“A Wonderful Upscale Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   275 Old Post Road, Southport, CT 06890   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Southport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stafford, Virginia, United States
“A Wonderful Upscale Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Delamar in Southport for a weekend visiting family in July and it was a wonderful experience. All accommodations were definitely on a par with some of the best 5 diamond hotels we've visited. Spacious facilities, attentive service, great food and drink -- everything was top notch. The restaurant is excellent, valet parking -- everything designed to make the guest feel comfortable and well cared for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Leonard B, Front Office Manager at Delamar Southport, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of Delamar Southport. On behalf of my team and I, it was a pleasure providing you an enjoyable stay. We take great pride in offering upscale service and amenities during every facet of your stay and creating such a memorable guest experience. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmly,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was attending a wedding in Westport CT and a friend advised that I stay at the Delamar in Southport. I live in London and I had flown in from our house in Umbria in Italy - so I was pretty wiped out and jet lagged. The welcome couldn't have been any warmer from the receptionist to the management. I know good hotels and I am very critical, but the Delamar is exceptional. Would I stay again? At a drop of a hat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the kind review of Delamar Southport. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed all our hotel had to offer after such a long travel day, and that our warm and friendly staff provided the perfect stay to exceed your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Had been visiting colleges with my daughter and couldn't find a hotel chose to Fairfield university Dan and Zoe at front desk very welcoming and bellhop / valet very kind . we were there less than 12 hours but hope to return . daughter took advantage of the bikes and breakfast was delicious thank you for a well rested night after a long day driving and a stressful day college shopping

• Stayed July 2013
Leonard B, Front Office Manager at Delamar Southport, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Delamar Southport. I'm pleased you found us after a long day of college tours, and were able to take advantage of our guest bikes for a ride around the village of Southport. I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! I will be sure to share your feedback with Dan and Zoe. We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer visit soon.

Warm Regards,

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a very nice boutique hotel with a convenient location just off I-95 in Fairfield, CT. Facilities and staff are great. We have stayed here twice. First time the room was ,overly and peaceful. Seco dime, we were almost within touching distance of I-95. We could see cars and trucks zooming by outside our window, and the traffic noise was intense.

Great breakfast included. Artisan restaurant is adjacent and top notch.

Bottom line....stay here, but request a room on the side of the hotel away from I-95. Wish we had done that the second time, but we didn't know. First stay was great.

Room Tip: Request a room on the side of the hotel AWAY from I-95!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of our Delamar Southport. It was a pleasure to welcome you back for a second visit. I am pleased to hear that Artisan offered an enjoyable dining experience during your stay. I'm sorry to hear your accommodation did not exceed your expectations. Be sure to request a beautiful room or suite that overlooks the courtyard in the future, as these may be more to your liking. Thank you again for staying with us, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had great expectations about our stay from reading online and looking at their website but arrived in 99 degree weather to be met by an unsmiling receptionist who processed papers and took a xerox of our Visa card (what was that all about?) without even welcoming us. We went to the room to find the AC off and the temp 82, and a moldy, closed-up smell in the room with dust layered on the desk and tables. I couldn't get the AC to come back on and went back to the front desk. The receptionist walked back to the room and was able to reboot the system but the airflow was minimal. She said she'd send down a maintenance man before seeing about changing our room (she had already told us they were full up so wasn't sure how that would happen). The maintenance man came, got a ladder and disappeared up into the bathroom ceiling emerging with a AC filter filled with dust and gunk an inch thick. WIth the new filter, we did have a good breeze and the room cooled down nicely. Clearly no-one preps the rooms before guests arrive and clearly they're not so busy that all rooms are regularly used. We heard the maintenance man being told to report to the Presidential Suite where 6 of the 10 light bulbs on the dining room chandelier were out---again rather made us think they are not regularly busy and do not have regular inspections of the rooms. Upon check-in we had asked after a morning paper (it says in their literature one is provided) and early morning coffee and tea: the receptionist said a paper would be sent to the room, that coffee would be on the table by the receptionist desk but tea seemed to stump her...she finally said we could ask the morning person for the key and way to the Spa, and if we looked around in there we could find something that heated water. We were a bit underwhelmed by the service given the restaurant is about 25 feet away. Later that afternoon another receptionist asked if we needed anything and I mentioned the morning paper..she said she'd make a note of it on the computer. And again after dinner, yet a third receptionist asked if we needed a paper and I said yes..and she said again she'd make a note of it on the computer (what happened to the other note I don't know!). Much oddity the next morning in that there was no paper. My wife did find the coffee and the person at the desk then offered to get her hot water right away without making her search through the Spa, however there was only powdered milk substitute, no milk or cream. Upon being asked, the employee then did go into the restaurant and bring out some actual milk (when was the last time in what was supposed to be an elegant hotel you had powdered milk?) After breakfast we were told the papers were late and that we'd get one in our room later. We returned around 2.30p that day...99+ outside again and we were soaking wet only to find the room had not yet been cleaned. I asked at the desk (yet another employee there) and was told someone would be "right" down. After 25 minutes of waiting to shower and change, I went back to the desk. Yet another person there (!) was talking with a housekeeper (who was not apparently cleaning anything at the time) and I was told they had had a lot of check-outs that morning--they seemed to think the room not being ready wasn't a problem and of course being a change in staffing (again) did not know we had been told someone would be down "right" away. I replied it was the manager's job to staff appropriately and I'm sure they knew several days in advance the number of checkouts. I also asked after the newspaper and was told simply "it had never arrived". Mind you, since 2 1/2 blocks one way in Southport is the drug store/pharmacy and about five blocks on the Post Road the other way is a large Walgreen's, it didn't seem the employees were too concerned about missing papers (these are in printed materials as being there for all guests so I didn't care for the attitude I got back that this was "my" problem..and we know the place was full-up per what they told us so there was certainly no management action on providing what was stated) or take an active role in correcting the problem. One employee did offer to make a special run for a paper the next morning..really acting as tho' she was making a big exception for me (which I suppose from her point of view she was) and I did take her up on that (it not occurring to anyone to have done that already that morning). Overall, the constant change of employees on the desk (which by the way is just a one-seat seated desk some 2.5 feet wide, thus separating you quite a lot from the employee), the poor communication from one employee to another, the poor judgment on the management part of staffing housekeeping on a busy day, and our perception that their pro-active delivery of service was widely lacking certainly colored our stay there as even trivial issues like the paper or milk were problematic. The room itself was ok...small bathroom with little counter space and an odd, lighted vanity mirror on the all by the sink...to use the light on the mirror you had to take the coiled electrical cord (left danging by the toilet) and pull it diagonally across the toilet to an outlet on the opposite wall about 18 inches away (rather like running a hypotenuse for a right triangle). Much was made in the literature about the "Spa" but not much said while we were there (other than we could go there for hot water)..I gather it was simply a room they had set aside to be used by outside employees who give massages there. On checkout there was a $15 service charge per night on the bill: we were told this was a "charge we make for service each day of your stay" when we asked...too tired of the Receptionists' attitude to question it..maybe it was for the self-parking?

While we were certainly not impressed by the dark-uniformed bland parade of employees who worked the Reception desk, I would definitely want to commend the afternoon bellboy who is doing a hotel course of studies (I think at Cornell): he was the ONLY employee with a smile, a very positive upbeat can-do attitude, was pro-active about what we might need or want to do, and who routinely thanked us for being guests during our two-night stay. Perhaps he could take the Receptionist desk regularly for the benefits a single-point-of-contact could provide to guests, and all the other people we saw could help Housekeeping and Maintenance, or work on prepping rooms before guests' arrival? He is certainly someone guests can connect with and think back on when positing another, future, stay.

We did take breakfast at the hotel's restaurant...it is certainly not the most lavish buffet (even a full in-city Marriott has more, let alone what a Fairmont or Intercontinental offers and it didn't have any "amazing" baked offerings you might see in a typical boutique breakfast) but it was ok and the service pleasant.

The hotel does have an excellent dinner restaurant (separate review) with a bar, and across the street is a bar with a good restaurant (also separate review). The little town of Southport is a short walk away.

Overall the hotel has some serious management issues if it's to be seen as a boutique hotel of some merit---I think they are myopic about modern hotel standards if they think they deliver good service, but as the title of this review indicates, there is little in the neighborhood to compete except a problematic old motor inn on the Post Road, so there is little to challenge them on their offering.

Room Tip: Rooms facing towards the back (the patio, the dining room) are going to be much quieter than the roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mariya S, General Manager at Delamar Southport, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing the feedback of your stay with us. We greatly appreciate you bring this matters to our attention. We apologize for not getting to experience the best our property has to offer. If you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 203-307-4213. I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Kind Regards, Mariya Sytnyk Property Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a great property to an offsite meeting. They have a very original meeting space outside of the building which is enclosed that is used as a party room or for corporate events which is what suited my need. They have a beautiful large room inside but we are a small group so the outside room was smaller and more of a novelty for a meeting space.

The property is great and so are the rooms. The service was excellent. They could not have been more accomodating! It's obvious that they care about their guests.

Artisanal is a great restaurant. The decor is beautiful inside but in the summer it was great to dine outside. We also enjoyed their bar area.

Aside from going there for a corporate retreat I would definitely go back with my husband for a weekend getaway from the city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mariya S, General Manager at Delamar Southport, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review. We are pleased to hear that your had Excellent Experience while hosting your corporate event at the Delamar Southport. I am delighted to hear you were well taken care of by our staff and I will pass along your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back for a weekend getaway from the city. Warmest Regards, Mariya Sytnyk Property Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our second stay at the Delamar Southport and once again we had a wonderful experience. The hotel is tastefully decorated, the bed is extremely comfortable, and the room spotlessly clean. The staff is very warm and accommodating! The breakfast buffet is lovely and the Artisan restaurant on the premises is excellent as well. We expect to return to the area in the fall and will definitely stay there when we do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your great review. We are pleased you had another wonderful experience at the Delamar Southport. I have passed along your kind comments to my team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the fall. Warmest Regards, Mariya Sytnyk Property Manager.

Been to Delamar Southport? Share your experiences!