“Charming historical B&B with wonderful hard-working hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Captain Grant's, 1754
109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Charming historical B&B with wonderful hard-working hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My Mom, sister, and I went to Captain Grant's for a long weekend. The B&B had a very antique feel and was both charming and beautiful. Ted and Carol were WONDERFUL hosts and made us feel right at home. They had great restaurant suggestions and served lovely family-style breakfasts in the AM. Carol's homemade jams were delicious accents to our morning meals. Bella Fiore was absolutely delicious Italian, and Mystic Pizza also lived up to it's expectations.

We found the B&B through a Groupon, but ended up extending our stay. We would love to visit again when the warmer weather sets in. I would definitely recommend this B&B if you're searching for a unique and lovely stay in the Preston area.

p.s. If you're a fan of the paranormal, which we are, this B&B is a great spot to explore. The house is FULL of history, which you can feel as soon as you walk in. There is also a very old cemetery behind the property, which is worth checking out. There were definitely some creepy vibes and noises in the night that may have kept us all up a bit, and we found some strange light marks in pictures that we took. On our last morning Carol provided a ghost communication session, which we found to be pretty eerie and intriguing.

Overall definitely recommend this B&B and their hard-working crew! We will be returning again at some point..

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, but apparently the Adelaide Room is the hotspot for paranomoral sightin...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My girlfriend and i wanted to stay in New England B&B so we found this plac and found it really nicely decorated with all amenities you need for your stay, we played pool, sat down in the common areas eating home-made cookies, have some beers (all included) and had a really relaxing time. We didn't know that this B&B was popular for ghost communications and paranormal activity fans. I didn't see anything actually but it was interesting to see though!

The best part was the breakfast, you sit down with the rest of the guests at 9 am sharp, like a family and enjoy a very vast and delicious breakfast!

The hosts are very knowledable of the area and have preferential tickets or discounts for nearby restaurants and places such as the Mystic aquarium among other. Don't hesitate and ask them for recommendations.

Elmhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I found a great deal on Groupon for a one night stay Sun - Thurs with a free ghost communications lesson and decided to use it for my birthday on Dec 27th. We drove in from Queens NY and the  place was easy to find. As soon as we arrived Ted greeted us with a big smile and showed us to our room, we stayed in the Collette room. The room was well equipped with warm bedding, lots of pillows (which I love) fresh towels, soap, shampoo, tv with cable, and a lovely crystal container with some sort of sweet liquor and two shot glasses which was really delicious and helped me fall fast asleep that night. My husband and I were a bit restless and hungry so we decided to go downstairs to have some of the most delicious complimentary lemon cake, coffee, and cookies in the dining room. We then made our way to the upstairs game room and played a round of pool. I loved that we had access to the entire house during our stay and the place really did feel like a home away from home. I can't emphasize enough how warm, and cozy the house felt and how comfortable we felt here. The next morning we shared the table with our neighbors and a few other guests for a large family style breakfast. Since we were the last to join the group, Ted was a magnificant host and reintroduced everyone to break the ice for good conversation at breakfast. The food was absolutely scruptious, waffles, new york style scrammbled eggs, ham, raspberry jam, coffee, freshly squeezed O.J., and apple cider. After breakfast Carol joined us and shared some very intersting history and a few stories about the Inn from inception to date, followed by the ghost communications lesson which was amazing and totally out of this world. Ted and Carol are two of the sweetest  most generous and phenomenal human beings we've met. They deserve the sky, the stars, and a mountain of blessings. We were so happy with everything we made sure to let them know with a lovely thank you card and left our numbers in case they ever need our services or help maintaining the place. We loved the stay and would recommend Captain Grants in a heart  beat to anyone looking for a comfortable, clean, warm, homely place to get away. Needless to stay we will be back VERY SOON!!! -! Jess and Dio

• Stayed December 2013
Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I took my boyfriend here for the night on Saturday the 28th December. We arrived about 6:30pm and Ted was very friendly at check in and showed us around. Given the historical nature of the inn, I would have imagined we'd get a short write up of the house and the area - but we were only given a couple of maps.

Given that the main home is meant to be solely for the paying residents, the fact that the game room was used by the owners and their guests until at least 11:30pm right ABOVE our bedroom (Adelaide room) made our 'romantic' night less than restful. Also the room next to us clearly has a TV situated on the wall it shares with the Adelaide room so we heard that clearly until it was switched off at midnight. I have stayed in countless B&B's in multiple countries so my expectations of soundproofing are not unrealistic and I was assuming there would be some.

Sadly, for what I paid, I would have chosen somewhere on the coast instead.

I cannot fault them for cleanliness, location, breakfast, service. I just wasn't wowed. :(

Room Tip: Adelaide room is noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CaptaiGrants, Owner at Captain Grant's, 1754, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
The guest was correct about not receiving a history of the Inn. We do have albums on the coffee table depicting the renovations and newspaper articles on the table as well. It is a great idea for us to produce these and distribute to those that want them. Thank you.
Our response on the location of the Adelaide room is as follows. The Adelaide room has no common walls with any other room. Two bathrooms separate Adelaide and Collette and a hallway separates Adelaide from Elizabeth. Above their room is an empty attic. We have a 20' x 26' extension on the back of the home. On the first floor is our kitchen. On the second floor is the billiard room that the guests talked about. The wall separating the extension and the main home is over 8" thick.
Captain Grant's was built in 1754 and is on the Nation Register of Historic Places. It is a true early American colonial. The most elegant B&Bs are the Places of Europe and Grand Victorians. With the advent of the computer, matching your expectations to a place to stay is easier than ever. All said. We are an alternative WOW.
Carol
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

If your looking for something different and really cool this is your place. Can't say enough about Carol and Ted. They made us feel at home. Creaky old house with old fashioned beds and completely restored by Ted and Carol. The food was delicious and the ambiance was exceptional. Close to the casinos and Mystic attractios a great location. The whole ghost experience was very interesting. I surprised my wife with 2 nights here and she was delighted.

Room Tip: All he rooms are decorated like a hundred years ago and each has a gas fireplace
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Nice owners who were hospitable and friendly enough but the house was a bit too "rustic" for me. The linens were not clean and neither were the bathrooms or floors. I stayed here for a bachelorette party so it wasn't much concern to me but had I gone with my significant other, I would have been pretty appalled at the rooms. I also have to be critical of the breakfast. It IS a b&b after all. The breakfast was unremarkable, with the pancakes being some of the blandest I've ever had.

It wasn't all bad though, there's a great room with a pool table and fireplace for relaxing and the kitchen is large and gorgeous. Also, the bedrooms are large and have a lot of character. I would be remiss not to mention that they shoveled off the cars after a pretty healthy snow storm. That was classy. All in all I think a few adjustments would easily make this place worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Plant City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th Anniversary Nov, 2013 and stayed in the Elizabeth room at Captain Grants. The owners Carol and Ted were wonderful, the breakfast every morning was delicious and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. It is in a great location if you are visiting the Casino's. We would definately go back and stay with them again we took home some of Carol's homemade jams and they were delicious. We would recommend Captain Grants if you are planning a trip to that area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!