“Standard American food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Standard American food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Nice place inside, usual burgers and food. Nice to drop in.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

New London CT
“Rude and Indifferent waitstaff.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We were attracted to the Bissell House by their lovely patio seating out front. When we arrived at 3 pm two other tables were just finishing up and one other table was seated shortly after us. Although our waitress came right out, took our order and served our drinks....she seemed to disappear after that. A different staff member brought us our food and quickly turned away without asking if we wanted a refill on our empty ice tea glasses. Our waitress did reappear a short time later. After we finished our meal (which was tasty yet overpriced) we waited for about 10 minutes. A young gentleman server came out to bring drinks to the other table but would not make eye contact with me. I went in to use the restroom and saw the entire staff standing in the back corner of the empty restaurant shooting the breeze. Finally a bus boy came out and cleared our plates and asked us if we wanted anything else...we said no and expected the waitress to come with the check, no such luck. Finally my husband went inside to inquire about paying the check and host asked him if he wanted an inside table or outside table. He nearly lost it, we had been sitting outside for over 45 minutes at that point ......the staff just plain did not care. The bus boy finally brought the check out but he he too turned away and headed inside even though the cash was clearly was sitting in my hand...again my husband had to go inside to pay. There is no excuse for rude and indifferent service in this economy....the owner better get his staff in line.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Outstanding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Having enjoyed an uncountable number of lunches in a variety of places, I came across the Bissell House in Ridgefield, Connecticut. I was delighted by my positive experience and the welcoming staff and service. I ordered the soup of the day (gazpacho with shrimp) followed by the scallop salad. The food was absolutely delicious and I will recommend this kitchen to anyone. I was also particularly impressed with the service. As a foreigner I was pleased to see that the staff spoke several languages. This completed my enjoyable lunch!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ridgefield, CT
“Best place to dine in Ridgefield!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I have been dining out for many years and have to say that Bissell House does everything right! It's a mainstay for sure - Ridgefield has never had a place like this before - I will be a forever customer and highly reccomend it!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Good food & service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Ate here last night whilst visiting the area. I found the service very friendly, informed and non-pushy, we wanted to sit around chatting before ordering and this was no problem at all. The menu was very interesting, plenty of good choices for someone who likes some inventive flavour combinations & also some more "standard" dishes. My halibut was well prepared & the tuna tartare appetizer was just right. As a bonus, all bottles of wine were half price on Wednesday evening so we made the most of it! We ended up spending around $60 / person for 3 courses & wine (2 bottles between 4) so a little pricey but not too bad. It's a bar as well as a restaurant so it's not one of the quietest settings but I like a little bustle personally so this did not bother me.

Location is nice on Ridgefield main street, lots of old charm.

• 4 of 5 stars Food