“Great Beds” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Benicia, CA
“Great Beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

We have stayed here twice this year while visiting family. I love the beds and the bedding. Very luxurious. The rooms are a nice size. The bathroom vanities are way too small. We ate in the restaurant and the food was surprisingly good and a good value for the dinner. The service, however, in the restaurant was awful. We were the only ones in the place and the waitress was very distracted. On our previous visit, check in was a bit stressful. It took 4 rooms for us to get one. First one was occupied, 2nd one was not made up. Then we were offered a suite that had no bathroom mirror. Finally, another suite was attained and it was fine. On a whole it is a nice hotel to stay in.

• Liked — the bed and bedding
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Oh my, who would have expected this hotel to be so good!? I have stayed in lots of Marriots, Hyatts, Radissons etc. and this hotel was heads above any I have stayed in. It is clean, quiet (even has a "quiet" section of the hotel) and the service was helpful. I stayed here for only one night, but it was great. I was traveling with my daughter looking at colleges and we were there on the hottest day of the summer. The air conditioner worked perfectly and the linens, the pillows, the bathroom were all new and clean.
The only possible reason not to give this hotel a perfect score is I was woken up very early because a dump truck and earth-mover were doing some work (construction) next door. They were extremely loud and neither one of us could get back to sleep. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2007
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

My stay at this hotel was absolutely fantastic. The staff the front desk were very friendly. The room was clean and very comfortable. (My Air Conditioning worked fine).

The fitness room was above average, they had 10, 15, 20, 30 and 40 pound free weights (most hotels I stay at have no free weights, so this is better than nothing). They have 3 treadmills in good condition, and an univeral-gym. I work out regularly, and was able to do decent work outs, 2 nights in a row.

The food was excellent, I normally try different things but the apple-raisin pork chops were so good I ordered them the 2nd night as well. The breakfast buffet was limited in choice, but good food.

This is a gorgeous hotel, in an absolutely beautiful location.
The surrounding area is full of trees, and some water. Take a drive around, get lost, it's beautiful.

Next time I am in the area I am definitely staying here. I was in Bridgeport 4 months before this, and unfortunately stayed in a hotel downtown Bridgeport. It's definitely worth the ~1 hour drive to Southbury.

My only complaint - the automatic sliding door at the entrance doesn't open fast enough/all the way, I hit it twice with my suitcase dragging behind me.

• Liked — The food!
  • Disliked — Automatic Sliding door at entrance
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

Had the opportunity to stay at this hotel 2 times over New Years, and although we are late getting out our review, just wanted to agree with the other posters that this hotel was tops! Out in what seems to be the middle of nowhere, we stopped on a very cold and windy late December evening on our way up to Boston and was so charmed by the nice staff and cozy room that we returned again for another night on our way back down from Boston.
Room was immaculate with new carpet, fabulous beds with euro-bedding and nice amenities in bathroom. The room was not big, but was oh so cozy and comfortable. Loved the sleep CD, linen spray and sleep mask layed out on the bed.
We did use the big indoor pool and sauna. Nice. We did not use the meal service, but went out to a small recommended pick-up deli at the bottom of the hill , I think called Patty's Pantry ( or something like that) which made a delicious chicken cordon bleu sandwich, and had great desserts and really wonderful bagels in the a.m. The deli looks ho-hum, but the place is popping and the food is good.
We stay in hotels approx 7-10 nights a month and we are very picky about cleanliness and this Crowne Plaza was one of the nicest and cleanest places we have been to. We loved it! We had a winter weekend rate of about $80. Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Cleanliness!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Washington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

so surprised! in the middle of nowhere! nice new lobby that was pleasant. our room (192) had these really high ceilings with drapes that matched. gave the place a dramatic feel. bed very comfy. restaurant physical space drab and uninviting, so ate at the bar two nights. food was terrific. big portions, and very tasty! excellent service.

Stayed May 2007
haddonfield nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

Hotel was very good value for the money. Food and service was excellent. For a leaf peeping trip in mid fall, it was in a near perfect location, and a lot better deal than some of the other nearby alternatives. The whirlpool/hottub was perfect for steaming out the kinks from walking around gawking all day.

• Liked — The bed.
  • Disliked — Finding it.
  • Tips/Secrets — Animal friendly if you want to take fido out for a walk in one of the state parks nearby.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2006

I stayed at this lovely hotel for a week and it far exceeded my expectations. I felt at home from the moment I set foot into this charming hotel. I stayed in a newly renovated room that made me feel at peace and I was able to complete all of my work comfortably in the room. The restaurant and bar offer a great menu with many choices and the staff is excellent. I travel to this area frequently and this is by far the best choice in the area. In all of my business travels this is my favorite hotel!!!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy!!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crowne Plaza Southbury? Share your experiences!