“Quaint Setting - Wonderful Inn Keepers” 5 of 5 stars

Captain Grant's, 1754
109-111 Route 2A, Poquetanuck, Preston, CT 06365   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Quaint Setting - Wonderful Inn Keepers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The essence and magic of Captain Grant's are the people who run it, i.e., Carol and Ted. From the moment we arrived until the time we left, they made us feel welcome. It is obvious they work tirelessly to ensure that all of the needs of the visitors are not only met but surpassed. Having stayed at countless hotels, motels and inns in my life, I feel able to comment on the service and care that we received at Captain Grant's- again it is important to note, I am doubtfull how successful this property would be in the absence of Carol and Ted. They struck a perfect balance between checking on our needs and respecting our privacy. They work tirelessly to maintain the upkeep of this very old house and sprawling property.

It is the small things that made our stay special, from the well stocked guest fridge (sodas, wine and beer) all complimentary, as wll as the cookie jar and the cake on the dining room table to help with the 2am munchies. A great deal of work has gone into this property and each day we were there, it was obvious that more wor is being done, from fixing the door knob to the impressive double doors of the main house to the new tile floor that was in the process of being laid in the building we were located. If modern, contemporary design is what you need, then this location is not what you want, however all of us can enjoy a get away from it all weekend, amongst antiques, old world charm and warm and welcoming inn keepers. Despite this style, do not be fooled, Wifi was available to this techy not only throughout the building but also outside as we sat in the numerous seating areas in the lovely gardens. Although we did not have the oportunity to try Carole's famous breakfast, it would seem that previous reviews have commented most favorably.

This property is about 2.5 miles from Mohegan sun, and about 8 miles from Foxwoods and the preety ton of Mystic - Perfect! One does not have to pay the exorbitant rates at the Casino hotels or be subjected to the conveyer belt service of these provide - having stayed in 13 hotels in Las Vegas, I am familiar with the service that is provided. If you want intimate, friendly and the opportunity to while away the day and a peaceful setting, go visit Carol and Ted -they are good people and you will be all the richer for having met them.

A personal thank you to you both!

Alex Campbell (guest there on 8/11 and 8/12/12).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We just returned from a night at Captain Grant's B&B. I can't say enough about it. The location is great, so you can visit many attractions including the casinos. The best part was meeting the owners, Ted and Carole, who were so nice and made you feel right at home. We really enjoyed talking with them! The room was very nice with everything you needed. The house was quaint, nicely furnished, and we wished we could have spent more time there, but we will return.
There are drinks and snacks available, downstairs, and sherry in your room. The breakfast was the best. The eggs, which Carol told us how to make, were wonderful as was the french toast with a strawberry rhubarb compote, and sausage!!! A very special touch was the champagne, with choice of juice, to celebrate a couple of anniversaries. I'm sure I am forgetting something, but am tired after just getting back, but didn't want to wait to write this. Thank-you Ted and Carole for sharing your B&B and sitting with us and talking after breakfast, when you had so much to do.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Falll River, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

When I go to a bed & breakfast the first thing I look for is an old house with history. I found that in this b&B for sure. Second thing I like to see is an informative inn keeper on times for breakfast in the morning, coffee etc. someone who shows you the place or at least lets you know the ins and outs of the place and this place had that. Then I like to have my privacy after all the business is done and we absolutely had that.
I loved just sitting outside on the deck and enjoying the warm summer night with my hubby and anywhere else in the inn for that matter. The game room is great. My husband and I had a couple beers and a game of pool one night then the next night we had a drink with a couple we met at breakfast that morning who were also staying at the inn.
On our last morning we had breakfast with Ted & Carol who were very friendly and truly wanted us to enjoy our stay with them. We will definatley be back again whenever we go to Mohegan or Foxwoods and next time we will bring some friends...its is a perfect place for a group of friends to go together before going out to the casinos.. beats a hotel and for the price you get so much more.
Very close to Mohegan... less than 5 minutes I believe and maybe 7-8 minutes to foxwoods...You can't go wrong staying here. The Inn is supposed to be haunted but nothing happened when we were there..We had Elizabeth room which was nice...next time I think I might like to try Amy room but all the rooms looked nice.
I loved waking up to the aroma of fresh coffee... breakfast was good both mornings and its nice that they have complimentary beer, wine & soda along with cookies and some kind of cake for a snack at all times...Thanks Ted & Carol for the hospitality. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

wife and I stayed there for 3 days. rooms are ok but have very little places for luggage. spider webs were hanging from ceiling(I killed 3 spiders myself) and not sure if the other rooms had the same problem.. Breakfasts were just ok nothing special. The same cake sat on the table the 3 days we stayed.(the so called snak). We have stayed in many old B&B's and this one is on the bottom of my list. The inn keepers were very nice. It is a very old B&B and has lots of history but could use some more TLC. I did not say anything to the inn keepers about the spider webs but probably should have.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Captain Grant's, 1754, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
I was flabbergasted when this review came up. This was a very nice couple who stayed three days, never complained, and were complimentary. I wish they had said something about their problems with us when they were here.
I will tackle breakfast first. We have had close to 30,000 guests at Captain Grant's. Virtualy everyone has conplimented us on our breakfast. All of our breakfasts include meat, eggs, juice, fruit and some type of starch such as bagels or home fries and toast. Our conpotes, home made jams and jellies are vey good. Or so say our guests.
Snacks are next. Cake lasts three day7s. Our extras inlude cake, cookies, wine, beer, soda and a carafe of sherry in the room. All are complinentary.
As far as TLC, my husband and I were more that flabbergasted. Please go on www.captaingrants.com and click on our virtual tour. There are arrows that will show you our ceilings and floors. This is a magnificent home that gets daily attention. Please see our other reviews.
Then there are the spiders. I am afraide that spiders do come and go. They build their nesrs in one day. Thankfully they are harmless and eat other bugs. We are in a country village with no one in back of us for at least a mile. You may encounter wild turkeys, deer, an eagle or two and rabbits. We have almost no night time bugs inluding mosquitoes. This is due to bat caves on Poquetanuck Cove.
Storage in the Elizabeth room has an alcove where you can hang clothes, a five foot tall narrow antique dentist cabinet and a lower three drawer cabinet. There is a bench at the end of the bed. You can see it all on our virtual tour.
Carol
Long Island N Y
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Our son purchased tickets to Ringo and his all-star band at Mohegan Sun for Fathers Day. We wanted to spend Sunday night near the casino and we always travel with our lhasa apso. When we searched pet-friendly, we found Captain Grants and booked Saturday and Sunday night. It was so welcoming and friendly that we hardly left the B&B all weekend. There are 3 patio decks where one can read and chat while having a free glass of wine. There is a pasture in back of the B&B where you and your doggie can roam. And if you're into the supernatural, there are rumors of ghosts in the house and in the cemetery adjacent to their field...spooky! The rooms are gorgeous and period, the breakfasts were extraordinary, and are our hosts were more than cordial. Not only do we want to return, we tried...but they were already booked for that night. We were disappointed to hear that but certainly understand-everyone else wants the best too. Thanks Ted and Carol for a lovely stay and hi from Yuji.

Room Tip: "Adelaide" is purported to be haunted.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Altamont, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

In March 2012, my husband and I stayed at the Captain Grant's Inn in Preston Connecticut, for our honeymoon. Though he has stayed at B&Bs before, I hadn’t but really wanted the experience. I wasn't disappointed! We stayed for three nights and loved every minute of our stay and didn't want to leave. The Inn’s is location offers a peaceful getaway, but is just a short drive from Mystic, New London and the Mohegan Sun.

Ted and carol were gracious and accommodating from the start and made us feel welcome every minute. We were going to be late arrival and they made every accommodation for our situation. Upon our arrival we discovered a pleasant note from Carol welcoming us to the Inn and found our room prepared for us. We found the atmosphere of the Inn to be warm and inviting. Our first encounter upon our arrival was the broad, grand staircase. The Inn is decorated with a marvelous selection of antiques, warm colors and murals. We stayed in the Collette room and found it to be large, with a wood beam ceiling and pleasantly decorated. The iron sleigh bed wasn’t what we expected from an inn or hotel. The bed and mattress were perfect and provided us with a comfortable and sound sleep.

The part of our stay that we looked forward to most was breakfast. Every morning Carol and Ted provided the early risers with fresh coffee and tea in the parlour while breakfast was being prepared. All the guests sat together at a large dining table that was graced with beautiful 18th century style china. The food was delicious and plentiful, with fresh fruit and a different main course every morning. What made breakfast truly enjoyable for us was the opportunity to sit over breakfast with Carol, Ted and the other guests, getting to know them and engaging in conversation that sometimes lasted past our meal.

As for ghostly encounters, guests at the inn have reported paranormal activity for years, and our stay was no different. While exploring the Adelaide room, my husband and I heard the voice of a young girl, although there were no children staying at the inn.

We have already reserved a room for November and are looking forward to our next visit. We can’t think of a better place to have spent our honeymoon. Ted and Carol have spoiled staying at other B&Bs for us, I know that we will compare all of them to the Captain Grant’s Inn.

Thanks Ted and Carol

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Ted and Carol have made a beautiful place to stay. The old house is gorgeously decorated and is comfortable to the point of homey, with a beautiful billiards room and free wine, beer, sherry, and soda. The rooms are cozy. Breakfast is very, very good and there is always plenty of food. It's an actual homemade breakfast, too. Ted and Carol are incredible hosts. They will answer any question and they're just lovely to be around. We recommend this place.

Room Tip: The Marie, the cheapest room, is quite small, but if you don't mind, it's a lovely room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!