“Nice, large home but in need of maintenance” 3 of 5 stars

Captain Grant's, 1754
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice, large home but in need of maintenance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Nice owners who were hospitable and friendly enough but the house was a bit too "rustic" for me. The linens were not clean and neither were the bathrooms or floors. I stayed here for a bachelorette party so it wasn't much concern to me but had I gone with my significant other, I would have been pretty appalled at the rooms. I also have to be critical of the breakfast. It IS a b&b after all. The breakfast was unremarkable, with the pancakes being some of the blandest I've ever had.

It wasn't all bad though, there's a great room with a pool table and fireplace for relaxing and the kitchen is large and gorgeous. Also, the bedrooms are large and have a lot of character. I would be remiss not to mention that they shoveled off the cars after a pretty healthy snow storm. That was classy. All in all I think a few adjustments would easily make this place worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Plant City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th Anniversary Nov, 2013 and stayed in the Elizabeth room at Captain Grants. The owners Carol and Ted were wonderful, the breakfast every morning was delicious and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. It is in a great location if you are visiting the Casino's. We would definately go back and stay with them again we took home some of Carol's homemade jams and they were delicious. We would recommend Captain Grants if you are planning a trip to that area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Woburn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

If you are visiting this area of CT, casinos, wineries, mystic.....you will be very pleased at this great B&B...rooms are nicely decorated, with complimentary cherry, not to mention the beer and wine in the 1st floor refrigerator. The service ..one word ...fantastic...they could not do enough for us. The breakfast...WOW..eggs, pancakes, hash, etc. we will be back for certain.
Oh yeah...Although it is Haunted, we did not see anything

Room Tip: We will be going back...for sure
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Methuen, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Came here to this lively bed and breakfast to be close to Foxwoods and Mohegan sun casinos on a two day trip.
It was my first time staying at any type of bed and breakfast so I was not sure what to expect
We was greeted by tom when we arrived and from then on everyone one was wonderful and the breakfasts was awsum
I will be returning here for sure when I come down to the area

• Stayed November 2013
Lawrence, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

had a wonderful 2 night stay here....... with wonderful owners ....and the staff very polite and helpfull, the breakfast food was awsum.. and always had snacks available.......
will defenitely return here to this lovely home when i am in the area......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Felpham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hosts, convivial atmosphere, wonderful breakfast, full of character. My only criticism of the Inn would be slightly musty smelling towels. However this is a very old property and its character, wonderful social breakfasts and location massively outweigh the criticism.

• Stayed October 2013
Derby, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Hello this is Cheryl Andros, I wanted to thank Ted and Carol for a trip I'll never forget. Ted and Carol are two of the nicest people I've ever met! To me they became like Family and we are going back . By no means is the Inn dirty and I am a clean fanatic! It's beautiful inside and out.

I can't wait to go back. God Bless you both Carol and Ted! and see you soon.Cheryl and Dave Andros. I know David wrote another review just as good but, I wanted to write one of my own.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!