“not as good as we had hoped” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Strawberry Park Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Preston
Strawberry Park Resort
Save Saved
You added Strawberry Park Resort to your Saves list
42 Pierce Road, Preston, CT 06365   |
Bristol, Connecticut
“not as good as we had hoped”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My family went to Strawberry Park this last weekend. We had heard great things but unfortunately felt it did not live up to its hype.
3 pools so close together we felt like we were at a motel, and so crowded. Only 2 bathroom facilities, large, but not well maintained as far as cleanliness and smelled bad as soon as you walked by. Security staff almost non-existent, and at the gates you could just go through the open gate in your car. They give you a tag for your windshield but no one checked it or even looked after we arrived. Their creamery had run of the mill food, nothing special.
This was 4th of July weekend, and prime $$, $100/night with 2 dogs, 2 kids and full hookup
You had to purchase Wifi, but such poor reception it was not worth it at all. Camp store run of the mill. Many young adults working there, not very helpful attitudes. Activities had an egg toss contest, and the camp supplied the eggs, nice, but the next day they we still not picked up, shells and eggs all over the side of field, smelling and looking bad in the hot sun.

Now the positives: we did have a large shady site. Activities are their thing they do the best, every hour from the morning until late, bingo every day with large prizes on Sat. Ceramics were nice but the man only stayed for 2 hours. Their ice cream was very good and inexpensive. Their new pet friendly policy worked for us. If it hadn't been for that, we would not have gone.

All in all, very expensive. Could have gone to a hotel for that, I think we'll pass and go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Yes, Dave is gone, yes I miss him. But lets be honest, SP is still a wonderful place to go. TONS of activities, awesome bands and DJ's and just all around a great atmosphere. I highly recommend visiting, I know you won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Medford, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The new staff was not terrible but the guy calling bingo was driving away people. new prize system for holloween was terrable most full timers did not even decorate, We spoke to many of the yearly site owners and they were very unhappy. it seems like the new owners have staff members writing reviews to boost up good reviews, They should send apoligy letters to all for changing things so bad with no heads up, they need to put controls back in place like stopping the golf cart racing going on. could go on all night but people will judge for themselves

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
West Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just got back from Halloween Weekend 4 at Strawberry Park as we have done for 20 years. I have to agree that the new management needs a little more time to tweak the changes they have started to make. Change is always hard and risky but without it things grow stale. Overall it was a great experience as always. Personally I liked the laminated certificates and the trophies. I'm not sure if there were "real prizes" (I assume this means $ to spend at grill or store?) but if there weren't that is something that should be brought back. A $5 to $20 gift certificate to the store isn't going to break the bank and kids get excited about spending their prize. Good idea to move dance inside and for all ages - some years it was hard to attend the adult dance because couldn't leave kids and weren't supposed to bring with. Great that the upstairs hall is now open with pool tables, ping pong, reading corner, etc., HOWEVER.., it MUST have staff supervision. When we were there for the dance a group of pre-teen boys stepped on and broke all the ping pong balls, plus ripped the netting. Haunted maze per the teenage girls I was with needs some work.They only went in once whereas in years past they went through the haunted hall many times. Bonfire needs music or something - can only watch wood buring for so long. Movie night on Friday evening in place of the Friday night bingo was a nice change but please bring back Sunday late morning Bingo. Staff was overall pleasant and informative but not very enthusiastic. Make some jokes, crack a smile, encourage particpation. Not sure when they stopped trash pick up but obviously many people were unaware of the change because trash bags were left at curb in many places - I can forsee this being a problem in the summer of if you have less environmentally responsible people camping, Can it really cost that much to have staff pick up trash with the tractor daily?

Preston, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I respectively disagree with some of the facts stated in Halloween review. I have been at Strawberry Park only for a couple of years but I have to say that I find the staff very hard working and thoughtful when putting on the events. The "laminated certificates" is so that more people receive awards and appreciation is shown for all participating. While it may not seem it to you, but a lot of thought went into those; as well as the many, many, many trophies that were handed out to winners as well. I find that much nicer than the credits awarded to only a few campers each weekend. The grill prices.....sorry no increase this year and unless you took a ruler to the Haunted House last year and a ruler to the Haunted Maze to determine that it is EXACTLY 1/6th of the size of previous years, hmmmmm. There are no outside companies running events with the exception of dj's or bands that are hired; as was in previous years. If you are bored at bingo, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I think if you had expressed that to the many manager's, they would have appreciated your input. These are the facts. I think people need to give the new owners and staff a chance. The first year in any business is the trial run. Some things work and some things don't. It's better than resting on their laurels and never wanting to do better. There are many things to do here and we never get bored.

Medford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went for the Halloween weekend, Like we have done for 14 years. It was Unorganized. Activities start late. More of them are now run by outside companies who showed up late and made lines for people to wait at. Bingo was so droning that my neice kept imitating Ben Stein saying "Bueller, Bueller".. He was putting us to sleep, we were so bored. No one showed for the Sunday Hypnotist because most already went home. After trick or treating you go to the all age dance that cleared out after the "laminated certificates" were awarded. No more real prizes for your efforts. I guess they went the way of corporate savings as well. I read from other people that the prices went up at the food stand. OH boy did they. Example: a regular coffee is cheaper at Starbucks. The haunted house walk. It is now downstairs, and EXACTLY 1/6th the size it used to be. And by the way, it was open from 4 pm to 10 pm Saturday for your enjoyment -- if you want to miss the costume judging and trick or treating so you can go to it. They did have a guy there, when we were leaving, who was putting up that cheap plastic wallboard in the mens room. I found that the bathrooms can become a mess from the cheap tissue they purchased. It is so thin you can read through it. It falls apart easily and it's rolls were not made for the dispensers they are in. So it breaks apart all over the place. I guess the people get aggravated after a while and just leave it where it falls. And yes, golf carts do 180's drive fast and in general are a danger, and I'm lax. This is the end of a family tradition.

Massachusetts, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My third visit to Strawberry wasn't as pleasant as the first 2 times last summer. Spent Labor day weekend there with my sister and kids. The activities are still fantastic, but boy was it CROWDED!!! So crowded they couldn't keep up with cleaning the bathrooms. The bathrooms were filthy dirty the whole weekend. I had never gone on a weekend before and not a fan. Mid week is so much cleaner and quieter. One day there was a super soaker wagon ride. All the people on the wagon were squirting people on the roads and at campsites with squirt guns as they drove by, as well as us campers squirting them with hoses, and throwing buckets of water at them. Really fun! Only problem is my 12 yr old son heaved a plastic bucket of water up at the wagon and it slipped out of his hands sending the bucket sailing into the air hitting a little girl on the wagon in the head. The wagon stopped, the parent brought the little girl over to us very angered (can't really blame him his baby got hurt) and expected an apology. I told him it was a complete accident and my son didn't mean it to happen. My son was hiding in the tent cuz he was so scared. I called him out, made him apologize and off they went. I felt really bad and was very upset with my son for being so clumsy. Well... that one incident made the rest of out trip very unpleasant. We were getting snarky comments from passer by's and people driving by on golf carts pointing at us giving dirty looks. Didn't realize how fast news travels until I found out the little girl involved was a relative of the manager. Really left a bad taste in our mouths after that. Not sure we will feel welcome there again. It's sad, accidents happen.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Strawberry Park Resort? Share your experiences!