“Would not stay here again.” 2 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Southern California
“Would not stay here again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Stayed for 8 days visiting family at Christmas. We had also stayed at this same hotel for 10 days during summer. I would not stay here again. The beds are uncomfortable, with the springs very close to coming through the top of the mattresses. The beds also have a big 'dip' in the center, so if two people are trying to sleep in the same bed they will both tend to roll towards the middle. The pull out sofa bed in the 'penthouse' rooms are basically unusable due to the paper thin mattress. We indicated we would be arriving late on a Sun. night and had secured the reservation with a credit card. When we finally got to the hotel after an exhausting 12 hour cross country trip in a snow storm, the pull out bed we needed for one of our kids had no bed linens. I called the front desk and was told by the RUDE ASSISTANT MANAGER that it would be over an hour for someone to deliver bedding to the room, or we could come and get it ourselves. So again, back outside in a blizzard to walk around the hotel to the front desk to get bed linens to then make up the bed that should have already been made. I assumed I was given enough linens, but since the asst. mgr was so rude when I went to the front desk to pick them up I did not bother checking. Well, you guessed it.... after trudging back to my room to make up the bed for my exhausted daughter, I realized I was given ONE sheet, one pillowcase and one thin blanket. So back out in the snow to the front desk I had to go once more to get proper bedding. Ridiculous.
Then there is the 'free' breakfast. One day of their 'free' breakfast will have you running to the closest diner. The breakfast is only open 6:30 to 8:30 am also, not long enough or late enough if you are on vacation or have kids that like to sleep in a little. Powdered, gross, scambled eggs, sausage they were always out of, salsa that was rancid.... stale bread and toasters that take 10 min. complete the list.
Now lets talk about housekeeping.... the soap, shampoo, toilet paper and kleenex were used and never replenished, and the place was not vaccuumed once in the 7 nights we were there. The towels were replaced every OTHER day, although they would take 3 bath towels and then leave 2.
All in all, I would MUCH rather pay more and get two connecting rooms at a better hotel then ever stay at this place again.
When we stayed in the summer of 2009 it was not much better, although it was sold out the week we were there due to a local rock festival . 20-somethings smoking pot openly on the grounds.
If you happen to wander into the hotel lobby after the 8:30 am breakfast closing time to get a newspaper or cup of coffee, you will find the entire lobby is taken over every morning for a staff meeting. Eating the rest of the breakfast foods the paying guests did not eat because the breakfast bar was not open .

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Going to the Fairfield area in Connecticut and staying in Trumbull area wasnt so much fun. Till someone suggested this property as i was to stay for a week and long days of work were planned.

It felt like home after having reached this place after a decent drive from the JFK airport. Lot of weekday traffic, and I was glad to see the room. Quite spacious and a place for everything with lot small places. Wifi enabled.

A nice kitchnette - got it stacked quickly. Located close to many restaurants and a super market. A storm came up and I just sat in my room with the TV on and laptop closeby. The clean and comfortable stay made me forget my 15 hour day at work.

Breakfast was on the house and served in the reception area. Very helpful staff and quite affordable for that area - considering the proximity to so many corporate offices.

Doesnt have a lift, shouldnt matter as it is a condo kind of place. Worthwhile affair and money well spent.

Lot of shopping closeby and nice place for a morning/evening run.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — no lift
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

We were attending a funeral, and only stayed one night. The accommodations were fine. The check in was another story. Our stay (all 3 rooms) had been booked by friends living in the area but the Asst. Manager couldn't seem to find our reservations (he told us that perhaps they were at a neighboring Marriott). Finally a clerk came to the desk and *did* find us in the system so we could check in. Then one of our party was charged to stay, even though the room had been paid for by the folks who booked it. She was able to get the charge reversed, but it took some doing. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was fine. No complains on the stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

If you have to stay in mid CT and want to avoid I95 via the Merrit Pkwy, this is a good place to stay. The room was clean and the staff was very nice. The pool was clean, and the breakfast was average. There are multiple grocery, liquor, chain restaurant, and more upscale restaurant options within a mile to the east of the hotel entrance. Nothing is walking distance. We stayed in a "Penthouse Suite" which has a one bedroom full bath downstairs, and a non enclosed loft with a full bath directly above the living room. We watched our young children like hawks because the drop from the loft bed to the living room is probably fifteen feet. Three major corporation hq's give this property most of the perfectly fine clients. There were some random long term residents like the bearded leathery skin guy who left his trash bag and empty bottle of tequilla outside of his room on a Friday morning; he startled my three year old when he rolled out of bed to get something out of his car at 9:30am with jeans, barefoot, and no shirt . From the cigarette butts and the trash bags outside of other rooms, I don't think he was the only sketchy character. There was also a next door florist with an old greenhouse with broken glass in the grass next to the parking lot. I'd stay again to avoid the dregs of mid CT and traffic on 95, it is quiet and clean, but this is on the lower end of Marriott Properties.

• Liked — away from 95
  • Disliked — shabby exterior
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Johnstown, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

I booked this hotel through our corporate system, due to the proximity of business I was conducting in the area. I came in on a red-eye to hartford, and made the 1 hour drive to the facility. The desk staff (though check-in isn't until later in the afternoon) found me a room so I could rest and conduct business...which is 'First-rate' in my book. They are close to local food, establishments and traffic routes (although far enough away that you don't hear any of the traffic).
If I had to make a recommendation, I'd say to find a way to get more space for sitting in the main lobby for the breakfast and managers reception. Having so few tables makes these cramped. Minor issue...I'd recommend to others.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff
  • Disliked — limited space for breakfast/managers reception
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We just returned from a one night stay at the Residence Inn in Shelton, Ct. I chose this hotel because of the good reviews here on tripadvisor. I must say, this was not our favorite place. There wasn't anything 'wrong' with it.. Just a few things that made it not a very positive experience.

First of all, the front desk staff, although friendly, almost seemed bothered by us coming to check in. It was about 5pm, and there were 3 of them standing there - no one acknowledged us until we said something. The guy who actually helped us check in was nice enough, but he kept leaving to go do other things in the middle of checking us in. Its a 2 minute process, but he couldn't just stay there and do it. He was busy chatting with one of the other workers. It just was not a very professional first impression.

Then we got to our room. It was right there near the front, with the window facing the street. It was so noisy in that room! I thought maybe the window was open, but it wasn't. I needed sleep (we had just driven 5 hours), so I went and asked for another room. Again - I was bothering them by asking... After a few huffs, I did get another room. The soda machine in the lobby was broken, which is probably not their fault. I asked if there was another place to get some drinks. All they said was that they called the Vending Machine people but they had not come out yet.

The room was very dark and dingy. It had a weird smell, too. We were so tired at this point that we just stayed put. The room itself was very large, with the couch/tv area and then two queen size beds in the other part of the room. There was a kitchen, and a bathroom. The bathroom was nice in that it had the sinks/counters seperate from the shower/toilet area. There was a closet in there, too. This could have been a really nice room, but it wasn't. It looked as if it had definitely seen better days.

The beds were very worn, and they kind of slanted in towards the middle. They were actually kind of comfortable, but we only had one person in each bed. IF there were two in one bed, you'd be forced into the center & into each other.

Our tv only had a handful of stations. The tv list showed about 30, but ours only showed maybe 5 or 6 different ones. We were not up to complaining about it, we were tired.

The location of the hotel is good, its close to shopping and some restaurants. It wasn't far off the freeway.

We didn't eat the complimentary breakfast. It looked like the typical free breakfast spread. Bagels, fruit, etc.

There was a pool, mini tennis/sport court, basketball court. We didnt get to enjoy them, but many other people were.

I think that its an ok place to stay, but I wouldn't stay here again. Like I said, it wasn't like there were terrible things wrong, it just wasn't 'right'. AND it was kind of expensive!

• Liked — Location was good. Room size was large
  • Disliked — Staff not very professional. Room had seen better days. Not worth the money they charge
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

We just spent 2 months at the Residence Inn in Shelton, CT after our home was destroyed by fire. In all this time, we did not have a single unpleasant encounter with a member of the staff. They went out of their way to be helpful every day and genuinely seemed to care.
This was not 5 star in the sense of marble bathrooms and fresh flowers but in terms of comfort, space and service this is as good as its gets.
In 2 minutes we'd be on Route 8 from which either I95 or the Merritt Parkway (route 15) is accessible and choice of restaurants near by made the location convenient. Quiet setting.
We are very glad that the Residence Inn was here.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County? Share your experiences!