“Beautiful Home, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Captain Grant's, 1754
109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Beautiful Home, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was in the mood to indulge myself with a Bed and Breakfast on a recent solo trip through coastal New England. Captain Grant's was near Mystic and had good reviews. But there was so much more! Very well kept and comfortable, Ted and Carol make the extra efforts that raised this location from a 4 star to a 5 - everything from discount tickets to local attractions and a well drawn map to help find those casinos to recommendations for a trip to the nearby Pequot Museum -- absolutely not to be missed. Breakfast was served on lovely matching china and one morning included home-grown organic pear compote for the sourdough french toast - yummy! And yes, the cut glass decanter of sherry is really there in every bedroom, a perfect nightcap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We picked Captain Grant's based on Trips rating. There are many things wriiten about this place and it all depends on your own wants. When we arrived,Ted met us and asked if we would like to stay in the main house rather in the other building (close to the road= loud road noise) where we had reserved. Yes. The main building is about 100 feet from route 2a, where the other building is right on the road. Make no mistake, this IS an old building with some refinements. A couple of cobwebs, no big deal and windows that don't seal. The rooms were nice, no flat screens here, bathroom doors that hit the toilet, dont close and has no door handle. Minor. The breakfasts were wonderful, nothing fancy, plentiful and served at 9 am. Being right in between the casinos, we went to Foxwood the first night and Mohegan Sun the second. Very different places. Ted was very helpful and can make suggestions on where to go and what to see. If road noise doesn't bother you, it is a wonderful place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mineola, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My fiance and I (now officially my WIFE!!!!) visited the BnB back in 2011 and are going back there for this upcoming weekend. We loved this place from beginning to end. Carol and Ted welcomed us with open arms and gave us a complete tour of the BNB. They generously provided baked goods and drinks at no charge and made us feel like family. We stayed in the Adelaide room on the second floor. The room was large and had a beautiful bed and large bathroom. The house is historic and you get a feeling of the age of the house from the moment that you walk in. The room was clean and had great windows. We hit both Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun in the same day/night and found that the Captain Grant BnB is about 10 minutres away from both (and cetrally located between them).

We got home rather late from Mohegan Sun and that's when our haunting experience began. We walked in the front door and decided to grab a late night snack. To the left as you walk in there is a computer and lounge and there was no one sitting in the area as we walked in. We got our snacks and as we went up the stairs we both saw a man sitting at the desk and then looked back and he was gone! We are not exactly Ghost Hunters but found it interesting. We went to bed and at about 3 A.M. we started to hear footsteps upstairs, humming, and muted voices. There was also a repeated banging like someone was walking back and forth upstairs. Finally, we heard the distinct barking of a dog all nightWe were annoyed at first, but eventually went back to sleep. In the morning I decided to investigate for myself (sorry Carol!) and opened the door leading to the attic. The attic was completely EMPTY! Whatever we heard was not easily explained. At breakfast several other guests told of similar experiences and once we started to talk we realized that we were the last ones in, so it wasn't late arrivers making the noise. Carol and Ted told us that there are no dogs in their house or the nearby homes and that others staying in the BnB had similar experiences.

As for that breakfast, all we can say is YUM! We had pancakes with both sausage and bacon. Carol and Ted allowed guests to have unlimited portions and offered us 2nds and 3rds (and we had them). They told us stories about the area and after breakfast Ted challenged everyone to a game of billiards. Watch out for him! He's good!

Overall, we had a great experience and would recommend this inn. There is no greater tell if someone likes a place than if they go back, and we are!

Great experience Carol and Ted!

Room Tip: Try out the Adelaide room and maybe you can meet the "prior inhabitants"!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Enfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had booked 2 rooms, the Collette and the Margaret. Both absolutely beautiful. This B&B is perfectly kept as a historical Inn. The historical look, feel and beauty are with you the entire stay. The staff and owners seem to always be in a great mood and very welcoming. The food, very delicious and almost too much as I was splitting the remaining pancakes with other guests to finish the batch. I'm not sure what is it, but not only are the staff and owners always cheery but it seemed to rub off on ourselves and all the other guests as we all had a great time staying there. I will be sure to book the Adelaide room next to confirm what others and ourselves have experienced. There is also billards, big screen TV, board games and cards upstairs if you need to kill time or just want to chat with other guests. This B&B is amazing in every way. I will be sure to book this location any and every time I'm in this part of the state. Thank you Carol, Ted, and the staff, it was more than a pleasure.

-Matt and Luna

Room Tip: If your looking for a beautiful historical B&B look no further!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The essence and magic of Captain Grant's are the people who run it, i.e., Carol and Ted. From the moment we arrived until the time we left, they made us feel welcome. It is obvious they work tirelessly to ensure that all of the needs of the visitors are not only met but surpassed. Having stayed at countless hotels, motels and inns in my life, I feel able to comment on the service and care that we received at Captain Grant's- again it is important to note, I am doubtfull how successful this property would be in the absence of Carol and Ted. They struck a perfect balance between checking on our needs and respecting our privacy. They work tirelessly to maintain the upkeep of this very old house and sprawling property.

It is the small things that made our stay special, from the well stocked guest fridge (sodas, wine and beer) all complimentary, as wll as the cookie jar and the cake on the dining room table to help with the 2am munchies. A great deal of work has gone into this property and each day we were there, it was obvious that more wor is being done, from fixing the door knob to the impressive double doors of the main house to the new tile floor that was in the process of being laid in the building we were located. If modern, contemporary design is what you need, then this location is not what you want, however all of us can enjoy a get away from it all weekend, amongst antiques, old world charm and warm and welcoming inn keepers. Despite this style, do not be fooled, Wifi was available to this techy not only throughout the building but also outside as we sat in the numerous seating areas in the lovely gardens. Although we did not have the oportunity to try Carole's famous breakfast, it would seem that previous reviews have commented most favorably.

This property is about 2.5 miles from Mohegan sun, and about 8 miles from Foxwoods and the preety ton of Mystic - Perfect! One does not have to pay the exorbitant rates at the Casino hotels or be subjected to the conveyer belt service of these provide - having stayed in 13 hotels in Las Vegas, I am familiar with the service that is provided. If you want intimate, friendly and the opportunity to while away the day and a peaceful setting, go visit Carol and Ted -they are good people and you will be all the richer for having met them.

A personal thank you to you both!

Alex Campbell (guest there on 8/11 and 8/12/12).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just returned from a night at Captain Grant's B&B. I can't say enough about it. The location is great, so you can visit many attractions including the casinos. The best part was meeting the owners, Ted and Carole, who were so nice and made you feel right at home. We really enjoyed talking with them! The room was very nice with everything you needed. The house was quaint, nicely furnished, and we wished we could have spent more time there, but we will return.
There are drinks and snacks available, downstairs, and sherry in your room. The breakfast was the best. The eggs, which Carol told us how to make, were wonderful as was the french toast with a strawberry rhubarb compote, and sausage!!! A very special touch was the champagne, with choice of juice, to celebrate a couple of anniversaries. I'm sure I am forgetting something, but am tired after just getting back, but didn't want to wait to write this. Thank-you Ted and Carole for sharing your B&B and sitting with us and talking after breakfast, when you had so much to do.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Falll River, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

When I go to a bed & breakfast the first thing I look for is an old house with history. I found that in this b&B for sure. Second thing I like to see is an informative inn keeper on times for breakfast in the morning, coffee etc. someone who shows you the place or at least lets you know the ins and outs of the place and this place had that. Then I like to have my privacy after all the business is done and we absolutely had that.
I loved just sitting outside on the deck and enjoying the warm summer night with my hubby and anywhere else in the inn for that matter. The game room is great. My husband and I had a couple beers and a game of pool one night then the next night we had a drink with a couple we met at breakfast that morning who were also staying at the inn.
On our last morning we had breakfast with Ted & Carol who were very friendly and truly wanted us to enjoy our stay with them. We will definatley be back again whenever we go to Mohegan or Foxwoods and next time we will bring some friends...its is a perfect place for a group of friends to go together before going out to the casinos.. beats a hotel and for the price you get so much more.
Very close to Mohegan... less than 5 minutes I believe and maybe 7-8 minutes to foxwoods...You can't go wrong staying here. The Inn is supposed to be haunted but nothing happened when we were there..We had Elizabeth room which was nice...next time I think I might like to try Amy room but all the rooms looked nice.
I loved waking up to the aroma of fresh coffee... breakfast was good both mornings and its nice that they have complimentary beer, wine & soda along with cookies and some kind of cake for a snack at all times...Thanks Ted & Carol for the hospitality. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!