“Very nice overall, some minor complaints” 4 of 5 stars

Captain Grant's, 1754
109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
USA
“Very nice overall, some minor complaints”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Breakfast was very nice. I really don't eat breakfast ( I know why stay at a BandB) but what was served was plentiful and varied. It was served family style, everyone sitting around a table and the guests were all fun and entertaining. The hosts do a fabulous job of attempting to accommodate their guests, they provide regular snacks, complimentary beverages, sherry in the room, etc. I don't have a single complaint about the staff, the food or the room in general. My sole complaint however is kind of a big one - the towels stank badly of mildew. They were attractive towels, not shabby, thin or worn, but they had a very peculiar odor, kind of like what you might expect if you'd left the towels in the washer for a couple of days and then dried them. I have heard people can have this problem with front load washers and don't know if that's the issue, but it was a very pronounced smell. Since nothing appeared "unclean" about the place, I am not entirely sure what the cause was, but it did very much detract from the experience. I am rather finicky about bathing and tend to shower both morning and night at a minimum, so it kind of was a double whammy for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mold, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Very attractive old inn run by charming and interesting hosts.
Bedroom a little on the small side and a little dusty, although there had been some recent works. This did not detract from our stay however which we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I always look for b&bs for business instead of cold impersonal hotels. Carol and Ted, besides being warm and gracious, are one of the smart owners who offer free wi-fi. I had customers in Ct and RI to visit and this was a good central location. I had a chance to check out Mystic and Watch Hill. i don't like casinos but if you do, they are really close. Carol and Ted had breakfast for me at my schedule and it was awesome. The best part of my stay came the first night. I was fighting a cold and decided to get to bed early. I was tired from the long drive from PA. I turned off the TV and lights at 7-7:30 and rolled over. Something,or I should say, someone jumped on the bed behind me. I was very startled and sat up and said HEY. I thought I heard a giggle and felt the bed clothes being moved. The strangest thing was, I wasn't frightened! I just layed down again and went to sleep. The next morning, I was told that since I was in the mother Adelaide's room, it was probably her daughter. How cool is that!

Room Tip: Like ghosts?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was in the mood to indulge myself with a Bed and Breakfast on a recent solo trip through coastal New England. Captain Grant's was near Mystic and had good reviews. But there was so much more! Very well kept and comfortable, Ted and Carol make the extra efforts that raised this location from a 4 star to a 5 - everything from discount tickets to local attractions and a well drawn map to help find those casinos to recommendations for a trip to the nearby Pequot Museum -- absolutely not to be missed. Breakfast was served on lovely matching china and one morning included home-grown organic pear compote for the sourdough french toast - yummy! And yes, the cut glass decanter of sherry is really there in every bedroom, a perfect nightcap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We picked Captain Grant's based on Trips rating. There are many things wriiten about this place and it all depends on your own wants. When we arrived,Ted met us and asked if we would like to stay in the main house rather in the other building (close to the road= loud road noise) where we had reserved. Yes. The main building is about 100 feet from route 2a, where the other building is right on the road. Make no mistake, this IS an old building with some refinements. A couple of cobwebs, no big deal and windows that don't seal. The rooms were nice, no flat screens here, bathroom doors that hit the toilet, dont close and has no door handle. Minor. The breakfasts were wonderful, nothing fancy, plentiful and served at 9 am. Being right in between the casinos, we went to Foxwood the first night and Mohegan Sun the second. Very different places. Ted was very helpful and can make suggestions on where to go and what to see. If road noise doesn't bother you, it is a wonderful place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mineola, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My fiance and I (now officially my WIFE!!!!) visited the BnB back in 2011 and are going back there for this upcoming weekend. We loved this place from beginning to end. Carol and Ted welcomed us with open arms and gave us a complete tour of the BNB. They generously provided baked goods and drinks at no charge and made us feel like family. We stayed in the Adelaide room on the second floor. The room was large and had a beautiful bed and large bathroom. The house is historic and you get a feeling of the age of the house from the moment that you walk in. The room was clean and had great windows. We hit both Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun in the same day/night and found that the Captain Grant BnB is about 10 minutres away from both (and cetrally located between them).

We got home rather late from Mohegan Sun and that's when our haunting experience began. We walked in the front door and decided to grab a late night snack. To the left as you walk in there is a computer and lounge and there was no one sitting in the area as we walked in. We got our snacks and as we went up the stairs we both saw a man sitting at the desk and then looked back and he was gone! We are not exactly Ghost Hunters but found it interesting. We went to bed and at about 3 A.M. we started to hear footsteps upstairs, humming, and muted voices. There was also a repeated banging like someone was walking back and forth upstairs. Finally, we heard the distinct barking of a dog all nightWe were annoyed at first, but eventually went back to sleep. In the morning I decided to investigate for myself (sorry Carol!) and opened the door leading to the attic. The attic was completely EMPTY! Whatever we heard was not easily explained. At breakfast several other guests told of similar experiences and once we started to talk we realized that we were the last ones in, so it wasn't late arrivers making the noise. Carol and Ted told us that there are no dogs in their house or the nearby homes and that others staying in the BnB had similar experiences.

As for that breakfast, all we can say is YUM! We had pancakes with both sausage and bacon. Carol and Ted allowed guests to have unlimited portions and offered us 2nds and 3rds (and we had them). They told us stories about the area and after breakfast Ted challenged everyone to a game of billiards. Watch out for him! He's good!

Overall, we had a great experience and would recommend this inn. There is no greater tell if someone likes a place than if they go back, and we are!

Great experience Carol and Ted!

Room Tip: Try out the Adelaide room and maybe you can meet the "prior inhabitants"!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Enfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had booked 2 rooms, the Collette and the Margaret. Both absolutely beautiful. This B&B is perfectly kept as a historical Inn. The historical look, feel and beauty are with you the entire stay. The staff and owners seem to always be in a great mood and very welcoming. The food, very delicious and almost too much as I was splitting the remaining pancakes with other guests to finish the batch. I'm not sure what is it, but not only are the staff and owners always cheery but it seemed to rub off on ourselves and all the other guests as we all had a great time staying there. I will be sure to book the Adelaide room next to confirm what others and ourselves have experienced. There is also billards, big screen TV, board games and cards upstairs if you need to kill time or just want to chat with other guests. This B&B is amazing in every way. I will be sure to book this location any and every time I'm in this part of the state. Thank you Carol, Ted, and the staff, it was more than a pleasure.

-Matt and Luna

Room Tip: If your looking for a beautiful historical B&B look no further!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!