“WOW! Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Inn   |   109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
“WOW! Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were looking for a place to relax, have those long conversations there is never enough time for in every day, working couple, always electronically connected type of lives. This is the PERFECT place! Sit on the covered deck, walk into the fields to sitting areas, be by yourself or enjoy the wonderful company of Ted, Carol and guests! For those who want to get out, SO many wonderful attractions very nearby, from the wineries , boat tours of light houses to Mystic itself. The breakfast are to die for, always different and delicious. You can smell them cooking as you wake up and know that a wonderful day has dawned! Go where, whenever you like, or just relax and enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Pamela P

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed here 4th July weekend for a Mystic CT experience. Both the house and the proprietors have character; the place is as much Ted and Carol as is it a house built in 1754, Very helpful in suggesting places to eat (made dinner reservations for us at a nice local place) and in getting discount tickets for Mystic attractions. Breakfast was excellent and filling. We didn't see or hear anything supernatural, bet we had the air conditioner on the whole time.

Room Tip: Two houses contain rooms, one near street and one set back. The set back house is where breakfast is...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank george l
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

AWSOME stay Ted and Carol stellar hosts. The inn is very inviting. Comfortable rooms, you feel the history . They say it's haunted I say just be polite . The breakfast is fantastic , the company priceless . Ted and Carol sat with us and the conversations where so soothing. We will be back!!! Oh don't forget to buy some homemade jams .

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Sevenmonk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I was intrigued by stories and history of this mysterious inn but I was delighted by the charming ambiance of this place and the hospitality of hosts Ted and Carol. My husband loved it as well and we would love to be back in a heart beat for another stay! Breakfast was so good and our little " promenade " within the property on that sunny day made our stay unforgettable. I'd highly recommend it to anybody who loves the peace, quiet and charm of a unique B & B inn.

Room Tip: choose the rooms on the second floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scorpion_queen74
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Will definitely be back. Ted and Carol were extremely welcoming. I felt like I went back into a better time, when life was more simple. Loved it!hoping to bring some friends back this fall.i think this would be a great place for a girls getaway!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank lovesVegas12
Madison, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My sisters and I went to Captain Grant's for my birthday getaway. It felt like home away from home, was comfy and the grounds are so pretty. I wish it was warmer so I could have had coffee on the porch in the morning. The rooms are close together, so you have to be pretty quiet, but we had it to ourselves that night and didn't have to worry. Country breakfast the next morning was such a delicious treat, we felt very pampered there! Ted and Carol were so caring and made sure we had everything we needed. The heating system kept me awake so my next visit will be in the summer, hopefully very soon. I loved walking through the old cemeteries and feeling connected to our history. We did not encounter any spirits but felt our dads presence. :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Leslie368
Westerly, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

It was my family and my pleasure to stay at this 250 year old plus historical Bed & Breakfast. I have to confess, I have done a lot of traveling, but have always stayed in hotels, so this was a first for me on many levels.

One reason I have always avoided B&B's is the few I have toured seemed a bit stuffy, or dare I say it, 'yuppie'... There's nothing about my family and I that is yuppie! And there was nothing stuffy about this historic Inn! The innkeepers, Ted and Carol were pleasant, down to earth and engaging. We left feeling as though we knew them before we ever arrived.

The rooms were clean, tastefully decorated and welcoming. The common area's were comfortable and reflected the history of the home and some of the historical events it stood through. The breakfast was traditional American, it included fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, home fries and toast. It was all well prepared with plenty to satisfy even my bottomless pit 13 year old son's appetite.

If I had to find any fault to the place it would be age related. This is a very old home, constructed twenty years before the Founding Fathers assigned Gen. Washington with the task of sending the British back to England. It has all the character and charm of a well preserved home of its age. For some, this is not always what they have in mind for a B&B. All I can state is my own personal feelings on the matter, and that is I wouldn't stay in any other kind. This is a real live piece of American History that you can not only relax in and enjoy, but pull up the covers and get a good nights sleep, too.

The home itself has interesting history, and I believe rumors are true, there is some paranormal activity in the place. Although I think most people who stay here would never notice any of it. As someone who enjoys this kind of phenomenon and has studied it a little, I can say there seems to be nothing negative or bad there. As they say, "it's all good!" If you would enjoy a night or two in a place like this my recommendation is only that much greater.

For my family and I it was an interesting, enjoyable time. For the history and friendly atmosphere alone I would have to rate this a little above 'very good'... We'll be going back!

Room Tip: Each room is unique, has a private bath and is nicely appointed. The Collette has a day bed to accom...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Timothy G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
Holiday Inn Norwich
Holiday Inn Norwich
#2 of 5 in Norwich
3.5 of 5 stars 251 reviews

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!