“Cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Madison, Connecticut
“Cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My sisters and I went to Captain Grant's for my birthday getaway. It felt like home away from home, was comfy and the grounds are so pretty. I wish it was warmer so I could have had coffee on the porch in the morning. The rooms are close together, so you have to be pretty quiet, but we had it to ourselves that night and didn't have to worry. Country breakfast the next morning was such a delicious treat, we felt very pampered there! Ted and Carol were so caring and made sure we had everything we needed. The heating system kept me awake so my next visit will be in the summer, hopefully very soon. I loved walking through the old cemeteries and feeling connected to our history. We did not encounter any spirits but felt our dads presence. :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Westerly, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

It was my family and my pleasure to stay at this 250 year old plus historical Bed & Breakfast. I have to confess, I have done a lot of traveling, but have always stayed in hotels, so this was a first for me on many levels.

One reason I have always avoided B&B's is the few I have toured seemed a bit stuffy, or dare I say it, 'yuppie'... There's nothing about my family and I that is yuppie! And there was nothing stuffy about this historic Inn! The innkeepers, Ted and Carol were pleasant, down to earth and engaging. We left feeling as though we knew them before we ever arrived.

The rooms were clean, tastefully decorated and welcoming. The common area's were comfortable and reflected the history of the home and some of the historical events it stood through. The breakfast was traditional American, it included fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, home fries and toast. It was all well prepared with plenty to satisfy even my bottomless pit 13 year old son's appetite.

If I had to find any fault to the place it would be age related. This is a very old home, constructed twenty years before the Founding Fathers assigned Gen. Washington with the task of sending the British back to England. It has all the character and charm of a well preserved home of its age. For some, this is not always what they have in mind for a B&B. All I can state is my own personal feelings on the matter, and that is I wouldn't stay in any other kind. This is a real live piece of American History that you can not only relax in and enjoy, but pull up the covers and get a good nights sleep, too.

The home itself has interesting history, and I believe rumors are true, there is some paranormal activity in the place. Although I think most people who stay here would never notice any of it. As someone who enjoys this kind of phenomenon and has studied it a little, I can say there seems to be nothing negative or bad there. As they say, "it's all good!" If you would enjoy a night or two in a place like this my recommendation is only that much greater.

For my family and I it was an interesting, enjoyable time. For the history and friendly atmosphere alone I would have to rate this a little above 'very good'... We'll be going back!

Room Tip: Each room is unique, has a private bath and is nicely appointed. The Collette has a day bed to accom...
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My Mom, sister, and I went to Captain Grant's for a long weekend. The B&B had a very antique feel and was both charming and beautiful. Ted and Carol were WONDERFUL hosts and made us feel right at home. They had great restaurant suggestions and served lovely family-style breakfasts in the AM. Carol's homemade jams were delicious accents to our morning meals. Bella Fiore was absolutely delicious Italian, and Mystic Pizza also lived up to it's expectations.

We found the B&B through a Groupon, but ended up extending our stay. We would love to visit again when the warmer weather sets in. I would definitely recommend this B&B if you're searching for a unique and lovely stay in the Preston area.

p.s. If you're a fan of the paranormal, which we are, this B&B is a great spot to explore. The house is FULL of history, which you can feel as soon as you walk in. There is also a very old cemetery behind the property, which is worth checking out. There were definitely some creepy vibes and noises in the night that may have kept us all up a bit, and we found some strange light marks in pictures that we took. On our last morning Carol provided a ghost communication session, which we found to be pretty eerie and intriguing.

Overall definitely recommend this B&B and their hard-working crew! We will be returning again at some point..

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, but apparently the Adelaide Room is the hotspot for paranomoral sightin...
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My girlfriend and i wanted to stay in New England B&B so we found this plac and found it really nicely decorated with all amenities you need for your stay, we played pool, sat down in the common areas eating home-made cookies, have some beers (all included) and had a really relaxing time. We didn't know that this B&B was popular for ghost communications and paranormal activity fans. I didn't see anything actually but it was interesting to see though!

The best part was the breakfast, you sit down with the rest of the guests at 9 am sharp, like a family and enjoy a very vast and delicious breakfast!

The hosts are very knowledable of the area and have preferential tickets or discounts for nearby restaurants and places such as the Mystic aquarium among other. Don't hesitate and ask them for recommendations.

Elmhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I found a great deal on Groupon for a one night stay Sun - Thurs with a free ghost communications lesson and decided to use it for my birthday on Dec 27th. We drove in from Queens NY and the  place was easy to find. As soon as we arrived Ted greeted us with a big smile and showed us to our room, we stayed in the Collette room. The room was well equipped with warm bedding, lots of pillows (which I love) fresh towels, soap, shampoo, tv with cable, and a lovely crystal container with some sort of sweet liquor and two shot glasses which was really delicious and helped me fall fast asleep that night. My husband and I were a bit restless and hungry so we decided to go downstairs to have some of the most delicious complimentary lemon cake, coffee, and cookies in the dining room. We then made our way to the upstairs game room and played a round of pool. I loved that we had access to the entire house during our stay and the place really did feel like a home away from home. I can't emphasize enough how warm, and cozy the house felt and how comfortable we felt here. The next morning we shared the table with our neighbors and a few other guests for a large family style breakfast. Since we were the last to join the group, Ted was a magnificant host and reintroduced everyone to break the ice for good conversation at breakfast. The food was absolutely scruptious, waffles, new york style scrammbled eggs, ham, raspberry jam, coffee, freshly squeezed O.J., and apple cider. After breakfast Carol joined us and shared some very intersting history and a few stories about the Inn from inception to date, followed by the ghost communications lesson which was amazing and totally out of this world. Ted and Carol are two of the sweetest  most generous and phenomenal human beings we've met. They deserve the sky, the stars, and a mountain of blessings. We were so happy with everything we made sure to let them know with a lovely thank you card and left our numbers in case they ever need our services or help maintaining the place. We loved the stay and would recommend Captain Grants in a heart  beat to anyone looking for a comfortable, clean, warm, homely place to get away. Needless to stay we will be back VERY SOON!!! -! Jess and Dio

• Stayed December 2013
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I took my boyfriend here for the night on Saturday the 28th December. We arrived about 6:30pm and Ted was very friendly at check in and showed us around. Given the historical nature of the inn, I would have imagined we'd get a short write up of the house and the area - but we were only given a couple of maps.

Given that the main home is meant to be solely for the paying residents, the fact that the game room was used by the owners and their guests until at least 11:30pm right ABOVE our bedroom (Adelaide room) made our 'romantic' night less than restful. Also the room next to us clearly has a TV situated on the wall it shares with the Adelaide room so we heard that clearly until it was switched off at midnight. I have stayed in countless B&B's in multiple countries so my expectations of soundproofing are not unrealistic and I was assuming there would be some.

Sadly, for what I paid, I would have chosen somewhere on the coast instead.

I cannot fault them for cleanliness, location, breakfast, service. I just wasn't wowed. :(

Room Tip: Adelaide room is noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CaptaiGrants, Owner at Captain Grant's, 1754, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
The guest was correct about not receiving a history of the Inn. We do have albums on the coffee table depicting the renovations and newspaper articles on the table as well. It is a great idea for us to produce these and distribute to those that want them. Thank you.
Our response on the location of the Adelaide room is as follows. The Adelaide room has no common walls with any other room. Two bathrooms separate Adelaide and Collette and a hallway separates Adelaide from Elizabeth. Above their room is an empty attic. We have a 20' x 26' extension on the back of the home. On the first floor is our kitchen. On the second floor is the billiard room that the guests talked about. The wall separating the extension and the main home is over 8" thick.
Captain Grant's was built in 1754 and is on the Nation Register of Historic Places. It is a true early American colonial. The most elegant B&Bs are the Places of Europe and Grand Victorians. With the advent of the computer, matching your expectations to a place to stay is easier than ever. All said. We are an alternative WOW.
Carol
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

If your looking for something different and really cool this is your place. Can't say enough about Carol and Ted. They made us feel at home. Creaky old house with old fashioned beds and completely restored by Ted and Carol. The food was delicious and the ambiance was exceptional. Close to the casinos and Mystic attractios a great location. The whole ghost experience was very interesting. I surprised my wife with 2 nights here and she was delighted.

Room Tip: All he rooms are decorated like a hundred years ago and each has a gas fireplace
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Hilton Garden Inn Preston Casino Area
Hyatt Place Mystic
Hyatt Place Mystic
#1 of 13 in Mystic
4.5 of 5 stars 585 reviews

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!