“dont go there” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Strawberry Park Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Preston
Strawberry Park Resort
You added Strawberry Park Resort to your Saves list
42 Pierce Road, Preston, CT 06365   |
Medford, New York
“dont go there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The new staff was not terrible but the guy calling bingo was driving away people. new prize system for holloween was terrable most full timers did not even decorate, We spoke to many of the yearly site owners and they were very unhappy. it seems like the new owners have staff members writing reviews to boost up good reviews, They should send apoligy letters to all for changing things so bad with no heads up, they need to put controls back in place like stopping the golf cart racing going on. could go on all night but people will judge for themselves

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
West Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just got back from Halloween Weekend 4 at Strawberry Park as we have done for 20 years. I have to agree that the new management needs a little more time to tweak the changes they have started to make. Change is always hard and risky but without it things grow stale. Overall it was a great experience as always. Personally I liked the laminated certificates and the trophies. I'm not sure if there were "real prizes" (I assume this means $ to spend at grill or store?) but if there weren't that is something that should be brought back. A $5 to $20 gift certificate to the store isn't going to break the bank and kids get excited about spending their prize. Good idea to move dance inside and for all ages - some years it was hard to attend the adult dance because couldn't leave kids and weren't supposed to bring with. Great that the upstairs hall is now open with pool tables, ping pong, reading corner, etc., HOWEVER.., it MUST have staff supervision. When we were there for the dance a group of pre-teen boys stepped on and broke all the ping pong balls, plus ripped the netting. Haunted maze per the teenage girls I was with needs some work.They only went in once whereas in years past they went through the haunted hall many times. Bonfire needs music or something - can only watch wood buring for so long. Movie night on Friday evening in place of the Friday night bingo was a nice change but please bring back Sunday late morning Bingo. Staff was overall pleasant and informative but not very enthusiastic. Make some jokes, crack a smile, encourage particpation. Not sure when they stopped trash pick up but obviously many people were unaware of the change because trash bags were left at curb in many places - I can forsee this being a problem in the summer of if you have less environmentally responsible people camping, Can it really cost that much to have staff pick up trash with the tractor daily?

Preston, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I respectively disagree with some of the facts stated in Halloween review. I have been at Strawberry Park only for a couple of years but I have to say that I find the staff very hard working and thoughtful when putting on the events. The "laminated certificates" is so that more people receive awards and appreciation is shown for all participating. While it may not seem it to you, but a lot of thought went into those; as well as the many, many, many trophies that were handed out to winners as well. I find that much nicer than the credits awarded to only a few campers each weekend. The grill prices.....sorry no increase this year and unless you took a ruler to the Haunted House last year and a ruler to the Haunted Maze to determine that it is EXACTLY 1/6th of the size of previous years, hmmmmm. There are no outside companies running events with the exception of dj's or bands that are hired; as was in previous years. If you are bored at bingo, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I think if you had expressed that to the many manager's, they would have appreciated your input. These are the facts. I think people need to give the new owners and staff a chance. The first year in any business is the trial run. Some things work and some things don't. It's better than resting on their laurels and never wanting to do better. There are many things to do here and we never get bored.

Medford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went for the Halloween weekend, Like we have done for 14 years. It was Unorganized. Activities start late. More of them are now run by outside companies who showed up late and made lines for people to wait at. Bingo was so droning that my neice kept imitating Ben Stein saying "Bueller, Bueller".. He was putting us to sleep, we were so bored. No one showed for the Sunday Hypnotist because most already went home. After trick or treating you go to the all age dance that cleared out after the "laminated certificates" were awarded. No more real prizes for your efforts. I guess they went the way of corporate savings as well. I read from other people that the prices went up at the food stand. OH boy did they. Example: a regular coffee is cheaper at Starbucks. The haunted house walk. It is now downstairs, and EXACTLY 1/6th the size it used to be. And by the way, it was open from 4 pm to 10 pm Saturday for your enjoyment -- if you want to miss the costume judging and trick or treating so you can go to it. They did have a guy there, when we were leaving, who was putting up that cheap plastic wallboard in the mens room. I found that the bathrooms can become a mess from the cheap tissue they purchased. It is so thin you can read through it. It falls apart easily and it's rolls were not made for the dispensers they are in. So it breaks apart all over the place. I guess the people get aggravated after a while and just leave it where it falls. And yes, golf carts do 180's drive fast and in general are a danger, and I'm lax. This is the end of a family tradition.

Massachusetts, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My third visit to Strawberry wasn't as pleasant as the first 2 times last summer. Spent Labor day weekend there with my sister and kids. The activities are still fantastic, but boy was it CROWDED!!! So crowded they couldn't keep up with cleaning the bathrooms. The bathrooms were filthy dirty the whole weekend. I had never gone on a weekend before and not a fan. Mid week is so much cleaner and quieter. One day there was a super soaker wagon ride. All the people on the wagon were squirting people on the roads and at campsites with squirt guns as they drove by, as well as us campers squirting them with hoses, and throwing buckets of water at them. Really fun! Only problem is my 12 yr old son heaved a plastic bucket of water up at the wagon and it slipped out of his hands sending the bucket sailing into the air hitting a little girl on the wagon in the head. The wagon stopped, the parent brought the little girl over to us very angered (can't really blame him his baby got hurt) and expected an apology. I told him it was a complete accident and my son didn't mean it to happen. My son was hiding in the tent cuz he was so scared. I called him out, made him apologize and off they went. I felt really bad and was very upset with my son for being so clumsy. Well... that one incident made the rest of out trip very unpleasant. We were getting snarky comments from passer by's and people driving by on golf carts pointing at us giving dirty looks. Didn't realize how fast news travels until I found out the little girl involved was a relative of the manager. Really left a bad taste in our mouths after that. Not sure we will feel welcome there again. It's sad, accidents happen.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
West Babylon, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We rented an RV at this resort for the 35th annual country weekend. Our RV smelled like sewage. They came and supposedly "fixed the problem" but the next day we had sewer water backing up into our shower and again sewage smell. Came down again and "fixed" it. The time spent having to go down to take showers at the bathrooms caused us to miss some events that we came to participate in. The music and dance instruction was fine but the rv condition and the smell was HORRIBLE

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
White Plains, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family and another family have been camping at Strawberry Park for over 7 yrs. now. The 7 of us were just there over Memorial Day weekend and rented one of their RV's. I am usually the one to check us in and I have to say as soon as I walked through the office door I was stunned at the renovation of the office. Fresh paint, open and airy and a nice welcome from the young man behind the desk. We always rent a golf cart and when I went to turn it on it didn't budge. I went back in and told the young man that it wasn't moving and he quickly reassigned me another cart which work perfectly. Got to our normal RV rental and it was spic and span clean. The only suggestion I would make since it is now under new management, is possibly leaving a small vacuum and a mop in the RV so that whoever is renting it can vacuum up the dirt that is brought in going in and out and mop the floor, I like to keep my home clean and I do the same when I am renting. I usually bring my own cleaning supplies but it would be a great perk not to have to do that. As far as the activities, it is a bit different without Dave around especially during Bingo. But hopefully the new young staff will get it and restore the fun that used to be. As far as allowing your pets to walk around the camp ground all I have to say is "THANK YOU". Our dogs enjoy camping with us and we have avoided bring them because of the previous strict rules. Unlike some irresponsible dog owners, we pick up after our pets! Our dogs do not bark and are pretty much couch potatoes. They just want to hang around where ever we are. They enjoy taking walks in the early morning but after that they are on site lying beside the camp fire. We were unaware of the new rules and left them home this past time, but we will make sure we bring them next time around. Glad that they finally paved the roads. It will definitely keep the camp areas clean. We did not experience any drunken teenagers on bikes or for that matter making any loud noises. We go to bed late so we were walking after that hour and really saw 1 or 2 adults doing the same thing and not kids. As far as the kid’s pools, it would be nice if they could heat those 2 pools. The water is very cold most of the time and our daughter ends up coming out of the pool shivering and with blue lips. The one only true complain we have is the mattresses. They really need to invest in a thicker firmer mattress for the RV's and a thicker mattress cover. Ours was ripped and although I have yet to see 1 bed bug, it opens the possibility to allow them to come in. Overall we always enjoy coming to Strawberry Park every year and will continue to do so in the future as it has become a tradition for us and our friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Strawberry Park Resort? Share your experiences!