“Staying in a bit of history” 4 of 5 stars

Captain Grant's, 1754
109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Merrick, NY
“Staying in a bit of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose this because it was convenient to Mohegan Sun, and it took dogs. We found out later that many people chose them because of a reputation for haunting. Ghosts would not be a surprise, because the south end of their great lawn borders a colonial era graveyard that has been left to the elements for decades. The deck on the second floor is a wonderful place to just chill and enjoy the complimentary wine. The breakfasts were every bit as gourmet as promised. We basically loved this place and would go out of our way to revisit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed the breakfast . Everything was fresh. A lot of Love went into it. The living room was Very cozy. I felt like I was transported in time. The location was very close to the casino's which we visited at nite. We also visited Mystic Seaport. There are many places to visit close by which was really nice.

Room Tip: Any room in the main building with a Fireplace , is really nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Breakfast was very nice. I really don't eat breakfast ( I know why stay at a BandB) but what was served was plentiful and varied. It was served family style, everyone sitting around a table and the guests were all fun and entertaining. The hosts do a fabulous job of attempting to accommodate their guests, they provide regular snacks, complimentary beverages, sherry in the room, etc. I don't have a single complaint about the staff, the food or the room in general. My sole complaint however is kind of a big one - the towels stank badly of mildew. They were attractive towels, not shabby, thin or worn, but they had a very peculiar odor, kind of like what you might expect if you'd left the towels in the washer for a couple of days and then dried them. I have heard people can have this problem with front load washers and don't know if that's the issue, but it was a very pronounced smell. Since nothing appeared "unclean" about the place, I am not entirely sure what the cause was, but it did very much detract from the experience. I am rather finicky about bathing and tend to shower both morning and night at a minimum, so it kind of was a double whammy for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mold, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Very attractive old inn run by charming and interesting hosts.
Bedroom a little on the small side and a little dusty, although there had been some recent works. This did not detract from our stay however which we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I always look for b&bs for business instead of cold impersonal hotels. Carol and Ted, besides being warm and gracious, are one of the smart owners who offer free wi-fi. I had customers in Ct and RI to visit and this was a good central location. I had a chance to check out Mystic and Watch Hill. i don't like casinos but if you do, they are really close. Carol and Ted had breakfast for me at my schedule and it was awesome. The best part of my stay came the first night. I was fighting a cold and decided to get to bed early. I was tired from the long drive from PA. I turned off the TV and lights at 7-7:30 and rolled over. Something,or I should say, someone jumped on the bed behind me. I was very startled and sat up and said HEY. I thought I heard a giggle and felt the bed clothes being moved. The strangest thing was, I wasn't frightened! I just layed down again and went to sleep. The next morning, I was told that since I was in the mother Adelaide's room, it was probably her daughter. How cool is that!

Room Tip: Like ghosts?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was in the mood to indulge myself with a Bed and Breakfast on a recent solo trip through coastal New England. Captain Grant's was near Mystic and had good reviews. But there was so much more! Very well kept and comfortable, Ted and Carol make the extra efforts that raised this location from a 4 star to a 5 - everything from discount tickets to local attractions and a well drawn map to help find those casinos to recommendations for a trip to the nearby Pequot Museum -- absolutely not to be missed. Breakfast was served on lovely matching china and one morning included home-grown organic pear compote for the sourdough french toast - yummy! And yes, the cut glass decanter of sherry is really there in every bedroom, a perfect nightcap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We picked Captain Grant's based on Trips rating. There are many things wriiten about this place and it all depends on your own wants. When we arrived,Ted met us and asked if we would like to stay in the main house rather in the other building (close to the road= loud road noise) where we had reserved. Yes. The main building is about 100 feet from route 2a, where the other building is right on the road. Make no mistake, this IS an old building with some refinements. A couple of cobwebs, no big deal and windows that don't seal. The rooms were nice, no flat screens here, bathroom doors that hit the toilet, dont close and has no door handle. Minor. The breakfasts were wonderful, nothing fancy, plentiful and served at 9 am. Being right in between the casinos, we went to Foxwood the first night and Mohegan Sun the second. Very different places. Ted was very helpful and can make suggestions on where to go and what to see. If road noise doesn't bother you, it is a wonderful place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!