“Attractive Property, old, noisey rooms!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Heritage Hotel to your Saves list
Heritage Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   522 Heritage Rd, Southbury, CT 06488   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Southbury
“Attractive Property, old, noisey rooms!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The property is very attractive as is the lobby and pool area.

The rooms are dated and have creaky floors that offer no sound insulation from the floor above! The air conditioning units are pre-programmed to turn completely off after a certain time of night regardless of the "manual" fan settings which means your sleep is disturbed when the whole unit decides to cycle back on again. It will run for about two minutes then turn completely off. Twenty minutes later it repeats! Very disrupting!
Beware, if you want a quiet night or allow the fan to drown out the noises from other rooms, you won't get either!

I would not return.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floors only!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Judith K, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Rudyfs2:

Thanks for your recent review. Just so you are aware, both for Air Conditioning and Heating our room fans can be set to remain on indefinitely. I am so sorry that you did not let us know you were having an issue when you were here so we could have solved your problem.

Please let me know when you plan to be in the area again. I would be delighted to make your reservation personally and insure that you receive a quiet room with a view of the river.

Judith Kalfon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel doesn't offer so much amenities but it has basic necessities. If you want to have a simple vacation with swimming pool, gym, ping pong game, racket court.... the Heritage Hotel is the place to release your kids and relax.

Dinner @ restaurant is very good and the service is very friendly. I recommend famalies who wants to escape from busy city life and spend a time in country.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Judith K, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to review your recent staiy at the Heritage Hotel. We are delighted that you found the hotel comfortable and that you enjoyed our many activities, which are available without resort fees. We certainly hope that you will join us again in the Fall or Winter when a totally different experience is available.

I have passed along your kind review to our Food and Beverage staff that you mentioned so positively. The staff at Shadrach's Pub is exceptional and I am glad you enjoyed their service.

We look forward to welcomoing you again in the near future.

Garden City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful s'mores evening! How enchanting to be greeted by a roaring firepit... starry stars... and a delish experience as the Connecticut summer winds down.

Racquetball courts, indoor/outdoor pools, mountain bike rentals (minimal fee), billards, ping pong table... and a s'mores evening... Perfect place for a family with teens. We would come back in a heartbeat!

Dear IC,

All of us at the Heritage Hotel are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your weekend with us!

We are glad that you enjoyed the many outstanding and fun things to do at the resort from ping pong to tennis. The S'mores evenings at the firepit are truly magical. Please plan to join us in the fall for leaf looking and into the winter months for a relaxing weekend.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and all of us here look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a wedding.

I would say that overall, it's a comfortable hotel with the following positives:
*Attentive front desk. They have toiletries in case you forgot anything at home (toothpaste, deoderant, etc) and are eager to help
*A cute area - indoor/outdoor pool, handball courts - There were lots of happy kids when we stayed and I think it's a good choice for families looking for a close get away
*AMAZING bartender who was willing to run to our table to bring us a drink to our table in a few minutes when they had ran out of something specific
*Functional room with TV, air, hairdryer, etc.

However, there were some sour points to our stay:
*We asked for a drink during the wedding dinner, and were told "there is a bar over there." Yes, we saw the bar. But most waiters/waitresses at other receptions have no problem doing a quick run.
*the walls are THIN. I could hear every single conversation that went on in the hallway, leaving for a poor night's sleep
*There is no light in the shower/bath tub. The halo glow from the flourescent light in the bathroom just isn't enough

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Judith K, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about the positive aspects of your recent stay at the Heritage Hotel and will certainly pass along your compliments to the Front Desk for their attentive service and our Bartender for his willingness to serve you in such a hospitable fashion.

Please let me know the next time you plan to visit so that I may make your reservation personally and insure that you are placed in a quiet wing of the hotel. It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back to the Heritage Hotel.

Fort Mill, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have stayed at the Heritage Hotel son several occassions. My company used the facilities for meetings during the 90's. This was our first stay back in about 5 years. Apparently, there is a new general manager and the operations have changed. The property looks worn and is in need of repairs. The upstairs hallways (second & third floors) were hot because the air conditioning wasn't used. We were told that the system was broken, but would be fixed. I suspect that the general manager was saving money on the utilities. Our ice machine (1 of 2) was broken the entire week. We had poor water pressure in the room and were told that this had NEVER happened before. It couldn't be fixed. In addition, we had a leak on the carpet next to the bathroom that couldn't be fixed all week. Finally, I had to fight to get the negotiated room price when I checked out after staying a week. Oh yes, weekend weddings include (loud) drunk guests who roam the hallways at 1 or 2:00pm.

One of the desk clerks admitted that the new general manager had initiated many changes which lowered the quality and experience of the stay. I suspect that the complex is suffering from a poor economy.

Sadly, I would recommend that people visiting the area stay at the Holiday Inn.

Dear Matt B:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your unsatisfactory experience at the hotel.

We always try to provide our guests with an experience that makes them want to return but in your case we were obviously unsuccessful for which I sincerely apologize. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I can address your concerns in a manner that is satisfactory to you.
We are a very guest focused organization and would appreciate the chance to make it right.

Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My daughter's wedding reception was held at the Heritage this past July and it was wonderful. The director of catering, Jennifer Giuliano and her staff saw to it that every detail from the rehearsal dinner, reception, our accommodations to the breakfast buffet were carried out with expert care. Our many out of town guests made sure to let us know how pleased they were with their Heritage experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Judith K, General Manager at Heritage Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear RoseAnne,

What a beautiful letter! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how perfect your daughters wedding was at the Heritage. It is one of our staff's great joys to make a special event even more memorable by providing excellent service and a wonderful environment for a once in a lifetime day. We were recently named one of Connecticut's Top Ten Wedding Venues and compliments like yours show why.

We are thrilled that we got every detail right from the wedding to the brunch and send our sincere wishes to your daughter for a lifetime of happiness!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I run conferences and travel a lot and stay a lot of hotels, so I have a basis for comparison. The Heritage in Southbury compares very well with not only hotels that house corporate meetings but as a resort destination. The hotes is clean, up to date and has a lot of beautiful facilities. It has a goreoug outdoor and indoor pool and a very nice indoor gymn. there are also a lot of nooks and cranies to just wander off too and sit and read a book overlooking gardens or the countryside. The rooms make you feel that you are in a class act. They are stocked with all of the emenities such as soap, shampoo, conditioners, body lotion and the staff refills it every day .I asked for more and certainly got it immediatly. There are wide televsions in the rooms as well.

What I use as a benchmark for evaluating all hotels or inns I go to is the way the staff treats its guests. For me this is the most important feature of any hotel because it measures whether a hotel cares about its guests. To this end the Heritage gets 5 stars. The front desk people were nice and always had a smile. If I needed anything from houskeeping or from any of the staff meandreing around the halls, they took care of it immediatly. I asked one staff person where I could buy a couple of bottles of water and he told me to wait a minute and brough up two bottles of spring water with the hotels logo on it and gave it to me complimentary. He did not know that I was the chairman of the convention. This says it all and I would consider not only running more conventions at this hotel but coming as a guest for a weekend getaway .

Room Tip: I would recommend a room that faces nice scenery and is large.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Elliotu:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent excellent experience as a meeting planner at the Heritage Hotel. We are delighted that you and your group found not only the facility but our staff outstanding.

We always strive to insure that our group guests receive excellent service and are delighted that you found everyone pro-actively hospitable and responsive to your needs.

We certainly hope that you and your group will return often for more exceptional meetings.

Judith G. Kalfon

Been to Heritage Hotel? Share your experiences!