“Poor Communication and Service” 1 of 5 stars

860-289-7929
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mill on the River is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“Poor Communication and Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Wanting to take my husband to this restaurant for his birthday, I called on Monday, March 3 and booked a 5:30P reservation for Saturday, March 8 for two. Normally, we prefer to go to lunch, but I was told on the phone that lunch is only served in the bar. Not wanting to listen to the noise in the bar I booked the 5:30 dinner slot in the dining room.

We arrived about 10 minutes early and were pretty happy with the look of the dining room. I gave the hostess my name and was very disappointed to hear that they didn't have the reservation name listed. I asked for the manager who came out and said he would check on it. "Justin" disappeared through the back and came out a couple minutes later with the news that he went through the phone calls and could not find a record of my call. Amazing how quickly he was able to check all those phone calls. Anyway he was nice enough and offered us a table in the bar, which pretty much defeated the whole purpose of the reservation, but by this time we were hungry and accepted. However, after 2 minutes of Led Zeppelin blasting down from overhead, we walked.

There is no excuse for losing a reservation. Simply lazy from the arrogance of being a "popular" spot. Getting stuffed into the bar is no consolation-place isn't that nice. I'm not impressed and won't call again. If you do call, make sure to get the person's name.

• Visited March 2014

South Windsor, Connecticut
“A usual go to spot...but!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

More often will meet friends in the cozy bar area with friendly and efficient bartenders and wait staff. Good happy hour prices and fresh, delicious food. HOWEVER, on the most recent visit after not being there for a few months I was disappointed when a group of us were told by management that we needed to be quiet!! Mind you, we were in a bar, during happy hour...not in a library!! I personally went with one friend, saw a few other people we knew and made friends with others at the bar. Several in the group were offended and left to go elsewhere. We were happy and laughing and socializing. We were not vulgar, swearing, fighting, etc which if that was the case would completely understand the 'scolding'. Will re-think going there again under similar circumstances.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Our go-to special place in our town. Great surroundings, special occasion place, anniversaries-birthdays- weddings... we've had them all here! Can't miss with service, flavor, ambiance .... a TERRIFIC restaurant in a celestial setting.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
South Windsor, Connecticut
“Nice atmosphere, but I've never been totally blown away by the food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

While we have dined here (or "barred") over the years, I think it has been more out of convenience rather than as a fervent desire. Sometimes, we've been pleasantly surprised at the food for the money, but other times, it just seemed "average." The setting is nice, but it can be a bit dark in some areas. Some may actually prefer that, but I have a hard time reading the menu when it feels like the sun has just set on the room!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
South Windsor, CT
“Can't beat the atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Took a friend here for lunch on her birthday. Food, service and atmosphere are terrific. The updated bar is really snazzy. Have been going here for years. Both my children worked here in college. Great place

• Visited September 2013