“Great Hideaway with the kids” 5 of 5 stars

Heritage Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   522 Heritage Rd, Southbury, CT 06488   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
Long Island
“Great Hideaway with the kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

We just had the greatest weekend getaway in years. The hotel staff was extremely attentive and courteous. Very clean pool, gym and lounge areas, plus all was included in the low price...Raquetball, Swimming, Hot tub, gym with excellent equipment, Ping Pong, Billiards,Internet access, ...and there were fresh baked cookies in the lobby. We had a very nice Sunday Brunch at a very reasonable price, and the kids ate free. I highly recommend this hotel, especially with active kids.

• Liked — New and clean beds and bathrooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Whitehorse, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

I stayed at the Heritage Hotel while on business in Southbury, and though my thoughts on the hotel are not all positive, I would stay here again if I had to return to this town in Connecticut.

The hotel is situated off of the main strip and the only things around are a bank, Friendly's restaurant and an affiliated golf course. The lobby looks to have been recently renovated, but the elevators are ancient and the upper floors are a bit dated. The staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the front desk and kind doorman who was only periodically there.

The rooms are pretty standard, but a bit cramped. The closet is oddly located at the far end of a room wedged next to the bed. There are two sinks, one in the tiny bathroom and the other just outside. The first one was completely useless since I never closed the door to the bathroom... there just wasn't enough room! The shower felt a bit grimey and on my last day there the sliding shower door broke off. I was pleasantly surprised though that they supplied Bath & Body Works soaps, shampoos and lotions, and one set for each sink!

My greatest complaint about this hotel is the poor soundproofing in the rooms. At first I thought the people in the room above me were 'getting it on', but the creaking floors never stopped. Any single step they took, I could hear the floorboards give. I heard other guests complain about it to the front desk too, and I'm sure they get complaints every week. Next time I will definitely ask to have a room on the top floor. Luckily I carry ear plugs with me when I travel and was able to get a solid couple of hours of sleep each night.

The breakfast that was included with my room was pretty good. It was in the hotel restaurant, which always seemed to have more staff on hand than actual patrons. There is a decent selection for breakfast and it always looked and tasted fresh. The hotel also offers free internet in each room, which was very easy to connect to.

Overall, it was a decent stay considering the price I paid, but I wouldn't stay here at my leisure.

• Liked — Free breakfast
  • Disliked — Creaking from above
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

I was fortunate to not have to pay for my two night stay at The Heritage because I was staying here as a member of a wedding party. The Heritage definitely says "New England". There were beautiful courtyards with mums and changing foliage. The check -in was very smooth. Even though my room was smaller than most hotel rooms, the bed was a king size and extremely comfortable with a pillow top, feather pillows, and blankets. My room looked out on one of those scenic courtyards. The bathroom was also a little tight, but the hotel provided plenty of soft towels, Bath and Bodyworks supplies, and great water pressure in the shower (no bath tub).
I spent most of my evening in one of the reception rooms on the lower level. The banquet help was very friendly and the food was excellent. After the wedding we headed up to the pub on the first floor (which was packed with a live band). The bar service was a little slow, but there were two weddings occurring at the time and only one bartender.
The morning after we went to a very well stocked brunch with again, great service. Check out went smoothly and they even brought our bags out to my car. Overall, I was 100% impressed with the service at the Heritage. If I didn't live so close, I'd stay there again!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

This was not a planned stay. We "drifted in off the highway" for a few days stay to visit. What my wife and I experienced is in sharp contrast to the visually appealing effect of this property.
The HVAC unit in the room woke us every time it cycled.
The register cover on the HVAC unit rattled, which was cured by stuffing a wad of tissues between the vent. The air handlers in the attic space are very noisy.(avoid 3rd floor suites)
Not a place for light sleepers.
The toilet ran profusely and we needed to manually seat the flapper valve at nearly every flush. The sink fixtures were loose. The shower head was nasty. The RJ-45 ethernet jack was dead.
Stayed at a different place at the next exit for the remaining few days for cheaper and with no issues.
No concern or appologies from staff at check-out time.
For $155.00 a night, we weren't terribly impressed.
Jim & Lori Warner
Illinois

• Liked — Location to destination.
  • Disliked — Noisy environment for sleepers.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

We just enjoyed a family reunion of 40 people, including some very young kids. It was an amazing weekend, and in very good part, thanks to the staff at the Heritage. No request went un- attended, and always so graciously and efficiently. Our rooms were fresh and new--and great beds! We did everything--golf, bocce, both swimming pools, racquetball, rented bikes, hiked the surrounding area, and in the evening we hung out in the bar and played pool. The kids loved the game room--brand new and bright and fun for them. Some worked out, others got pedicures--we really never stopped! Big breakfast was part of the B&B rate, and our special dinner was such a hit.

It was an easy 2-hour drive from the city. My husband and I have decided that for our anniversary this October, we're leaving the kids with grandma and going to the Heritage for our own romantic weekend. It will be very special!

• Liked — Bright and cheerful, well furnished and appointed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Lynbrook, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

I just got back from an overnight surprise getaway for my husband's birthday & was very happy with the choice of hotel and package. At first I was nervous because of the prior reviews & was a little hesitant. I am very glad I did not change the reservation. The staff was very accomondating, the room was clean, spacious and very nice. The dinner and breakfast was very good & the spa treatment that came with our package was wonderful. There is an indoor & outdoor pool & Jacuzzi, plus for those who like to exercise a well equipped little gym & racketball courts included in your stay. You can also get in a game of tennis if you like. You will not regret your choice if you go to the Heritage Hotel. The hotel is also situated away from the main road and next to a golf course so your stay will be peaceful. Evidently the new management is really trying to make a difference. I would definitely go back.

• Liked — All inclusive package
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Syosset, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

Just came back for a short weekend stay. Have been here on previous occassions and enjoy it more every time. Did not have dinner at the resort so I have no commnt regarding the food. Bar service was credible and not expensive. Beds were extremely compfortable. Number of TV stations available was more than adequate. They are continuosly updating the resort and we look forward to returning for a longer weekend in the near future. Try to make reservations when Willie Nininger is appearing in the louge. He is truely an entertaining personality.

• Liked — Comfort of the beds
  • Disliked — Lack of a bathtub
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!