“Beautiful and Historic” 5 of 5 stars

109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
“Beautiful and Historic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I where there mid april. The house is very beautiful. Carol makes the best homemade jam. I bought some before I left. Now, she's mailing me some all the way to Texas. They have an antique pool table in the game room. Overall, I would stay there over and over if it wasn't on the other side of the US.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
West Brookfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife found this B & B and decided to come with me on my trip. She made a great a choice. The breakfast was fantastic. All along the property and the decks, there were places to sit and relax. The hosts, Ted and Carol, were an absolute joy to be around. What a "diamond in the rough" We will be coming back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
long island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful 2 night stay with Carol and Ted in their historic B and B. Breakfast each morning was both delicious and beautiful (set with fine china- a different pattern each morning!). Location is awesome- 15-20 minutes to Mystic, 3 nearby wineries, and only minutes to Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods. Lots of special touches- a decanter of sherry in every room, complimentary wine, beer, soda and baked goods at all times, a beautiful game room with an antique pool table, puzzles, board games etc. Huge yard with several quiet seating areas and an old cemetery in the very back that we really enjoyed exploring. Carol and Ted are wonderful people- we had fun getting to know them and the other guests over breakfast- and they know plenty about the area, perfect innkeepers. Can't say enough good things about Captain Grant's- we will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Ted provided us with a tour of all of the rooms and several options- we chose the Elizabeth room but...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Merrick, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose this because it was convenient to Mohegan Sun, and it took dogs. We found out later that many people chose them because of a reputation for haunting. Ghosts would not be a surprise, because the south end of their great lawn borders a colonial era graveyard that has been left to the elements for decades. The deck on the second floor is a wonderful place to just chill and enjoy the complimentary wine. The breakfasts were every bit as gourmet as promised. We basically loved this place and would go out of our way to revisit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed the breakfast . Everything was fresh. A lot of Love went into it. The living room was Very cozy. I felt like I was transported in time. The location was very close to the casino's which we visited at nite. We also visited Mystic Seaport. There are many places to visit close by which was really nice.

Room Tip: Any room in the main building with a Fireplace , is really nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Breakfast was very nice. I really don't eat breakfast ( I know why stay at a BandB) but what was served was plentiful and varied. It was served family style, everyone sitting around a table and the guests were all fun and entertaining. The hosts do a fabulous job of attempting to accommodate their guests, they provide regular snacks, complimentary beverages, sherry in the room, etc. I don't have a single complaint about the staff, the food or the room in general. My sole complaint however is kind of a big one - the towels stank badly of mildew. They were attractive towels, not shabby, thin or worn, but they had a very peculiar odor, kind of like what you might expect if you'd left the towels in the washer for a couple of days and then dried them. I have heard people can have this problem with front load washers and don't know if that's the issue, but it was a very pronounced smell. Since nothing appeared "unclean" about the place, I am not entirely sure what the cause was, but it did very much detract from the experience. I am rather finicky about bathing and tend to shower both morning and night at a minimum, so it kind of was a double whammy for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mold, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Very attractive old inn run by charming and interesting hosts.
Bedroom a little on the small side and a little dusty, although there had been some recent works. This did not detract from our stay however which we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!