“not the same anymore, not even close” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Strawberry Park Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Preston
Strawberry Park Resort
You added Strawberry Park Resort to your Saves list
42 Pierce Road, Preston, CT 06365   |
Medford
“not the same anymore, not even close”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went for the Halloween weekend, Like we have done for 14 years. It was Unorganized. Activities start late. More of them are now run by outside companies who showed up late and made lines for people to wait at. Bingo was so droning that my neice kept imitating Ben Stein saying "Bueller, Bueller".. He was putting us to sleep, we were so bored. No one showed for the Sunday Hypnotist because most already went home. After trick or treating you go to the all age dance that cleared out after the "laminated certificates" were awarded. No more real prizes for your efforts. I guess they went the way of corporate savings as well. I read from other people that the prices went up at the food stand. OH boy did they. Example: a regular coffee is cheaper at Starbucks. The haunted house walk. It is now downstairs, and EXACTLY 1/6th the size it used to be. And by the way, it was open from 4 pm to 10 pm Saturday for your enjoyment -- if you want to miss the costume judging and trick or treating so you can go to it. They did have a guy there, when we were leaving, who was putting up that cheap plastic wallboard in the mens room. I found that the bathrooms can become a mess from the cheap tissue they purchased. It is so thin you can read through it. It falls apart easily and it's rolls were not made for the dispensers they are in. So it breaks apart all over the place. I guess the people get aggravated after a while and just leave it where it falls. And yes, golf carts do 180's drive fast and in general are a danger, and I'm lax. This is the end of a family tradition.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Massachusetts, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My third visit to Strawberry wasn't as pleasant as the first 2 times last summer. Spent Labor day weekend there with my sister and kids. The activities are still fantastic, but boy was it CROWDED!!! So crowded they couldn't keep up with cleaning the bathrooms. The bathrooms were filthy dirty the whole weekend. I had never gone on a weekend before and not a fan. Mid week is so much cleaner and quieter. One day there was a super soaker wagon ride. All the people on the wagon were squirting people on the roads and at campsites with squirt guns as they drove by, as well as us campers squirting them with hoses, and throwing buckets of water at them. Really fun! Only problem is my 12 yr old son heaved a plastic bucket of water up at the wagon and it slipped out of his hands sending the bucket sailing into the air hitting a little girl on the wagon in the head. The wagon stopped, the parent brought the little girl over to us very angered (can't really blame him his baby got hurt) and expected an apology. I told him it was a complete accident and my son didn't mean it to happen. My son was hiding in the tent cuz he was so scared. I called him out, made him apologize and off they went. I felt really bad and was very upset with my son for being so clumsy. Well... that one incident made the rest of out trip very unpleasant. We were getting snarky comments from passer by's and people driving by on golf carts pointing at us giving dirty looks. Didn't realize how fast news travels until I found out the little girl involved was a relative of the manager. Really left a bad taste in our mouths after that. Not sure we will feel welcome there again. It's sad, accidents happen.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
West Babylon, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We rented an RV at this resort for the 35th annual country weekend. Our RV smelled like sewage. They came and supposedly "fixed the problem" but the next day we had sewer water backing up into our shower and again sewage smell. Came down again and "fixed" it. The time spent having to go down to take showers at the bathrooms caused us to miss some events that we came to participate in. The music and dance instruction was fine but the rv condition and the smell was HORRIBLE

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
White Plains, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family and another family have been camping at Strawberry Park for over 7 yrs. now. The 7 of us were just there over Memorial Day weekend and rented one of their RV's. I am usually the one to check us in and I have to say as soon as I walked through the office door I was stunned at the renovation of the office. Fresh paint, open and airy and a nice welcome from the young man behind the desk. We always rent a golf cart and when I went to turn it on it didn't budge. I went back in and told the young man that it wasn't moving and he quickly reassigned me another cart which work perfectly. Got to our normal RV rental and it was spic and span clean. The only suggestion I would make since it is now under new management, is possibly leaving a small vacuum and a mop in the RV so that whoever is renting it can vacuum up the dirt that is brought in going in and out and mop the floor, I like to keep my home clean and I do the same when I am renting. I usually bring my own cleaning supplies but it would be a great perk not to have to do that. As far as the activities, it is a bit different without Dave around especially during Bingo. But hopefully the new young staff will get it and restore the fun that used to be. As far as allowing your pets to walk around the camp ground all I have to say is "THANK YOU". Our dogs enjoy camping with us and we have avoided bring them because of the previous strict rules. Unlike some irresponsible dog owners, we pick up after our pets! Our dogs do not bark and are pretty much couch potatoes. They just want to hang around where ever we are. They enjoy taking walks in the early morning but after that they are on site lying beside the camp fire. We were unaware of the new rules and left them home this past time, but we will make sure we bring them next time around. Glad that they finally paved the roads. It will definitely keep the camp areas clean. We did not experience any drunken teenagers on bikes or for that matter making any loud noises. We go to bed late so we were walking after that hour and really saw 1 or 2 adults doing the same thing and not kids. As far as the kid’s pools, it would be nice if they could heat those 2 pools. The water is very cold most of the time and our daughter ends up coming out of the pool shivering and with blue lips. The one only true complain we have is the mattresses. They really need to invest in a thicker firmer mattress for the RV's and a thicker mattress cover. Ours was ripped and although I have yet to see 1 bed bug, it opens the possibility to allow them to come in. Overall we always enjoy coming to Strawberry Park every year and will continue to do so in the future as it has become a tradition for us and our friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Would have rated it good until the last day. Short version... Mix up between rainy day schedule and regular schedule, i kept getting different answers causing my daughter to miss several events she hoped for. Young staff member told me one thing, when I went to the manager Gary and he found out the boy completely lied to me he got very embarrassed. His response? He told me to change my attitude! I could not believe it after the money we spent for the week and all the extras. Still in the end his whole staff was on regular schedule and he is telling me they were on rainy day schedule! They threw a box on a table with glue, markers and beads. The staff said " here are the arts and crafts, we have nothing planed just finish up by 7" and they walked away. Won't spend my money here anymore. Found out it is under new ownership after almost 40 years. Well it won't last!

Stayed August 2013
Boston, Mass.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

While there are many improvements and added activities , there are serious issues with safety . Cars are allowed to speed on the new paved roads without regard to small children riding their bikes. While we can't harp on Dave forever, he was all about rules and rules are good. Kids are allowed to ride without a helmet and ride after dark. While parents should be responsible for their child's behavior obviously they aren't. There have been incidents of thefts from campers. There have been incidents of underage drinking and drunk golf cart riders . This is allowed to continue. It all is an accident waiting to happen. The new pet policy seemed like a good idea, but it had turned into a nightmare with more dogs there it brings lots more barking dogs. Shame on the people who don't pick up after their pets. We don't like stepping in what you are too lazy or inconsiderate to pick up. The improvements and new activities are a step in the right direction, however the other things I've mentioned are going to be the reason so many long time campers are turning away.

• Stayed August 2013
New Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have been to Strawberry Park for quite a while. It is great! Whether you are with your friends, or family it is for everyone. First of all, the bike way is safe and every time i have been here, i bike because i love the trail. You can bike all around.And there are bike parking so your bike doesnt get lost. The showers are great, they are free. The bathroom and showers are very clean.You can rent a golf cart. The best thing is the entertainment. There is something for every kid, adult, family member to do. There is horse- back riding, where the staff are by the kid's side guiding the horse and kid around. There are two family pools, one with a diving board. There is an adult pool with daily excersices, volleyball, pool basketball, and there are hottubs. There is a kitty pool that is very safe for the toddlers and babies. And they have a jumpy pillow- to those who dont know. the Jumpy pilow is a huge bouncy for the kids. Don't worry! The staff members equaly split time for the toddlers to jump, then the older kids, and the teens so the young kids dont get hurt if the big kids are on. Which they wont... Then they have an arcade- which you can actually pick what you want after winning tickets. They have bingo like every day and they have activities every hour for the kids. Plus, they have a park. And the park has a climb thing for the kids, it is fun.The snack shack is open most of the day. Then, if you need to get a drink or something, you can go to the snack shack or the store. the store has many suveniors, and your daily food and drink requests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Strawberry Park Resort? Share your experiences!