“Great Old Manor very quiet; ideal for romantic gateway!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Simsbury 1820 House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   731 Hopmeadow St, Simsbury, CT 06070   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Simsbury
Colebrook, New Hampshire
“Great Old Manor very quiet; ideal for romantic gateway!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was very please with this lovely old mansion manor...

I was warmly welcome at this little intimate inn by the manager... There was still some customer eating at their restaurant and a nice aroma was flying around... Great food ;-) too bad I had diner before...

This is an old manor so don't expect modern service such as an elevator... I had to climb 3 stories with several stairs to access my room with all my luggages ;-)

The lady at the front desk was lovely... She gave me extra internet code for all my devices... Internet was slow but ok for basic browsing and emails...

Since there is no fridge in the rooms, they let me use their small fridge :-) very kind :-)

I loved the room!!! Great bed and great rustic feel & look...

Look at my pictures they worth 5000 words!!!

Thanks for everything!!!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have stayed here a few times while visiting family and prefer it to the other less distinctive hotels in the area. The 1820 house is located within walking distance of restaurants and stores. It is a historic house with antique furniture and nice canopy beds. It's not totally modern and generic like a hotel, and you don't feel like your staying at someone's house like many B&B's. Its like you have an elderly Aunt who still owns the family mansion and let's you stay when you are in town. Much of our family prefers the more hotel-like places nearby. we like the character and uniqueness of the 1820 House.
this time we were traveling with our infant daughter and everyone was very welcoming to her and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. They provide a real crib, not a pack n play. It has a soft mattress and even a nice crib bumper. They even made sure we'd have a room that had enough space for all of us.
We did not bring our dog this time but have in the past. The dog friendly rooms are in the carriage house across the parking lot. Unlike in many hotels, these rooms are just as nice as in the main house. Some even have a small, but nice outdoor patio area. Because of the outdoor space we prefer staying here even when we don't have a dog with us.
The breakfast is adequate, not great. It's convenient to have right there in site. They are renovating now to include a good local restaurant, so this will improve the place even more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

A business conference in Bloomfield, CT, in mid-April, gave our group of associates an opportunity to chose hotel accommodations, that is, as Frost described, "one less traveled by", if you will. Travelers now have a myriad of choices to choose from, not just your run-of-the-mill chain hotels that your administrative assistant will book. And to quote Frost's Road Not Taken, one last time, "And that has made all the difference" in the hospitality business.

The 1820 House is not your typical hotel. This beautiful home has been repurposed as a bed & breakfast. This is not a boutique hotel so, for me, this was a first time staying at this classification, either as a business or leisure traveler. After the hotel shuttle picked me up at the airport, and as the driver pulled in its drive way, I was a bit nervous at the look of the home, as it brought back images of old, New England homes featured in some B-movie horror flick (I had not seen pictures of the property and my business associate who booked our rooms just said it was "different"; it didn't help that it was a bit gray that day). However, once I entered the front door, and greeted by the receptionist, my anxiousness washed away with a kind smile and greeting. The main lobby was historically beautiful. I can still hear the creaks on the floor as I shifted my weight, I could smell a century of history worn on its carpet runners, walls, stairs, breath after breath. It was different, in a very nice way, like being warmly greeted by a good friend to their home, or coming home to your childhood home after years of being away from it.

The room I had was a large and beautiful. The four-poster bed was very comfortable and I had some of the best night sleep that I could remember. There was an adjacent sun or sitting room that made it feel even larger, as well as a patio. The heater kept the room cozy through the cool night and crisp mornings. The bathroom was nice and worked perfectly. Though, there were some slight imperfections in the paint or peeling wallpaper, I dismissed that as character and history, though I could understand how others may view that. This was a homey room, a well-lived room, one where I felt like I was guest in someone's home. It was comforting and I enjoyed the three nights there.

In closing, the Simsbury 1820 House is a wonderful alternative to the rut of typical chain hotels. It is warm, cozy, and homey! It has changed my view of what a typical hotel should be.

Business Travelers: No fitness room, pool, bar, or dining, room service; has wireless internet and airport shuttle. Shuttle also takes guests to their sister property, The Simsbury Inn, where a pool, restaurant, and other amenities reside.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Uckfield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here recently during a trip from the UK. There was everything you need for a comfortable stay. The breakfast was good with a wide choice to suit all tastes. The bedrooms were big but we did feel the paintwork inside and out was in need of a little updating to improve the overall appearance. A minor issue that did not impact on our stay. I would certainly recommend this hotel and its convenient location.

Room Tip: We had 2 rooms on the first floor which were very nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the 1820 House for Memorial Day weekend. The friendly staff helped with any questions concerning local dining, activities, attractions etc. Our room was clean and comfortable. Continental breakfast was very good, especially the baked goods. You can walk to over a half dozen restaurants from the Inn. We took advantage of Simsbury's free bike program and the beautiful 26 mile trail for walking, riding, or jogging. After our ride the Innkeeper gave us each a bottle of cold water which was greatly appreciated. Hope for a return visit in the near future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

A lovely historic home which is now an Inn (since 1985). Filled with character, charm and antiques... they have made an effort to make this place feel like the home it once was. The rooms (at least the ones we had) were large and comfy with the best beds! (The third floor has the king size beds - worth the climb!). The staff was very friendly and supportive, especially the "Inn Keeper." My sister commented to her how good a particular bread was at breakfast, and the next morning, the Inn Keeper had some for her... a nice touch. The breakfast is Continental... but the baked goods are fantastic - from the Simsbury Inn - a larger sister property. There is no restaurant but there are so many good food choices in Simsbury it is not an issue. The only trick is that the front desk closes at 9:30 so you need to get there before that to get your room key but I am sure they can accommodate unique situations. This is the second time I have stayed here and will again.

Room Tip: Ask for a King bed... the bridal suite on the 3rd floor is lovely... if avail ask for it. I think a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ukiah, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Simsbury 1820 House Review

My husband, two-year old daughter, mother and niece stayed at the Simsbury 1820 House last weekend (Nov2-4) for a family reunion. Our family reunion was located at my Aunt and Uncles’ house 20 minutes away.
Upon arrival, Sandy the manger checked us into our rooms. Right away I found her to be short, rather irritated and slightly rude. The first thing Sandy told my mother was, “someone is staying under you so don’t play the TV too loud.” Not, “Welcome to Simsbury, I hope you enjoy your stay.”
This was our first clue that Sandy was not in the slightest bit hospitable.
My mom and 10-year old niece were staying in the same room. Around 4 am my mom woke up to my niece sleep walking out of their room. Startled my mother jumped up after her and left the room without her glasses or the key. The door closed behind them, locking them out.
My mom knocked on Sandy’s door but she didn’t answer. Desperate my mom and niece slept on a couch in the common area.
Finally around 6:30 in the morning Sandy came in to open up the front desk. She was not in the slightest bit sorry or helpful, but short and snappy, telling my mom, “Didn’t you see the sign on the front desk with an emergency number to call should something happen?” My mom replied, “No I did not see the sign. I did not have my glasses and I cannot see without them.”
Instead of showing compassion that my mother and niece had to sleep on a couch in the cold, she instead was irritated and quick to make it my mom’s fault that she didn’t read the sign.
That morning we went down for breakfast at 9:45, 15 minutes before breakfast was over. Again no welcome what so ever, instead an annoyed inn keeper that we were coming down at the end of breakfast, what breakfast there was. We hadn’t even picked out some food, if you can call it that, when Sandy starts breaking everything down. I asked her where the yogurt went and she glared at me, spun around on her heels and stormed back into the kitchen. She brought the yogurt back and shortly asked which one I wanted. She then took the hot water so we couldn’t have tea. Mind you the room was full of more of our family members who were still eating, and some of them were with babies.
My mom and I have worked in the hospitality industry for years. Never have we been treated so poorly while staying at a place. We felt as if we were inconveniencing Sandy throughout our stay. This wasn’t the price of a super 8 either. We paid $160 dollars a night per room!
Lastly, we had to wake at 4am Sunday morning to drive to the airport to catch our flight home to the west coast. We go downstairs and Sandy is standing there looking rather perturbed again. As we leave she says the reason she is up is because it sounded like an army was upstairs. She woke up because we were walking around in our paid for rooms getting ready to leave, but she didn’t wake up to a knock on her door the night before?
I would never recommend this house to anyone passing through Simsbury as long as Sandy works there.
It was awful to be treated that way, especially as paying customers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Simsbury 1820 House? Share your experiences!