“Fun and relaxing all in one.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 attractions in Preston
Type: Wineries
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: When family and friends get together there is a magical sense of camaraderie of family. Il Cantina Sociale di La Familglia is Our Society of Wine Producers & you are now a member of the family. Throughout your days of wine-making with us you will learn from second, third & fourth generation Italian-Americans the joys and traditions of wine making. From crushing and pressing to racking and bottling, you will be involved in each step resulting in your own barrel of Vino della Casa labeled, of course, with your name. During your time with us, in addition to working with the grapes, we invite you to experience the Italian way, as we know it. We will share with you our new family, the great meals, the lore, the tradition and the story telling that has made for such camaraderie and resulted in so many special times. You'll probably even pick up a few of our favorite phrases and gestures along the way. We invite you to stroll the gardens, play a game of bocce or horseshoes, or lend a hand in the kitchen preparing for the evening's feast!
“Fun and relaxing all in one.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went with some friends for a chocolate and wine tasting and though the First Lady that waited on us had to leave we were quickly tended to by Dee. She was great and fun and made for a very pleasant experience for us all. Very good wine, great atmosphere, almost like going to a friends house. Very laid back. Prices are what I would expect so no surprise there. We will be going back for sure and we will be bringing more friends.

Visited June 2013

“Quaint, friendly, small lovely place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Stopped on way to casino. So glad we did! Great experience. The woman serving our tastings answered all of our questions. Another employee stopped by periodically to make sure we were taken care of. The grounds are beautiful and we will make sure to go back next time we are driving by.

Vernon, Connecticut
19 attraction reviews
“Something New”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I went here on a Groupon with a few of my female friends for a little chocolate and wine bonding time. I expected a lot since I had previously looked into this winery as a place to have a bridal party gathering. I changed my mind on that soon enough when I found out the price to have a group make several cases of wine from start to finish was going to be in the $3000 price range...a little to rich for this Riesling girls blood. At any rate one the girls had found a groupon for $6 per person (we had to buy it in groups of 4 and there were 7 of us..someone backed out at the last minute) for a full wine tasting, 5 wines and chocolate. We arrived, and what a beautiful drive it was there, and were stunned by how beautiful the house was....southern charm wraparound porch..ohhh. But then we quickly realized that our tasting was either going to be in the shack outside or on the grounds somewhere. We went inside, which is extremely smalll and there were three barrels with swivel tops situated around , all of which were taken and honestly it was such a beautiful day there seemed no point in trying to squeeze in there so we took them up on their offer to find a place to sit down but the pond. We found a great spot under a tree close to the pond and then the wine tasting began. Overall we tasted a few different ones but sadly they had no dessert wines available. The chocolate plate was goog with hit and misses. Mostly because some of the chocolate you could tell was just cut up Godive bars and there were only two that seemed special enough that they may have sourced them from someplace other than the Big Y. The stemless weeble wobble wine glasses were a hit with a lot of the girls who purchased them afterwards...I felt that we should have gotten a glass with the tasting. That particular day they had a staff member call out and the owners themselves were literally running the show....a super high five to the female owner who totally rocked a kiiler high pair of heels and beautiful couture looking dress while huffing it up and down the grass from glass to glasss (it became super busy!!) refilling, smiling answering all kinds of questions and keeping it personal and amazing. The male owner was equally as charming and hard working. We did indulge and get a cheeseplate which was severely disappointing for the size, variety, and prsentation of the cheese and fruit on it. The sauce which I believe is something they make there and see there was actually pretty tasty but I expected a higher quality and finer selection of cheeses than what was presented. We did but additional chocolate plates for $11 each that I felt were also overpriced as was the $16 cheese plate. The highlight was the AMAZING porta potty restroom that was available. No joking they pimped this restrrom out hard core and there was ABSOLUTELY NO ODOR...I would have taken it home it was so clean and pleasant. Spo overall some of my friedns purchased wine to take home and I did not. We did buy and share two bottles there since the bottle price is $29 as compared with $ 10 per glass. I don't think I will return to this winery as I felt it was overpriced and somehwat not delivering on what the prices promised. It is till a young winery only in business for 3 years so it will be interesting to see how it matures. The owners and there hospitality clearly were top notch.

3 attraction reviews
“Great experience via Groupon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure we would have even known about this place if Groupon had not offered the deal. We did a wine / chocolate tasting. Happened to go on a beautiful day, and were surprised to see lots of people sitting outside under a huge old tree by a nice pond. We sat in comfy wicker rockers, folk singer in the background, and they brought each tasting out to us. Really. nice servers. We even saw them moving large chairs and tables for some older people into the shade. The wine itself was better than i expected, some were pretty good! The only downside was the chocolate really was just different types of chocolate bars cut up into pieces. That wasn't really our focus so not a big deal, but if it's offered as a chocolate pairing, maybe should be a little nicer? Will Definately go back and bring friends and food.

Lyme, Connecticut
“Wonderful warm winery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Visited on the advice of a friend for an open mike night recently and was very pleasantly surprised. We were advised to order food beforehand and we were delighted to be served the most abundant and gorgeous farm fresh salad with many delicious ingredients and stuffed breads, two for the vegetarians and two for the carnivores. The food was really amazing. Topped only by the wine tasting, which was so much fun and full of a variety of flavors. Dee and Blaze treated us graciously and we spent the night with great local music, the best food we've had out in a long time, and delicious new wines. Homey, sweet and a place to add to a list of favorites, they are certainly eager and anxious to please and we all had a blast. Everyone there was sweet and grateful for a place to let go and enjoy wine, food and song with great spirit!

Visited May 2013