change to FINALLY have a decent place to eat within about five minutes from our home. My only regret is that we didn't have the idea to try Basil's much MUCH sooner than we did!!!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Willington, CT, USA
“Basils in Stafford Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have been here twice. I like the food a lot.
Place can be very crowded;
they dont take reservations;
the wait can be long.

Portions are generous; wait crew are friendly.
Italian style food very flavorfully and thoughtfully prepared.
Entrees I have had have not disappointed.
Decor is light and open.

I would go more often, but if the timing is not right, the wait can be just too long and cramped at the door.

The bar is not real large and once the seating at it is full the space does not accommodate too many people standing near by so waiting at the bar can cram you in the way of traffic.

Not too sure why they don't try taking reservations.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Somers, Connecticut
“My favorite restaurant in Stafford”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Delicious food, excellent service, friendly staff, good value for the money. Eggplant fries are delicious, I often have the side of meatball parm. as a meal. Entrees are all very large portions, you will certainly get a doggy bag if you choose one. Rena is our favorite waitress.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Staffordville, Connecticut
“Good food, a bit pricey so it's an occasional treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The veal marsala is really good. The eggplant fries are divine. The bar is elegant and all the staff are very friendly. Even my fussy father liked the food. The owner is a very nice man, we'll keep going back.

Visited June 2012
“great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I want you with my family a couple of weeks ago and we had a great meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere